The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Grace m101 vs great river single channel preamp Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 12th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Grace m101 vs great river single channel preamp

What are your guys' opinions on the two
Old 12th April 2012
Gear Addict
they are very different sounding from each other. The Great River is more versatile and will likely work better for vocals and bass, but the Grace is a fair bit cleaner than the Great River can get at it's cleanest setting (gain set low, output high, loading In). Ideally, you would want both because they do things the other one doesn't. The Grace doesn't get much respect around here - I'm sure nearly everyone who responds will say to get the Great River. The Grace sounds really nice on acoustic guitar, percussion and acoustic instruments in general - it can also work really well with some voices that you don't necessarily want to thicken/color.
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear
gr nv has mucho bottom end
the grace is more neutral, can we say boring?
GR has very smooth almost classic silky top,
not crazy about its midrange on gtrs though
but a great mic pre.

RNP is arguably better than the grace
for less money
Old 12th April 2012
Gear Guru

The Grace was designed to be very high quality, clean and neutral (no - not boring).

I don't know the Great River, so won't comment.

But if you want clean and neutral to capture the sound without adding a character of its own, then the Grace should be high on your list.

If you want something that adds character and colour, then you should look for something else.
Old 12th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Have 'em both and generally agree with the previous posts, you need both.

In fact, in our hobby studio we also have a Sebatron vmp-4000e and those 6 channels ( 4 Seb, 1 GR, 1 Grace) do pretty much everything we need.
Old 13th April 2012
Gear Head

Hi ,
we have an original 801 and a 1nv,
i agree that that the grace is better on acoustic guitar,
and the 1nv on vocals and DI ,
-that is if the 801 is simular to the newer version,
mike
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

As already said, the grace is very clean. Very clean. The Millennia is more versatile, or can be more coloured if desired.
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

May I suggest that if you plan on recording some DI guitar tracks for reamping, the grace would be very practical and clinical for the most true source sound. A neve style pre like everyone has mentioned will give you some transformer saturation and will add some mojo. I have both styles in my studio.
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

If you are posting in the high end section, you should probably be ready for folks to say that you should own both.

I love having two different types of preamps around, but it is not an absolute necessity. If you buy a really good preamp, you can make good music with it, even if it has an inherent "flavor" like a Great River or a Pacifica or whatever.

The Grace (I used to own two) is a transformerless design, so it is going to be on the fast transient, sometimes a little harsh, end of things. The Great River (I used to own one of these, too), being a transformer-based design, and trying to make the most of how that adds to the sound, will add more pixie dust to the sound, boosting the low end a bit, softening the transients, adding some smooth distortion as you boost the gain. But, you can control to an extent how much of that stuff is added. It is the more versatile of the two preamps you have mentioned.
Old 13th April 2012
Gear Maniac

so what would you guys recommend for rap and an R&b/pop type singer
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipc421 View Post
I would personally lean towards flavored pres. Neve style is always good, but I usually jump between mono gamma, neve and API for my vocals, depending on vocalist. Would love A designs pres in my studio
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

You can always do something in the middle like a Daking.
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
You can always do something in the middle like a Daking.
+1 neve style is always great for vocals but i think the dakings really add a unique thing of their own and are equally excellent.
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

I'd have to lean toward the grace as it just works well with anything. I like the neutrality, it allows me to put the bet mic to work rather than the pre!!
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

How does the Grace pair with a U87ai (for spoken word)?

I'm using a Great River right now and not unhappy with it, but considering going cleaner.
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

What mics do you have?

I own the Great River and it does a terrific job adding some bottom, and smoothing out the highs on a $700 LDC. It's not a terrible mic, but the Great River has the ability and flexibility to bring out the best in it.

I also have some clean/neutral pres, and the mic just doesnt sound anywhere near as good
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

If you want clean that isn't sterile I would strongly suggest you look at the AEA RPQ, either the racked version or the 500. This is a wonderful mic pre.

Steve
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephi82 View Post
What mics do you have?

I own the Great River and it does a terrific job adding some bottom, and smoothing out the highs on a $700 LDC. It's not a terrible mic, but the Great River has the ability and flexibility to bring out the best in it.

I also have some clean/neutral pres, and the mic just doesnt sound anywhere near as good
Main mic is U87ai
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ellis View Post
Main mic is U87ai
I should have made it clear, I was asking the OP what mics he had!

I'm an older guy, (55) so I love the sound of the 70's using Neve style pre's and U87's for singers.

I assume that maybe the Great River might be not as clean as you want for spoken word?
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

It works, but if I could get cleaner without harshness or sterility, I would do that.

Just trying to perfect the signal chain. It's quite good as it is but like a true slut, just wondering if for spoken word the Grace with the U87ai would deliver clean in a good way.
Old 8th October 2014
Deleted User
I had an M101 with a U87ai I used for VO work (narration- training videos). I ended up selling off the mic and getting an AKG C414xls because I needed a tighter pattern, but the U87 and the 101 were very clean. If the GR pre and the U87 are too "thick" for your VO needs (guessing from previous experiences), then the Grace would be a good consideration.
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

good stuff thanks
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

now I'm hearing that the Audient id22 is a better option than the Grace
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Nut

id22 is an interface.. not a mic pre...
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Report Quote

Now that this question has been asked that's all taste but if your looking for a mic preamp that will add that cool mojo one of the best for the price is Pacifica by A designs you get 2 mic pres can't go wrong I've used them all that have been mentioned and for the price you can't beat it
also the pre has a great prescense that's especially good for vocs
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Nut

and i love m101. a big fan of it how clean it is and price is much nicer. I also suggest Daking as well too or get both!
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

cool. What mic(s) are you using?
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ellis View Post
cool. What mic(s) are you using?
I love the Grace 101 as well. I use it often with both a Sennheiser 441 or an AT4050. Sounds great with both. Especially the ribbon mode on the Sennheiser.

Regards,
Frank

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search