The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Any RCA 74B owners in the house?
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Addict

Any RCA 74B owners in the house?

Do you love yours? Is it versatile?

I'm curious about how these compare in sonic character to the 77's and also to modern ribbons.

I have a shot at a pair of these. Very tempting but I would have to buy them sound-unheard.

M
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

No where near as nice as a 77 or a 44, but definitly worth owning (depending on price & condition ofcourse).
Old 27th May 2006
Moderator emeritus

I have one, use it regularly.
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Nut

beautiful for certain things, especially electric gtrs. i've also got great bass and string recordings from the 74. not a lot of highend response, but again, great for certain things. id never sell mine.
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

I really dig these. The problem with them is sometimes they accept more interference than a bad guitar pickup- some moreso than others (and also depending on the enviroment). I used to move them around a live room until they were in the quietest place then I'd position the instrument accordingly. Kinda a pain, and a sacrifice at the same time. When I finally purchased one, I had David Royer do a mod to it which shielded it much better, and made it sound a ton better. Now I can freely place it where I want.
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Addict

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Encouraging words.

How about bottom end? Are they wimpy in the low freqs? The reason I ask is that someone told me the 74s lack good bass reproduction. This someone also does not want me to buy the 74s. He wants me to buy what HE is selling. Is what he says true?

Thanks again. I value your input.

M
Old 28th May 2006
Well in comparison with 44 yes but.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTrax

How about bottom end? Are they wimpy in the low freqs? The reason I ask is that someone told me the 74s lack good bass reproduction. This someone also does not want me to buy the 74s. He wants me to buy what HE is selling. Is what he says true?

Thanks again. I value your input.

M
If the ribbons are properly tensioned they will still wipe the floor with most of the
modern competition downstairs. They are very pre amp impedance sensitive in the top end. They are great for retro sax etc. Good with a cab if not too loud, bad with a combo, electrical noise is a factor.
Regards.•:*¨¨*:•. ¸¸.•´¯`•.Mark Fairfax-Harwood, Engineer Springvale Studios
Old 28th May 2006
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmec
. Good with a cab if not too loud, bad with a combo, electrical noise is a factor.
i've found that the trick with combo amps is to get the amp up off the floor, then position the mic so that the electronics are at the bottom of the combo rather than at the top. This solved it for me (at least, with a '65 Fender Deluxe and a 74B).
Old 28th May 2006
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTrax

What he says is NOT true, in my experience - one of my main uses for my 74B is on upright bass. And it rocks.
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Addict

Wow, great info everybody.

I've made my decision, thanks to your help. The pair of 74B's is about to head my way in about three days.

Have a great Memorial day, be safe

M
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin
What he says is NOT true, in my experience - one of my main uses for my 74B is on upright bass. And it rocks.
Ditto. Mine does very well on upright.
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Nut

i agree with the above statements. lots a low end. in fact, one of my "thickest" sounding microphones. beautiful on upright bass.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search