The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UM251c blackspade - anyone tried it??
Old 30th December 2012
  #121
Lives for gear
 
cowboycoalminer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Thought I would bump this...kinda got the 251 gas.
Someone there in town should have one you could demo I would think? But I'm of the opinion that CV-4 you got will be hard to clean after for the bucks, John. I'd heard so much about the Flea and got the chance to use one awhile back on a session in another studio. I amped it with a Martech and it sounded great. But in IMO, there's no way there is 3k worth of difference in the two. 3k buys a lot of mojo these days.

I can honestly say that I no longer have mic envy for anything having the UM17r and the CV-4 as money mics. I do, however envy your Heritage 1073. A lot.
Old 31st December 2012
  #122
Lives for gear
 
RKrizman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
I'd heard so much about the Flea and got the chance to use one awhile back on a session in another studio. I amped it with a Martech and it sounded great. But in IMO, there's no way there is 3k worth of difference in the two. 3k buys a lot of mojo these days.
I don't know which Flea you used, but if it was the 49 or 47 it probably had very little in common with the Blackspade 17, which is what I think you were talking about. Two completely different aesthetics. To my ears, where the Blackspade is clean and clear the Fleas are earthy with a lot of girth. When I hear music coming out of Nashville I think clean and clear, with all those high strung ac guitars. When I think of vintage rock n roll or classic soul I think Flea. The latter is where i live, but I don't discount the former.

-R
Old 31st December 2012
  #123
Lives for gear
 
cowboycoalminer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
I don't know which Flea you used, but if it was the 49 or 47 it probably had very little in common with the Blackspade 17, which is what I think you were talking about. Two completely different aesthetics. To my ears, where the Blackspade is clean and clear the Fleas are earthy with a lot of girth. When I hear music coming out of Nashville I think clean and clear, with all those high strung ac guitars. When I think of vintage rock n roll or classic soul I think Flea. The latter is where i live, but I don't discount the former.

-R
The Flea is a great mic. No question about that. I was actually comparing it to the Miktec CV-4 though. The CV-4 has got that "wooly" thing going on. It's a stab at a U47. I will say the Flea is better, but I just can't justify for myself the difference in the cost. I've heard your Flea on some of your mixes and I think I've told you before, your getting as good a sound as any room anywhere.

But if I was producing for the radio, I'd buy a Flea
Old 31st December 2012
  #124
Lives for gear
 
RKrizman's Avatar
 

Thanks, man. yeah that's right, we've been down this road before.

Happy New Year.

-R
Old 28th August 2016
  #125
Gear Maniac
 

Cowboy... the songs 'sad boy' and 'history boy' on your soundcloud..

Where they recorded with a blackspade um17 or a miktek cv4?
Old 28th August 2016
  #126
Lives for gear
 
cowboycoalminer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazi View Post
Cowboy... the songs 'sad boy' and 'history boy' on your soundcloud..

Where they recorded with a blackspade um17 or a miktek cv4?
If I remember correctly, those where recorded with a U 47 through a Germanium pre.
Old 28th August 2016
  #127
Gear Maniac
 

Wow that sounds amazing.

Thank you for your response
Old 20th May 2018
  #128
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I know that you will...and thanks again for letting us take care of you.
Ressurrecting an old thread..., do you still carry the Blackspade mics? No info anywhere, blackspade mike is missing the last couple years and this new brand BSA seems to carry on similar models, maybe the same models renamed... also with Tim’s capsules... who knows..
Old 20th May 2018
  #129
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 

Before Oliver Archut passed, production of these models already had shifted to Tab Funkenwerk. As far as I know, Blackspade provided the body work but all the mics had always been assembled at Tab anyway.

Blackspade then designed some new models but I’m unsure about the current status of that.

Dennis from Tab/AMI has told me they plan on resuming production of the UM mics soon. (There is currently a Tab “OA” series mic for sale on eBay, with a real CK12 in it, fwiw.)
Old 20th May 2018
  #130
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttattwa View Post
Ressurrecting an old thread..., do you still carry the Blackspade mics? No info anywhere, blackspade mike is missing the last couple years and this new brand BSA seems to carry on similar models, maybe the same models renamed... also with Tim’s capsules... who knows..
I have no connection with this company at the time of this writing.
Old 20th May 2018
  #131
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I have no connection with this company at the time of this writing.
ok thanks.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
WunderBro Flo / So Much Gear, So Little Time
4
adam_w / So Much Gear, So Little Time
4
Frequency / So Much Gear, So Little Time
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump