The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beyer Mic TG V90r Ribbon Microphones
Old 26th April 2012
Here for the gear

Beyer Mic TG V90r

Hello;

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this mic. I use it for live vocal work and really like the detail and clarity. Just looking for other thoughts.

Thanks
Sam Baker
Dallas, TX
Old 15th April 2013
Here for the gear

Hi there,

maybe the answer comes a bit late, but the BD V90 is a wonderful piece of gear. I run it on vocals and on guitar cabinets for recording. I love the decent top end and the tight low end. It is a nice ribbon mic, which is not on the dark side like others but it still comes around in a nice restrained way.
Old 1st May 2013
Lives for gear

BUMP
Anyone else wanna share their experience with this mic?
How does it compare to the M160, especially on guitar cabs?
Old 1st May 2013
Lives for gear

I use it a lot on el. guitars. It seems to take volume better than my 160. It can be placed right at the grill, while a 160 often get nasty in this position. I always thought 160s sound ugly if placed too close to the cab, esp on loud signals. But there are volume limits with the TG90r, too. I would not place it at the grill of a cranked Rectifier driven 4x12".
Compared to the usual suspects the TG90r has a certain clarity and richness in detail which I didn´t experience with dynamics before. What I used to do a lot was combining a CMV563 for it´s detail and richness with a M160 or e609 for it´s bite. The TG90r gives me more or less both attributes of this combination in one mike.
Old 11th February 2014
Here for the gear

hello Jessenmann, you said you would not place it at the grill of a cranked Rectifier driven 4x12. But front a Orange 2x12 with a 15 watt dark terror half cranked it would be ok for you? it's just that I love this mic and I do not want to damaged,. Thanks Jeff
Old 11th February 2014
Lives for gear

Hi Jeff
Lately I´ve used it in front of a Rectifier driven 4x12" and it worked like a charm. The sound was not very bassheavy, though. Crunchy rhythm to be more precise. Maybe that´s why it worked despite the volume. I don´t know. Maybe my forementioned statement was too generalized. Anyway it´s good to rethink and retry things like that. So yes, go for it. 15W seems not too much of a danger.
Old 12th February 2014
Here for the gear

Thank you very much!
Old 24th October 2014
BUMP. Let's revive this thread! Has anyone had a chance to compare the TG V90R with say an M500? Also, has anyone blended this microphone with another mic and gotten great results? I've got one on layaway at my local GC and I am seriously dying to try it out on distorted guitars. I got a chance to plug it in for a second while I was at GC. It was running into a Scarlett 2i2 and I was monitoring on AKG K44 headphones; not the best setup, but hey, it was good to hear it a bit before I made a move. My initial impression was that it had some airy top end detail, but not in a harsh way. Very complex and dimensional sounding. I didn't hear any exaggerated proximity effect and my voice was right up on the mic. I've got a transformerless SM57 and a Sennheiser E906 that I am planning to blend the V90R with. If anyone has had experience with this mic, please share!
Old 26th October 2014
Old 7th November 2014
I brought the Beyerdynamic TGV90R a few weeks ago, but just got around to plugging it in and giving it a whirl. I'm using a Soldano Astroverb into a Marshall 2061CX 2X12 cabinet. My interface is an Apogee Duet with Pro Tools 11 as my DAW.

I mic'd up my guitar cabinet in the style of the Royer Method, with the V90R right in the center of the speaker cone and my Sennheiser E906 (set to flat) where the cone meets the paper, checked to make sure they were in phase, and turned up my amp. My first impressions were that it's very crunchy and honkey by itself, it doesn't have a whole lot of low end. There is very little proximity effect, if any at all. The mic really adds depth and realism to the guitar cab when used in this way - it's not hyped in any frequencies, it's just wide open and flat. You can really stick it anywhere on the speaker without it ever being harsh or overbearing in any frequencies. On clean guitars, I find myself using more of the V90R than the E906, but for distorted guitars I am just dialing in a little bit to get that 3khz+ blended in with the E906. I have not tried the E906 with the top boost on yet, but I don't think I will need to with the V90R in the mix.

There isn't a whole lot of information on this mic online, so I really went out on a limb with this one. It's designed for on stage vocal use, which I think it would be good for as well. Particularly female jazz vocals, with a mellow preamp. No where on Beyer's website or anywhere does it say that it's good for guitar cabs, but hey, it sounds great. That's all I care about...
Old 7th November 2014
Lives for gear

Some Beyer mics just don't get the attention they deserve. I'm also curious about the 90r and lacking one in my arsenal, I can only add with an answer to post #8 that the M500 (I got three of them, they all sound a bit different) has quite a bump at 3k, takes high volume okay (according to some list it seems to be classic ribbon that takes the most SPL - modern mics like the Royer and especially the Crowley+Tripp take way more) and doesn't sound wooly like some other ribbons. The M500 was Sinatras live mic of choice and you will find many pics with ABBA and M500s on vocals.
Old 1st May 2018
AMZ
Here for the gear

I'm a big fan of Beyerdynamic ribbon mics. I've owned and/or used the M500, M 160 and now this one, the TG V90r. I'm just getting into the TG V90r but so far I'm in love with it. I actually sold an RCA 77-DX to get this mic. I love the RCA but it feeds back like crazy in a live setting because it's so big. I wanted a live vocal mic with a ribbon and good feedback rejection and this served that want perfectly. It has a certain silky, transparent yet cut through the mix vibe that makes you want to sing better into it and therefore will sing better. It's hard to explain but it's just...right. You'll know when you sing into it at your next band rehearsal. We compared this to a Beta 58 in the shop where I bought it and everyone agreed this sounded much more vibrant and dynamic. A night and day improvement over the Beta 58. The M500 is nice as well but it's a bit old school. Doesn't really sit well in a rock setting. Would be nice for smooth jazz vocal stuff or something like that. But even then, I'd probably take the TG v90r over a vintage M500. I've done live vocal stuff with an M160 and it sounded great, but not as cool as the TG v90r. That being said, I might choose the M160 for instrumental close mics like guitar cabs or snare drums. I love the M160 on snare. I'd take a Royer 121 over any of these on guitar amps. It's all about experimenting and getting that sound you hear in your head.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search