The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Custom API at Oceanway
Old 31st January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Nigel’s room with Delcon is available for hire atr strongroom London .
Are you going to mix something there?

Is the API EQ rack still with it?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post

I have been tempted to book a mix session out of curiosity. Would love to run some recent ITB mixes through it and see what magic it can impart!
Gear Guru

Quote:
I have been tempted to book a mix session out of curiosity. Would love to run some recent ITB mixes through it and see what magic it can impart!
We expect a full report if you do.
Old 1st February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post

I think the EQ rack is still in LA at United studio B.
Old 2nd February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbs View Post
want to echo other peoples' calls for a suitable / available replacement for the Dalcon preamp - it seems all my favorite records were made with a Dalcon. I've been recommended this kind of 0hz - daylight preamplifier many times and am very curious about picking up something similar. spectra sonics maybe? quad eight?
Same. God I want an accurate clone of a Dalcon channel so, so badly.
Old 11th December 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orphanaudio View Post
Dennis' Dalcon is still in service up in the northwest at a Non-Profit recording school he is running.

I worked on multiple albums with Dennis and the Dalcon in the late 70,s / early 80,s when it was in one of the old Heider/Filmways trucks in Malibu. (including several Surf-Punks albums). We also had a Urei-Bushnell mixdown desk upstairs that belonged to David Gordon. This was the green desk that got sold to Don Landee and eventually ended up at 5150. I spent quite some time making stereo mods inside that one, and I still have a few Urei 1108 amp blocks from other Urei-Bushnell gear, some of which I,ve built into unbelievable sounding rackmount preamps.

The eq sections on both Dalcons are in fact 70,s Spectrasonics 3bands. They are inductor based and designed to go in the feedback loop of an amplifier.
The really cool thing about Dennis' desk is it was designed to quickly split apart into two sections (tracking and monitor/master sections) so it could easily fit thru a doorway for mobile recording. Dallas even designed quick bolt-on handles that allowed two guys to pick each section up and walk it into a room or truck. You just dropped the superlight tubular aluminum frame in place. walked each section in, slid them together on the frame and turned two huge jackscrews that simultaneously bolted the desk back together and seated the giant array of built-in AMP multi-pin signal connectors between the two sections. Absolute genius!

The Signetics chips are so far out of production, only their memory remains, however I have a stash of several thousand of them ready to build Dalcon-like preamps if anyone is interested. The preamp is transformer input to a transistor/signetics hybrid circuit that is so fast it can actually pass video. And yes, it will pick up any stray radio frequencies if you are not extremely careful. This is not a preamp that anyone can use and will get you into trouble fast, especially with digital gear since it can be sounding mad-good and oscillating full tilt at 1mhz at the same time. Push that into a DAW front-end and see what comes out.........
Goddd, somebody work up a Dalcon channel strip with Orphan's chips and the original spectra sonics built-in eq (with the possibility of patching a 550a in instead)! Plzzzzzzzz
Old 6th January 2020 | Show parent
I have nothing to add guys, but reading is insanely interesting.
Old 16th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orphanaudio View Post
Dennis' Dalcon is still in service up in the northwest at a Non-Profit recording school he is running.

I worked on multiple albums with Dennis and the Dalcon in the late 70,s / early 80,s when it was in one of the old Heider/Filmways trucks in Malibu. (including several Surf-Punks albums). We also had a Urei-Bushnell mixdown desk upstairs that belonged to David Gordon. This was the green desk that got sold to Don Landee and eventually ended up at 5150. I spent quite some time making stereo mods inside that one, and I still have a few Urei 1108 amp blocks from other Urei-Bushnell gear, some of which I,ve built into unbelievable sounding rackmount preamps.

The eq sections on both Dalcons are in fact 70,s Spectrasonics 3bands. They are inductor based and designed to go in the feedback loop of an amplifier.
The really cool thing about Dennis' desk is it was designed to quickly split apart into two sections (tracking and monitor/master sections) so it could easily fit thru a doorway for mobile recording. Dallas even designed quick bolt-on handles that allowed two guys to pick each section up and walk it into a room or truck. You just dropped the superlight tubular aluminum frame in place. walked each section in, slid them together on the frame and turned two huge jackscrews that simultaneously bolted the desk back together and seated the giant array of built-in AMP multi-pin signal connectors between the two sections. Absolute genius!

The Signetics chips are so far out of production, only their memory remains, however I have a stash of several thousand of them ready to build Dalcon-like preamps if anyone is interested. The preamp is transformer input to a transistor/signetics hybrid circuit that is so fast it can actually pass video. And yes, it will pick up any stray radio frequencies if you are not extremely careful. This is not a preamp that anyone can use and will get you into trouble fast, especially with digital gear since it can be sounding mad-good and oscillating full tilt at 1mhz at the same time. Push that into a DAW front-end and see what comes out.........
old reply but..

Dennis sadly passed away last year. However I bought his Oceanway HR4 speakers, and a friend bought his Oceanway RM1 ribbon mic..He was old friends with Allan Sides so he had Allen's OWA items.. his kids were trying to liquidate his studio stuff. He had a Neve 8128 as well, I wasn't looking for a desk though..
for those who don't know, Dennis Dragon was the brother of Daryl [the Captain of Captain and Tennille]
always good to hear from Ken. always a treasure of info

these speakers are ungodly great btw.
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

Not sure if this was mentioned but I believe Beck purchased the Dennis Dragon Dalcon, which Charlie Bolois refurbished some years back. From what I understand Beck has since sold it.
Old 15th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnstile View Post
Not sure if this was mentioned but I believe Beck purchased the Dennis Dragon Dalcon, which Charlie Bolois refurbished some years back. From what I understand Beck has since sold it.
Interesting... wonder where it went as these are rarer than trident a ranges
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ettel View Post
> do you remember what opamps are in that console, and roughly when it was built?<

I can't give away all the secrets on this forum, but I will tell you that the pre-amp was made by a company called Signetics. Signetics was one of the original Silicon Valley companies and was a major player in semiconductors in the '60's and '70's. They finally succumbed to competition from Intel and AMD.

Allen bought the console in 1977. I think it was built a couple years before. Bill Putnam had a few semi-trailers full of junk and experiments from the studio and UREI. The console was in one of those when Allen got it.
Signetics introduced the NE5542/32 back in 1976. The 5534 was a variation of the Philips TDA1034, used in Neve 81 consoles. Back then the fastest monolithic unity gain stable opamp was the LM318 at a 70 v/us slew rate, used in Ampex ATR 100 recorders.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting... wonder where it went as these are rarer than trident a ranges
Yeah I think there are three of them ?
Old 16th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Yeah I think there are three of them ?
I’ve heard the same. Greg Koller, Beck, and Nigel Godrich
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

So in decent hands I guess yeah ? 🤣
Old 23rd September 2020
Gear Maniac

I'm desperate to get my hands on the Dalcon preamps (Signetics?), or at least a close approximation. Having a clone come to the 500 series would be a dream come true.

Any comparisons to the usual suspects: API, Neve, Electrodyne, etc? I've been eyeing the Spectra Sonics preamps, wondering if those might get me in the ballpark.
Old 23rd September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Dalcon preamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManaTau80 View Post
I'm desperate to get my hands on the Dalcon preamps (Signetics?), or at least a close approximation.
Was told from good authority the NE540 based gain blocks in the Dalcon are 40 dB.
Ask your tech to test the circuit in Spice or breadboard a physical amplifier.
Oscillation is the norm.
Attached Thumbnails
The Custom API at Oceanway-40db.jpg  
Old 23rd September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManaTau80 View Post
I'm desperate to get my hands on the Dalcon preamps (Signetics?), or at least a close approximation. Having a clone come to the 500 series would be a dream come true.

Any comparisons to the usual suspects: API, Neve, Electrodyne, etc? I've been eyeing the Spectra Sonics preamps, wondering if those might get me in the ballpark.
Reach out to Ken Hirsch. He stated in his post (#32) that he would build one if anyone was interested.
Old 24th September 2020
Lives for gear

Tangental question for those who still might know.
I was managing a band The Wizzards from Kansas and we went to Mercury Sound Studios west to record with George Horn on a Dimdeo (sp?) console...aslo a API hybrid.
Any info around ?
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
Tangental question for those who still might know.
I was managing a band The Wizzards from Kansas and we went to Mercury Sound Studios west to record with George Horn on a Dimdeo (sp?) console...aslo a API hybrid.
Any info around ?
I know the DI Medio from Fantasy is at Pogo Studio in Nashville. One kind of cool feature on it is that the mic pre gain is under the armrest, so you don't need to reach up to the top of the console when setting levels.

Last edited by Drumsound; 24th September 2020 at 11:21 PM..
Old 24th September 2020
Lives for gear

Yeah i think rob Schnapf had one and thats what they did the first Foo Fighters album on.

He's prolly well versed in all things relating to these rare beasts.

Wiggy.
Old 25th September 2020
Lives for gear

We had the Wally Heider studio IV console.
32 ch.
API cards and EQ’s. Frank Demideo frame and wiring.
Great console.
Ergonomically pleasing with the mic pre in the bolster.
Old 25th September 2020
Lives for gear

The Demidio consoles tended to be modded with 990 op amps.
Old 25th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
We had the Wally Heider studio IV console.
32 ch.
API cards and EQ’s. Frank Demideo frame and wiring.
Great console.
Ergonomically pleasing with the mic pre in the bolster.
Cool!

What was the topology if you know?

2520 DOA's?

Where is it now?

Speaking of cool API vibez... check this one!

https://reverb.com/item/35829744-197...om-a-m-records

Wiggy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut;Speaking of cool API vibez... check this one!

[url
https://reverb.com/item/35829744-1975-api-3224-recording-console-from-a-m-records[/url]

Wiggy
Road trip Wiggy?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
Road trip Wiggy?
I’d be there if.. there was no ‘rona’ and you promise me we can rob a few banks along the way☺️

That’s like a dream console for me!
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’d be there if.. there was no ‘rona’ and you promise me we can rob a few banks along the way☺️

Same! Looks perfect eh!
That’d be a pretty cool movie script....
Old 26th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Cool!

What was the topology if you know?

2520 DOA's?

Where is it now?

Speaking of cool API vibez... check this one!

https://reverb.com/item/35829744-197...om-a-m-records

Wiggy
That's AMAZING! I wonder what the real price is. Looks like he's using Reverb to advertise and then go off book for serious negotiations.
Quote:
Road trip Wiggy?

Quote:

Quote:
Same! Looks perfect eh!
That’d be a pretty cool movie script....
Pick me up in the midwest on your way to LA!!!
Old 26th September 2020
Lives for gear

maybe a where are they now thread would be cool.
As a API dealer since mid 70's we delivered some interesting consoles.
I had a 1604 built into a 2488 frame for Reela Film Labs...included 940 group gates for some early automated ducking. It might have included their shortlived automated parametric...and their MDA...motor drive amplifier.
i believe it went to Boston possibly to a school. Whereabouts ?

Last edited by MIKEHARRIS; 26th September 2020 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: sp
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Hey all! I was browsing Instagram and I found some posts Allen Sides made about the console last year on the Ocenway page. Thought I'd post them here for posterity.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwfeJliA...on_share_sheet

THE REAL STORY about Ocean Way B’s legendary custom yellow console. Around 1970 Bill Putnam who had always built custom consoles for his studios was looking for something new to replace his existing ones. Short term he had rented a custom portable console designed by a tech who had worked at his studios named Dallas Jorden. They installed this console in studio 4 and his engineers really liked the sound. Based on that Bill commissioned Dallas to build 3 32 input consoles for studios 1,2 and 3. Dallas had designed a super fast very unique op amp that slewed at 200 volt’s per microsecond and ran on +or- 22 volt rail’s which was the basic building block of the console. This amp had some issues that made it difficult to design around. If you took anything less than 20 db of gain the amp wood go into oscillation. The new console had the ability to go from Mic to Buss including the EQ with only three preamps in the signal path. During construction there were lots of problems and it appeared that the console was so unstable that it was not going to function acceptably. At that point Bill jumped in and begin to make design changes to get the project back on track. Bill designed a 1 to 1 mic transformer to replace the existing 3 to 1 to help stabilize the gain structure. He made a lot of grounding and compensation changes that generally got the console to a point where he thought it was ready. They installed it in Studio 1 and the first session was strings with Armin Steiner engineering. Armin thought the console sounded amazing but if you just looked at it the wrong way the whole console would go into oscillation and all the meters would pin. The console was a complete disaster and they had to pull it out after about a month. To be continued.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwffeY6g..._web_copy_link

YELLOW CONSOLE STORY CONTINUED- Bill had invested a lot of money in this project and the console was just sitting in storage and clearly the other two would never be built. I had purchased Dallas’s portable console after it had come off rental and installed in my studio but it only had 24 input’s. I really liked the way it sounded but needed something bigger. I saw a unique opportunity here. Even though Bill was a close friend I offered him 30K for the console “as is” and he took it and wished me good luck. I think Bill had over 150k in the development at that point. I pulled Dallas’s portable console and sold it to Dennis Dragon and than Installed the new console in my original garage studio on Ocean Way St. in Santa Monica. I began with the help of my good friend Jay Kaufman a three month effort to correct all of the grounding and stability issues of this console. Jay spent much of that time under the console cutting traces and trying every imaginable option to make this thing function. There were a few points where I was beginning to think that it might not be possible. Jay and I would have brain storming sessions about every possible grounding and gain optimization scheme imaginable. I was determined to not compromise the consoles virtually unparalleled performance if I could only get it to work reliably. We finally got the console working flawlessly and completely stable. I had done a number of sessions on the console and invited Bill down to hear the results. He was very impressed with the resolution and particularly the low end punch. Bill congratulated us on completing the vision. I have no doubt given the time Bill could have fixed the problems but he had a lot of things on his plate and just couldn’t spare the time. To be continued. .

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwfiVxgA..._web_copy_link

YELLOW CONSOLE CONTINUED:
We eventually moved this console to Hollywood and it got a reputation as the fastest console on the planet earth with flat bandwidth to 100K and an absolute minimum of circuitry in the signal path. We added an entire bank of original API 550-A Eq’s to augment the boards existing EQ’s which could be inserted or totally bypassed. This gave the possibility of six bands and thirty frequency’s on every channel and since the on board EQ was essentially passive and got it’s gain from the ch. line amp you went through no additional electronics whether the board EQ was in or out. Many additional Mod’s including GML automation continued as the years passed. George Massenburg had done a number of sessions in B and really thought this console sounded great. Literally hundreds of gold and multi platinum records were done in B and we were a real thorn in side of SSL’s quest to dominate the pop music scene. Eventually we reached a point where we were doing so many huge sessions, most of which were dual 24 trk’s locked together, that even with the additional 16 Input API side car we were just running out of input’s and monitor positions. Another great client of ours Nigel Goodrich who had done Radio Head, Beck and other album’s in studio B loved the room and the console and made me promise that if I ever decided to pull this console I would give him first opportunity at buying it for his private studio in England. About a year later we decided to make the change to a custom, discreet 64 input Neve class A console and retain the bank of API Eq’s. I had a slight problem in that Beck who had also done most of his records in studio B as well as John Brion who used B all the time were both insistent that they should get this console. I had promised this console to Nigel and was not going to break my word even though I was offered triple what I sold it to Nigel for. I did build a custom bank of 8 mic pre’s identical to the originals for Beck as a peace offering. 
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnstile View Post
Reach out to Ken Hirsch. He stated in his post (#32) that he would build one if anyone was interested.
Has anyone contacted Hirsch about having some preamps built?
📝 Reply