The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ProAc Studio 100 or Neumann kh120?
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Head

ProAc Studio 100 or Neumann kh120?

Guys, Im in the market searching for a new pair of monitors, mainly to complement my NS-10's doing Mixing work but will also be used extensively for tracking.
So far I've nailed it down to ProAcs ou the new Neumann Kh120 active.
If I go with the ProAcs I already have a great amp to pair them(Jeff Rowland)
Thanks in advance!

P
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Head

Help anyone?
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Guru

The KH120A are reckoned by many to be the best around at the price - that's what I would go for.

(I have the earlier K+H O110D, Geithain RL906 and Harbeth M30A at the moment)
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

have never heard the Neumanns,

But have been using Studio 100's for about a year now and couldn't imagine my life without them.
Came from NS-10's. The poor old NS-10's have been sitting on a shelf behind me since the ProAcs came onto the scene.

The ProAcs just come out and hug you and it just the image they produce is something very special, you seem to forget about the speaker and just listen to the sound which is a great thing IMO.
This is coming out of an Aurora into a Bryston 4B too.
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

I used proacs for about 10 years as my primary monitor.
Being that i hate subs i wanted something with a little more low end extension.
I ended up going with Harbeth compact 7ES.
There is another lower octave.
Its like the proacs big brother.
I use both.
But the harbeths are now my primary monitor.
Old 27th June 2012
Gear Maniac

My opinions -
Out of those 2 options, definitely go with the ProAcs. Better transient response, wider sound (I'm not sure of the spec sheets, i mean that the ProAcs SOUND much wider frequency wise and dynamics wise)... I listened to the Neumanns today and they are compressed sounding and favored certain frequency bands over others (namely a certain soft section of bass and the papery frequencies in the upper mids i.e. stuff sounds trashier than it actually is, similar to a car stereo that's not too accurate).

Outside of these options, I'd suggest Focal CMS50 of 65s in that price range. Best mix translations I've gotten so far (and I've tried alesis, ns10s, adam a7 and adam p22, bowers and wilkins matrix 805.. the last one is vaguely similar to the proac voicing).
Old 27th June 2012
Gear Nut

The ProAc's are one of the best things that I've ever bought for my studio. Totally changed my life.
Old 27th June 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
No Brainer.......The Proacs simply because they are less fatiguing and you can work with them longer. I hate monitors that spike your ears. The down side is that some people claim you can't hear transients as well with them. But then again that's why they are less fatiguing. And your Rowland amp will run circles around the amps built into the kh120s.
hmm... i'd say the transients are way better on the ProAcs and that's part of WHY they aren't fatiguing (less distortion/compression).. cheers
Old 29th June 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
Speakers compress and distort when they are over driven. That's not the effect I was talking about. The Proacs are rated to 150 watts and have plenty of headroom before they compress or distort. What I was saying is that they don't grind into your ears like a set of ice picks and because of this they are less fatiguing and in fact sound very natural.
Frank, we are in agreement and saying the same thing. The ProAcs do NOT compress/distort, thus they are not fatiguing (given good amp of course)... What I was saying is that the Neumanns DO compress/distort at moderate volumes...

Most monitors you don't have to turn up much at all before getting some traces of distortion (enough to annoy your ears/brain on a long day). It's something that's only obvious by way comparison. Any time I have upgraded to a more neutral and 'transient-capable' / higher headroom speaker, the fatigue factor noticeably diminishes.
Old 10th January 2016
Gear Maniac

I have a pair of Neumann KH 120's and have been offered Proac Studio 100's at a very low price, should I buy them?
Old 12th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampar View Post
I have a pair of Neumann KH 120's and have been offered Proac Studio 100's at a very low price, should I buy them?
You resurrected an oldie haha. Those proacs are great, I'd assume youll like them better but thats taste. The end of the day if its a really good deal just buy them, and if you don't like em theres always someone looking to buy them and you may make a profit.
Old 18th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampar View Post
I know I'm kind of grave digger here, but have the same thing going on. I'm using KH120A now and pair of ProAc Studio 100 (old ones) appeared on used market around my area for $1350 a pair. I know I will need a good amp for them but now I'm interested in sound differences mostly and the value I'm getting if I decide to go for Proac's. Anyone used both?
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

That’s a good deal
Buy them and compare yourself.
You can always sell them again.
Old 22nd January 2020
Here for the gear

I use Neumann and Studio 100 I think
Studio 100 / very good image and decay this need amps very open option
Neumann / nice resolution not box effect .Very stabile Sound
I loved Neumann

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search