The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 8816 (& other AMS/Neve products) important tip
Old 11th April 2012
  #1
Here for the gear
Neve 8816 (& other AMS/Neve products) important tip

Hi all,

I've had my 8816 since it came out. It's been returned once and back for service once. Amazing sound, sloppy build quality. This weekend I discovered a trick with my 8816 that will likely apply to other AMS/Neve products that use the "Neve Recall" software.

Problem:

As you AMS/Neve owners have probably started to notice, the knobs are imprecise. You can set two knobs side by side at the same tick marks, run two sines into them, and see discrepancies in the dB output. This is insanely annoying.

Solution:

Use the Neve Recall software to set and confirm the position of the knobs, not relying onthe indent on the knob itself. The software reports the actual value with much greater precision. So now my entire row all reads equally in the software (and in levels out), despite the knobs on the unit all being somewhat scattered.

And no, there's nothing wrong with my unit. It was this way before getting the VCAs fixed at the US repair center, and it still is afterwards.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by 303; 11th April 2012 at 01:51 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 11th April 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Very good suggestion. Recall is the way to go.
Old 11th April 2012
  #3
Gear Head
 

Thanks! Great tip.
Old 11th April 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
VT-MHE's Avatar
This was one of the reasons I got rid of mine. Box seemed like junk to me after a while.
Old 26th February 2013
  #5
Gear interested
 

How'd you get yours serviced? The variance of the level pot positions are so extreme on mine that it's become unusable, and the levels change as the unit warms up.

I filled out the "Report a fault" page on ams-neve's website, but didn't get any response. Then I sent email to Mercenary (where I bought the unit from) and didn't get a response from them either!
Old 26th February 2013
  #6
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Southard View Post
How'd you get yours serviced? The variance of the level pot positions are so extreme on mine that it's become unusable, and the levels change as the unit warms up.

I filled out the "Report a fault" page on ams-neve's website, but didn't get any response. Then I sent email to Mercenary (where I bought the unit from) and didn't get a response from them either!
Here's what happened
  1. Jan 3, 2011 I report a problem to csd@ams-neve.com
  2. Jan 5, 2011 They reply and tell me to fill out the fault form
  3. Jan 5, 2011 They reply with more questions and instructions to test
  4. Jan 8, 2011 I respond with test results
  5. Jan 14, 2011 They respond with instructions to send it to lselectronics.net for out-of-warranty servicing
  6. Jan 17, 2011 They follow up to make sure I intend to send it (good customer service)
  7. Feb 16, 2011 (Yes, a month) LSElectronics confirms defective OP-AMP IC chip and PSU modifications needed
  8. Feb 23, 2011 LSElectronics sends it back.

They did fix the VCA offset problems but the knobs are still unevenly leveled.

Hope this helps,
Justin
Old 26th February 2013
  #7
Gear interested
 

Thanks Justin!

I got in touch with LSElectronics, but they can't do anything until AMS-Neve gets back to me with an RMA number. Pretty disappointing experience with AMS-Neve's support. I'm back up and running with a Rupert Neve Satellite, which sounds great but different. More open, but it doesn't do the magical taming of the low end that the 8816 did. The tics on the level pots are much more accurate on the Satellite, and it doesn't run nearly as hot as the 8816.
Old 27th February 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Motoxxx's Avatar
 

This is precisely why I have been looking around the globe for an Amek Recall RN 56 console!!!..

Did I say that or the vodka??!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 27th February 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
This is precisely why I have been looking around the globe for an Amek Recall RN 56 console!!!..

Did I say that or the vodka??!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Hope it's the vodka! If you like that stuff, Buy a Big instead!
Old 28th December 2014
  #10
Here for the gear
Annnnnnnd here we are four years later and the unit is going bad again. Same problem.
Old 29th December 2014
  #11
Lives for gear
 
VT-MHE's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303 View Post
Annnnnnnd here we are four years later and the unit is going bad again. Same problem.

Its junk sir. Get rid of it and get a console.
Old 29th December 2014
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Stimmt's Avatar
 

Sorry for stating the obvious: Get the effing Sigma already... You can even control it over touchscreen. Times having changed and everything.
Old 29th December 2014
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
The Neve is far from junk. That is a comment made by someone who does not understand the unit. If you're having an issue, get it repaired. I had good service from the AMS-Neve recommended service house in St. Louis, MO.

There is SO MUCH misinformation here.
Old 29th December 2014
  #14
Couldn't you guys re-seat the knobs to align them for unity?

Just a thought. I've been looking at the 8816 lately..
Old 29th December 2014
  #15
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
The Neve is far from junk. That is a comment made by someone who does not understand the unit. If you're having an issue, get it repaired. I had good service from the AMS-Neve recommended service house in St. Louis, MO.

There is SO MUCH misinformation here.
As long as they work. I have one, and love it, but it has it's problems, and I have had to get it repaired before. They are pretty hit and miss.
Old 29th December 2014
  #16
Lives for gear
 
VT-MHE's Avatar
How do you assume just because someone had an issue that they dont know how to use it? Look man your experience is your experience and you love them and they work for you thats fine. But my experience when i owned one as well as 2 other engineers that are close friends is that its junk!!! After having it serviced several times for the same thing over and over again when the thing just sits in the rack has nothing to do with me or my skill set. I made less music because of it and spent more time worried about the issues with it. Which went away after i got rid of it!! Then i continued making music withOUT and issue. Im only here giving my part from what i dealt with and as a person who knows some level of electronic engineering the 8816 is a 500$ box. Thats cost 3500 because of the name NEVE. Dont insult people you dont know or their work by claiming the issue is them because they had a different experience with some gear that you like. You say its good. Then its good. For you. I say its junk. @Plush
Old 29th December 2014
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-MHE View Post
How do you assume just because someone had an issue that they dont know how to use it? Look man your experience is your experience and you love them and they work for you thats fine. But my experience when i owned one as well as 2 other engineers that are close friends is that its junk!!! After having it serviced several times for the same thing over and over again when the thing just sits in the rack has nothing to do with me or my skill set. I made less music because of it and spent more time worried about the issues with it. Which went away after i got rid of it!! Then i continued making music withOUT and issue. Im only here giving my part from what i dealt with and as a person who knows some level of electronic engineering the 8816 is a 500$ box. Thats cost 3500 because of the name NEVE. Dont insult people you dont know or their work by claiming the issue is them because they had a different experience with some gear that you like. You say its good. Then its good. For you. I say its junk. @Plush
Laughable. It has some build quality issues I agree. Sonically it is really first class. It's clear that your repair did not fix your problems. All equipment needs service and repair. Does a failed repair equal a junk unit? Audio path is from Neve 88R console.
Old 29th December 2014
  #18
Lives for gear
 
VT-MHE's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Laughable. It has some build quality issues I agree. Sonically it is really first class. It's clear that your repair did not fix your problems. All equipment needs service and repair. Does a failed repair equal a junk unit? Audio path is from Neve 88R console.

I never said it sounded bad. It sounded good. But it was very inconsistent from the time i purchased it. I spoke with neve several times. Had had to keep taking it to dave clark who is the person they have fix and repair all their ams-neve gear. The volume knobs and the overall volume was either randomly off or inconsistent. If i spend that kind of money on it i want it to work. I want to make music not be dealing with a bunch of strange twilight zone issues and not know why. It would be different if it was just me but the 2 other people i know that had theirs had the same issues!!! And many other people. Maybe you lucked up and got the best built sturdiest one. But i didn't. If i could afford a genesys or 88rs id still get one in a heart beat. But not the 8816. My experience with the unit just wasnt pleasant. The great sound meant nothing if i couldn't actually get it to work properly..
Old 21st May 2015
  #19
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Laughable. It has some build quality issues I agree. Sonically it is really first class. It's clear that your repair did not fix your problems. All equipment needs service and repair. Does a failed repair equal a junk unit? Audio path is from Neve 88R console.
Sorry man you don't know what you're talking about. As in genuinely, you do not know my experience. My unit has been back for repair four times now, for all different problems. And yes sonically it is amazing, which is why I am a glutton for punishment and continue doing so. But the repair did fix one problem, and then I was on to the next. And next. And next. The irony here is that I am just one person in a home studio turning it on 1-2x a week. I can't even imagine how much these must fail in a pro studio.
Old 21st May 2015
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Hello 303,

I am sorry you're having problems with your AMS-Neve 8816 summing unit. My reply was to the poster VT-MHE, however. So yes, it's true that I do not know anything about your own experience with the box.

If you are in the USA I can tell you that I have had excellent service from the AMS-Neve recommended repair facility in St. Louis, MO. There I had to have a
d-sub connector replaced and they also did some AMS-Neve recommended electronic updates to the unit.

Build quality on AMS-Neve products is not top notch--I do agree. However, our 8816 / 8804 units have performed very well with pretty good reliability. We use them every day.
Old 21st November 2015
  #21
Gear Maniac
 
georgerarnold's Avatar
 

I have a 8816 and I love the sound of it but AMS neve are just not nice. My unit is going wrong in the same way that people describe here. One side is much louder than the other and one of the channels (maybe more) has this weird thing where if you mute the channel it is only muted when it is panned to one side, on the other side it remains open even thought the red light is on. I contacted neve and they just give one line replies telling me they charge £130 just to look at the unit and £60 per hour there after which seems like a heluva lot considering. And they would give no indication of how long it might take to repair. If as people say, these things go wrong every 4 years or so that's big bucks anyone thinking of buying should really consider this. If I was to start again I'd try a different unit mainly because AMS Neve seem like nobends.
Old 21st November 2015
  #22
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgerarnold View Post
I have a 8816 and I love the sound of it but AMS neve are just not nice. My unit is going wrong in the same way that people describe here. One side is much louder than the other and one of the channels (maybe more) has this weird thing where if you mute the channel it is only muted when it is panned to one side, on the other side it remains open even thought the red light is on. I contacted neve and they just give one line replies telling me they charge £130 just to look at the unit and £60 per hour there after which seems like a heluva lot considering. And they would give no indication of how long it might take to repair. If as people say, these things go wrong every 4 years or so that's big bucks anyone thinking of buying should really consider this. If I was to start again I'd try a different unit mainly because AMS Neve seem like nobends.
Have you tried updating the firmware?
Old 21st November 2015
  #23
Gear Maniac
 
georgerarnold's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
Have you tried updating the firmware?
I never use the recall and therefor do not connect the USB so I can't see how it's the firmware affecting this. I'll give it a go though. Thanks.
Old 21st November 2015
  #24
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgerarnold View Post
I never use the recall and therefor do not connect the USB so I can't see how it's the firmware affecting this. I'll give it a go though. Thanks.
You have to use the USB and have the program open for the box to function correctly. It's a pain, but that's probably the problem, so good news.
Old 21st November 2015
  #25
Gear Maniac
 
georgerarnold's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
You have to use the USB and have the program open for the box to function correctly. It's a pain, but that's probably the problem, so good news.
Really? I've been using it for ages without. In what way? Am I going to look a total fool now? Thanks.
Old 21st November 2015
  #26
Gear Maniac
 
georgerarnold's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
You have to use the USB and have the program open for the box to function correctly. It's a pain, but that's probably the problem, so good news.
Thanks this definitely helped with the stereo field problem. Neve could have mentioned that surely? Still got that channel 12 which only mutes on one side though. Weird. Thanks for the advice. Gearslutz success story.
Old 22nd November 2015
  #27
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgerarnold View Post
Thanks this definitely helped with the stereo field problem. Neve could have mentioned that surely? Still got that channel 12 which only mutes on one side though. Weird. Thanks for the advice. Gearslutz success story.
Yeah, it's a weird feature especially since I don't even use it for summing from a computer. I have it hooked up to a tape machine, and use it with another mixer as a full desk, which is works really well for me with all it's connections and features. But i have to use an old laptop just for the recall, which I don't really use and is just open all the time.

It's a very strange box, not like any other summing mixer. The sound and headroom is incredible as is the stereo width. I paid over $1k for the faders, which is ridiculous, but they are nice to have for mixing and are great for auxes with the direct outs.

A couple of tips: I keep it on all the time, because when I turn it off, some of the channels will not work until hit hard with audio. Also update the firmware if you haven't already. And you probably know to hit the transformers harder by pulling back on the stereo bus and turning the channels up.
Old 1st April 2017
  #28
Here for the gear
BTW, I sold mine. Done dealing with AMS/Neve's poor QC.
Old 1st April 2017
  #29
Here for the gear
BTW, I sold mine. Done dealing with AMS/Neve's poor QC.
Old 2nd April 2017
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Have a look at the Speck electronics via fader system.

Cheers
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
MusicKat / So much gear, so little time!
19
Kenadon / Post Production forum!
25
Bubbakron / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump