The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing on a Custom Neve 8078 plus Neve Broadcast console
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Nut

Mixing on a Custom Neve 8078 plus Neve Broadcast console

I thought everyone might want to see some pictures of the mixing session we have in the studio at the moment. Craig Silvey (Magic Numbers, The Coral and loads of other great stuff) is mixing an album for a band called Yeti (very good - watch this space). He has brought a ton of his own gear in as well as using our custom Neve 8078 and other equipment. This includes a really nice old broadcast Neve console and two large racks of interesting outboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Mixing on a Custom Neve 8078 plus Neve Broadcast console-craig-silvey-way-studio-1.jpg   Mixing on a Custom Neve 8078 plus Neve Broadcast console-craig-silvey-way-studio-2.jpg   Mixing on a Custom Neve 8078 plus Neve Broadcast console-craig-silvey-way-studio-3.jpg  
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

I did a bunch of records on the 8078 at Pie Studios in Glenn Cove, NY and it was always a joy to work there. Cool pics, brings back memories.
Old 26th May 2006
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hell Yeah! That's what I'M talkin bout!!!!

stike stike stike stike
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yes!
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew
I did a bunch of records on the 8078 at Pie Studios in Glenn Cove, NY and it was always a joy to work there. Cool pics, brings back memories.

Do you know if the 8078 still there? I've looked on their website but it comes up so small on my monitor I can't read it.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert O
Do you know if the 8078 still there? I've looked on their website but it comes up so small on my monitor I can't read it.
they've still got an 8078 and an A800, and they've added HD3 over the last few years. cool room. i used to do drums there. they've got twice as many U47s as most places around here, and half of them are in near perfect condition.
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon
they've still got an 8078 and an A800, and they've added HD3 over the last few years. cool room. i used to do drums there. they've got twice as many U47s as most places around here, and half of them are in near perfect condition.
Thanks, I'd better change the settings on my monitor so I can check out the site.....(or get some new glasses)
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Me and engineer bil emmons at the now defunked Big House, a former Hit Factory room. I produced a dozen acoustic jazz records there from 1996-2000. Direct to DAT.

The 8078 had balls. Next best thing to tube gear. I liked it better than the ones at Clinton in NYC. One of only 3 8078s I've worked on.

I still think the best NEVE in NYC is the 8038 at SEAR SOUND.

Does anyone know what happened to that desk at the BIG HOUSE? The place was sold and became MIRROR IMMAGE, an SSL room.

Thats me on the right trying to look serious. I think we were stoned.
Attached Thumbnails
Mixing on a Custom Neve 8078 plus Neve Broadcast console-big-house-8078.jpg  
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear
The one at Pie is discrete (and sounds terrific) the ones at Clinton are not.

the desk at Big house, by the way, was not an 8078.. although similar to one.
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear
Sear Sound...wow

Speaking of Sear Sound (off topic, but had to chime in), I just looked at their web page..DAMN!!

Fairchild 660* (2)
Fairchild 670*

And a whole bunch of other awesome gear, some of which has the (*) symbol...at first I thought "Oh great, these are all *rental*extra-charge items, but turns out that just means it's tube gear

That place looks NAAAASTY!
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Bump for all that Neve bling
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejook
Speaking of Sear Sound (off topic, but had to chime in), I just looked at their web page..DAMN!!

Fairchild 660* (2)
Fairchild 670*

And a whole bunch of other awesome gear, some of which has the (*) symbol...at first I thought "Oh great, these are all *rental*extra-charge items, but turns out that just means it's tube gear

That place looks NAAAASTY!
The only thing SEAR lacks is a big room. If you took SEAR's gear and put it in RIGHT TRACK 509 or KAUFMAN ASTORIA , you'd have everything. Everything except a RECORD INDUSTRY.
Old 13th March 2011
Gear Addict

cool 1081 mixer
Old 13th March 2011
Here for the gear

I dont wanna sound like an ad, but about a 15 minute drive from pie studios is sabella studio in roslyn ny and they have a really nice sounding room with an 8068. I grew up in the town between these two studios.
Old 24th June 2012
John Hassel is a good dude (Yeti).
Old 25th June 2012
Lives for gear

Hi

I might be sounding pedantic, but that doesn't look like an 8078.... The monitor section is not from a 8078

You must have one of the predecessors like Sony studios one or similar

Posted from my iPhone

PS Ah, you are in London then that is, indeed, the ex Sony studios custom console that preceded the 8078
Old 25th June 2012
Lives for gear

Mastering Lab monitors. Very nice. We usually set them up with the ports up and out. Might want to try it and see if it makes a difference. It's been so long, I don't remember what they sound like set up like that.

Steve G
Old 25th June 2012
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

I might be sounding pedantic, but that doesn't look like an 8078.... The monitor section is not from a 8078

You must have one of the predecessors like Sony studios one or similar

Posted from my iPhone

PS Ah, you are in London then that is, indeed, the ex Sony studios custom console that preceded the 8078
Due respect Geoff... the thread is a half dozen years old... if he's still in business its probably 1/2 a miracle. As I know you're well aware... there were several desks that were "8078-esque" that have been billed as 8078's over the years.

For that matter... "Big House" had a desk that had 8078 on the serial number plate but 1095 modules and more than a few other differences... but it said "8078" on the serial number plate so that's how it was billed. Alas, "Big House" is no longer with us... where the desk ended up I have no idea.

Hope all is well in your world!!

Peace
Old 25th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Due respect Geoff... the thread is a half dozen years old... if he's still in business its probably 1/2 a miracle. As I know you're well aware... there were several desks that were "8078-esque" that have been billed as 8078's over the years.

For that matter... "Big House" had a desk that had 8078 on the serial number plate but 1095 modules and more than a few other differences... but it said "8078" on the serial number plate so that's how it was billed. Alas, "Big House" is no longer with us... where the desk ended up I have no idea.

Hope all is well in your world!!

Peace
Hi Fletcher

Duh! Fancy me not noticing that! Must be getting old... well I am 66!

Yes, studios are disappearing all over the place, If I still relied on fixing those old Neves I'd be going around trash cans looking for bottles with CA refund by now.

But things are good, married, going on holiday in the UK to visit relatives in less than a month...

How things with you?

Old 26th June 2012
member no 666

I'm livin' the dream in NC... glad to hear things are good in your world... you've earned it!!

Peace
Old 26th June 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vismund624 View Post
I dont wanna sound like an ad, but about a 15 minute drive from pie studios is sabella studio in roslyn ny and they have a really nice sounding room with an 8068. I grew up in the town between these two studios.
I used to work there. Awesome room. Jim (Sabella) is a great guy and an awesome guitar player.

That place is a goldmine with nine Pultecs and just about every great compressor you can think of.

I miss that console. :•)
Old 26th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopdante View Post
John Hassel is a good dude (Yeti).
+1.
Old 26th June 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
Mastering Lab monitors. Very nice. We usually set them up with the ports up and out. Might want to try it and see if it makes a difference. It's been so long, I don't remember what they sound like set up like that.

Steve G
Not to go off topic, but if they are the converted Tannoy gold cabinets, I don't think it's possible to put both ports "up and out". Both ports are on the upper RH corner.

The Manley versions may be different.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search