The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Another "which is better" Pre thread!
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Head

Another "which is better" Pre thread!

This time around the contenders are GML, John Hardy and Dav Electronics. I am looking for a "straight wire with gain." Ideas? I need these for some vox, percussion, acoustic GTR.

Thanks all,

dfegad Bob the V
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Well these are all very transparent pres, IMO. Of course these are in two totally different price ranges, with the DAV and John Hardy being on the more affordable side. I love the DAV; many people here do too. I also have used the GML pre in the 2032 pre/eq. I can't really tell you which is better (only you can do that), but the GML has more gain (15-70dB in 5dB steps; the DAV has 26-59dB in 3dB steps)... I think the frequency range for the DAV is wider (up to 150kHz) so the DAV may be more suited to classical recording... what style of music are you producing?

These types of questions are impossible to answer; as you probably know, the question "what pre is better" is basically equivalent to "what flavor ice cream is better".... but I know all three that you mentioned are good and have solid reputations. I have no experience with the John Hardy.

If I had to choose and budget wasn't an issue, I'd go with the GML but would get the 2032 which is a pre with the famous GML eq (four-band version as opposed to the five-band on the 8200) in one unit, with an internal power supply. That's just me and that's JMHO.

J.D.
Old 25th May 2006
Here for the gear

I'm also interested in how the DAV preamps compare to the GML 8302. The DAV seems almost too good too be true, especially considering the price.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

The DAV can be modded to have 66db of gain. I tried a GML for a while, didnt do it for me, whereas DAV and Pendulum did. Davissound pres are reported to be very nice too, though I havent heard anything finer than DAV for my purposes.

Believe everything you hear about the DAV. It is too good to be true, but it IS true. This is why I do not use my millennias any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice
Well these are all very transparent pres, IMO. Of course these are in two totally different price ranges, with the DAV and John Hardy being on the more affordable side. I love the DAV; many people here do too. I also have used the GML pre in the 2032 pre/eq. I can't really tell you which is better (only you can do that), but the GML has more gain (15-70dB in 5dB steps; the DAV has 26-59dB in 3dB steps)... I think the frequency range for the DAV is wider (up to 150kHz) so the DAV may be more suited to classical recording... what style of music are you producing?

These types of questions are impossible to answer; as you probably know, the question "what pre is better" is basically equivalent to "what flavor ice cream is better".... but I know all three that you mentioned are good and have solid reputations. I have no experience with the John Hardy.

If I had to choose and budget wasn't an issue, I'd go with the GML but would get the 2032 which is a pre with the famous GML eq (four-band version as opposed to the five-band on the 8200) in one unit, with an internal power supply. That's just me and that's JMHO.

J.D.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have one word for you: Behringer

just kidding....
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the V
This time around the contenders are GML, John Hardy and Dav Electronics. I am looking for a "straight wire with gain." Ideas? I need these for some vox, percussion, acoustic GTR.

Thanks all,

dfegad Bob the V
How does a ssl 9000 mic pre compare to all of those?? Anyone know?
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Addict

what do they charge for the 66 db option on a bg-1.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

John Hardy mic amp is very good. Neutral and well built
Massenburg mic amp is overpriced and does absolutely nothing special. Also has the bulky separate power supply. Sound is good , but nothing special.
Design is distinctly unspecial

DAV Electronics mic amps are the best mic amps in the world.

SSL is junk--especially in rack mount version---

Hear and believe. . .
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Head

Ok, thumbsup

Part 2.

Over on DavElectronics.com they promote the original 2 channel version but -- also a 4 channel single rack unit model. Anybody know if this is the exact same pre as in the 2 channel (plus or minus the different knobs and switch configurations of the units)?

Bob the V

Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the V
Over on DavElectronics.com they promote the original 2 channel version but -- also a 4 channel single rack unit model. Anybody know if this is the exact same pre as in the 2 channel (plus or minus the different knobs and switch configurations of the units)?

Bob the V
There is a slight difference that I am aware of only because T.Ray mentioned it on another thread. I believe it has to do with the 4-channel having a bit more gain, but I could be wrong. He is the one who needs to answer this question... or you could shoot an email to Mick over at DAV if you need the answer straight from the horse's mouth....

EDIT: I found the answer from T.Ray on another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
........actually it isnt exactly the same..same mic pre...but the BG2 has 22-66db of gain, where as the BG1 has 26-59. and yes, it is the heat.
Cheers,

J.D.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

BG 1 and 2 use the same circuit but 2 has extra switches for phantom and
phase. BG-2 has 66 db of gain, BG-1 has 59. BG1 can be modded for 66.
BG No 4 & 6 use the same circuit but no. 4 has filters and rotary switches.

BG No 1 costs 700
BG No 2 costs 1450
BG No 3 costs 2100
BG No's 4 & 5 cost 1700 each
BG No 6 costs 799
All prices in U.S dollars, prices include shipping, but not local taxes[if any]the easiest and cheapest way to pay is with paypal
[email protected]

Due to high demand shipping will be between 14 - 21 days after payment..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice
There is a slight difference that I am aware of only because T.Ray mentioned it on another thread. I believe it has to do with the 4-channel having a bit more gain, but I could be wrong. He is the one who needs to answer this question... or you could shoot an email to Mick over at DAV if you need the answer straight from the horse's mouth....

EDIT: I found the answer from T.Ray on another thread:

Cheers,

J.D.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quoted for truth. I felt the same way about Massenburg. For one of those, you could get 3 DAVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush
John Hardy mic amp is very good. Neutral and well built
Massenburg mic amp is overpriced and does absolutely nothing special. Also has the bulky separate power supply. Sound is good , but nothing special.
Design is distinctly unspecial

DAV Electronics mic amps are the best mic amps in the world.

Hear and believe. . .
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Head

Thanks all,

This has been a very helpful thread for me.

Bob the V

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search