The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CL1B Settings...rap vocals
Old 1st May 2012
CL1B Settings...rap vocals

Hi everyone,

So I just got my CL1B about a week and a half ago and been using it every chance I have. Used it in tracking and mixing. I've been having a harder time finding a good setting with rap vocals. I've read a lot of people use slow attack and fast release but i find myself going for a faster attack and medium release.

My biggest problem so far i've been running into are the plosives. Compression while tracking is new to me so I keep scrambling to get rid of those over exaggerated plosives. Can't figure out if its the attack or the threshold.

Anybody care to share their CL1B vocal settings?

Also, does the ratio knob DO anything????

Peace!
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

There are really no "magic settings" for rap vocals but I'm usually at 4:1 ratio, manual, and between 12-2pm on both attack/release. Gain reduction to taste. The CL1B can do a decent amount of GR without artifacts.
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

Hey, I use it alot for rap. Either 4:1 or 6:1 ratio, attack and release around 10 o' clock. Average around -5 GR. Remember, the faster the release, the more harsh it will sound. Not that it ever sounds harsh but it does pop out "s's" more the faster the release. It's really dependant on the vocalist.......and the mic..........and the pre.
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

There are no magic settings
However,a good starting point would be 4:1 with the attack at 10 oclock and the release at 2 oclock and the threshold at 12oclock and just go from there.
Keep your rapper about 5 fingers from the mike and use a pop filter
Old 1st May 2012
Thanks everyone,

let me pose another question. Right now I'm using the TT to track with, and UAD 1176 to mix. Anybody use any different compressors for mixing? If your using an 1176, how are you using it?

I got a slow attack, fast release, not too much GR.
Old 1st May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AposL View Post
Thanks everyone,

let me pose another question. Right now I'm using the TT to track with, and UAD 1176 to mix. Anybody use any different compressors for mixing? If your using an 1176, how are you using it?

I do all the time, my usual tracking chain for vocals is an ADL 600 into a CL1b.
In the mix I tend to use an Oram GMS on the vocal. To be honest you can leave the CL1b on auto and it will be fine 99.9% of the time. 4:1 works well and use a pop filter and don't let the artist get too close to the mic
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AposL View Post
Thanks everyone,

Attack 6, Release 7, 12:1, 5-7db of GR.

Magic.
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.rOk.stA View Post
Attack 6, Release 7, 12:1, 5-7db of GR.

Magic.
Completely agree.
Old 4th September 2016
old post, just adding my settings i use with my cl1b to the forum for ideas: GAIN:noon, RATIO: 11 o'clock, THRESH:10 o'clock, ATTACK: 2 o'clock, RELEASE: 2 o'clock MANUAL,
Look for about 4-6 GR in hottest peaks, that will give you a nice starting point and adjust for desired compression

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search