The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The ultimate comparitive bass DI test...
Old 14th June 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Every now and then I have to pull the files from Drop Box as I need the room. Use to be when you put them back the link still applied. I guess not anymore.

Here is the new link...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g1gx3ocdo...JqVR1WWSa?dl=0
Thanks!!
Old 15th June 2016
Lives for gear

Thank you to all of you who have taken the time out to listen.

Unfortunately at the time we did the test we didn't have every DI available to us but 13 is still a good number.

Even though I had been recording for over 35 years and Tony and Jerry had been playing for over 40 years, we all learned something new that day... that is what I love about this business.
Old 9th July 2016
Gear Addict

Wow, I've never seen this thread before, but thanks so much for doing this. Downloading now - very excited to have a listen at the studio tomorrow.

Old 9th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.beck View Post
Wow, I've never seen this thread before, but thanks so much for doing this. Downloading now - very excited to have a listen at the studio tomorrow.

Enjoy Andrew!
Old 29th October 2016
Lives for gear

Just dropping by to say thanks to all involved with this testing. It's a very helpful resource!

FWIW My fave clean DI (the kind I'd want to blend with a mic'd amp or reamp later) is the Avalon. Fave DI on its own is the REDDI - it really does have an B15-ish thing going on.
Old 29th October 2016
Lives for gear

Hey lobsterinn, thank you for the bump! I missed this thread, and only saw it because of your bump. Thanks!

What 6x6 wrote about the GML reminds me of the NPNG diehlio. Larry, have you had a chance to test that DI box? I know you know the NPNG mic pre. The diehlio is a two channel DI box with no measurable distortion. As far as I know, Karl doesn't advertise it much.

What was interesting is that a cheap Cort bass sounded pretty acceptable through the DI of the Mercury M72s, but the diehlio and the NPNG mic pre revealed its poor qualities with no doubt - it sounded unexciting, to use a polite word. After hearing the recording, the customer (a bass-playing rock guitarist) said "I will go buy a real bass". It was really obvious. He then came back with a Music Man Sterling, and it sounded stellar through the NPNG chain.
Those pure sounding units reveal the quality of the source. Not always ideal...

And yes, it's very problematic that you've had so little response to this great test! Please know that there are still some who highly appreciate it, and know how much work it is. THANK YOU!
Old 29th October 2016
Lives for gear

And thank you, Larry, for your persistence with uploading it again and again! I tried every link in this thread, and each time it was "Oh. No. This is probably another of these abandoned threads", and then the last one worked. Hooray!
Old 30th October 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks for the kind words Rumi.

Tony, Jerry, Ken and I really wanted to continue with these tests but after so little response I decided I did not want to waste their valuable time. Between studio, techs, musicians I was eating up about 3k in costs just to do this test. Nice that these guys volunteered their time and Jerry gave me Dreamland for the day.

That fact that only Ken McKim posted anything about it on his Retrospec site told me how little the manufacturer's even cared. Funny as they were all hot to trot to get me their boxes. You'd think they'd at least have a link to this... nope.

In the end the test told me what I had always thought, it takes about 3 or 4 different DI's to cover all the basses.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

We really did want to come back a year later and do more boxes but IIWII.

I will keep these files posted and hosted for as long as I can.
Wilton, NY
518-581-8141
http://www.silvertonemastering.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Silve...82560415140525
------------------------------------------------
Old 1st November 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
cover all the basses.
I see what you did there.
Old 8th November 2016
I am a proud owner of the Retrospec Juicebox
Old 8th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday View Post
I am a proud owner of the Retrospec Juicebox
One of the best out there. I love the juice box! Brilliant design unlike any other, even the power supply is tube based.

I call it the cheese grater as that's what they always looked like to me. Told Ken he should have named it that. Ha ha.

Enjoy!
Old 8th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.beck View Post
I see what you did there.
In all the times I've written that phrase, you are the first to say you've caught what I was saying. Too funny. I often wondered if anyone would get it.

Winner winner chicken dinner!
Old 8th November 2016
Here for the gear
Freevox DI

Quote:
In all the times I've written that phrase, you are the first to say you've caught what I was saying. Too funny. I often wondered if anyone would get it.

Please take Time and try :
Freevox Audio - Préamplificateurs Studio - DI-S1000

You'll be surprised !

Wishes
Old 28th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:

I never post but I just stumbled across this thread.. Just wanted to echo what others have said, this is a fantastic resource. Thank you so much for posting this and sharing the files.
Old 28th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdrexx View Post
I never post but I just stumbled across this thread.. Just wanted to echo what others have said, this is a fantastic resource. Thank you so much for posting this and sharing the files.
Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed them. I will pass this on to Tony and Jerry as well.

Best,
Larry
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Just bumping the link to the files...

Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just bumping the link to the files...

Thank you so much! This really deserves more attention and response. It's great when people do thorough work, and cover all... those things, ya know.

Last edited by Rumi; 15th June 2017 at 09:18 PM..
Old 17th June 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
In the end the test told me what I had always thought, it takes about 3 or 4 different DI's to cover all the basses----
Yes, that really has been the truth of the matter for decades. I always felt this was an unaddressed engineering problem in our industry. May I introduce to you Pueblo Audio's solution:

OLLA Hybrid DI Box.

Whether you have an active, passive or acoustic bass, OLLA can present a proper impedance for optimal loading and signal transfer. Because it can accept balanced signals, it is a perfect tool for Re-Amping. Additionally, it can be connected to the output of a head amp to capture that flavor, too.

This is an extremely flexible tool which greatly obviates the need for multiple DI inventory. OLLA ensures you are prepared for every recording or sound reinforcement circumstance. The sound quality and fidelity is also remarkable which helps inspire the performer while making the work of mixing a breeze. Should you ever remount your DI tests again, please let me know and I will be happy to provide a unit for evaluation.
Attached Thumbnails
The ultimate comparitive bass DI test...-img_1195.jpg   The ultimate comparitive bass DI test...-img_1240.jpg  

Last edited by PuebloAudio; 17th June 2017 at 11:14 PM..
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Guru

wow .. we really have a lot of Cool DI's available these days .. awesome !!!! OLLA Hybrid DI Box .. this looks very powerful ..
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
wow .. we really have a lot of Cool DI's available these days .. awesome !!!! OLLA Hybrid DI Box .. this looks very powerful ..
Yeah - interesting to note that several great new DIs have entered the field since this thread was launched by Larry five years back, and it was already an impressive line-up at that point.

We already had four from Larry's list back when the thread started, and have since added a couple of RNDIs.

Revisiting this thread is a bit like a visit to the candy store. Slightly overwhelming, but still great to be reminded of some of the other decent options available!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search