The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitors - Adams, Dynaudio, or Genelecs?
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Nut

Monitors - Adams, Dynaudio, or Genelecs?

I'm in the market for some new near field monitors, I've got it narrowed down to these:

Genelec 8050
Adam S3A
Dynaudio BM6A or BM15A

What do you suggest? Thanks!
Old 24th May 2006
I'm gonna give a big vote for the ADAMs. They are all great choices but ADAMs it is.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

I think this has been done too many times now, not that its your fault. Have you tried search, its all there, and very current.

FWIW i say Adam S3a's (I use the P33a's at the moment) or Klein and Hummel O300d's. Both top notch.

Also what kind of music are you mixing?

If you need deep bass the Adams need a sub. The K&H has plenty of deep bass, but its not as tight or as punchy as the Adams. The Adams also go louder.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Another vote for the ADAMs.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Nut

Thanks

Thanks, I'll do a search. I just joined the site yesterday. Still like to hear from anyone who hasn't posted in the past.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Nut

I think I might ad these to the list: K&H O300
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'd suggest listening to those...and choosing for yourself

They're all "great" monitors, but ultimately it's up to your ears in your room...

BTW, don't forget the Barefoot MM27's....
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

If you want truly full range and accurate, add these:

Barefoot MicroMain27

http://www.barefootsound.com/mcm27.htm
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

Depends on you and your music I think. All three would be great though.

I will say that people who comment on Genelecs without having heard the 8000 series are missing out... great monitors!
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Nut

I'm working on a combination of styles, mainly orchestral, folk, electronic, and rock.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

I'm bias... the Genelec 8040's changed my life. I think people will always be psyched about the monitors they own though.

I've never heard the ADAM's.

The genelecs have the most incredible stereo imaging and smooth frequency response. It really transformed the way I mix and made it enjoyable rather than a struggle. Everything just slots into its own pocket with ease.

I think all three options you listed will give you amazing results though.

Have you got good acoustic treatment in your mixing space? (control room/home studio?)... this is a must. The genelecs are at their prime in a relatively dead room.

Rez
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Nut

Yeah, my studio was just acoustically treated. It's tuned really well, can't wait to get some great monitors in there. heh
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Guy
Yeah, my studio was just acoustically treated. It's tuned really well, can't wait to get some great monitors in there. heh
What are the dimensions and how is it treated?
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyV
If you want truly full range and accurate, add these:

Barefoot MicroMain27

http://www.barefootsound.com/mcm27.htm
Yep, we've been using the Barefoot for a few weeks now and they're very accurate and revealing. Mixes translate extremely well.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

After working my way through the years and the monitors

in order of my journey:
Tannoy, Westlake, KRK, Genelics, Dyns, ATC's and Adam.

in order of preference:
ATC SCM50a and ADAM S3a

i own both of these favorites but prefer the nearfield ADAM to the midfield ATC for mixing... guess I'm just a nearfield kind of guy.

I don't think Gens or Dyns or in the same league as these two! IMVHO and in my experience.

goes without saying i've always got NS10's up as well.. outside engineers love them because they're standard and they're actually a guilty pleasure of mine... sometimes.

the ADAM translates beautifully to the NS10's and i've had no "surprises" since I started using them a couple months ago.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Nut

I think I'm leaning towards these two:

ADAM S3-A
Klein and Hummel 0 300 D

Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

My advice would be to do a shootout and see which one you like best.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Guy
I think I'm leaning towards these two:

ADAM S3-A
Klein and Hummel 0 300 D

Actually many great choices.
Dynaudios and Genelecs are OK, in same price segment I would slightly prefer Dynaudio.
IMO there are several 4k+ nearfileds from proven manufacturers that really deserve consideration.

ADAM
PMC
ATC
Klein and Hummel

Again, I prefer Klein and Hummel and PMC, but ADAM and ATC are equally top class monitors, so you can't go wrong with any of them, if you prefer how they sound.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Nut

Spendor
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

I have Genelec 8040's and here are my thoughts. Hope it helps with your decision.

I was using Adams P11A and was having hard time getting solid low end but now it's much easier. I can hear lower frequencies with Gens than P11's although spec wise they go down about the same.

Frequency response is pretty even (although I dipped the highs a bit) and stereo imaging is real good too.

Before Adams I was using Genelec 1030a for like 10 years and trust me, the new ones are much more accurate.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Dynaudio
Regards Tamas Dragon
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

out of those 3 I'd go with the Dynaudios - but that's just me

Jo
Old 24th May 2006
Did someone mention Klein + Hummel O 300 D? ;-)

Just ditched my ADAMs and got the K+H with the 800 Sub. What can I say.. :-)
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt
Did someone mention Klein + Hummel O 300 D? ;-)

Just ditched my ADAMs and got the K+H with the 800 Sub. What can I say.. :-)
way more expensive than the B6A but yes the O300 is mighty fine.

Jo
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo
way more expensive than the B6A but yes the O300 is mighty fine.

Jo

At the same time they are both different animals.

o300d's = 3-way
bm6a = 2-way
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

SF,

If "SF" stands for San Fransisco, drop me a PM and Thomas Barefoot will bring you a pair of MicroMain27s for you to demo. Thomas lives in the bay area.

Thanks,

Tetness
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

ADAM S3As are my favorite thing in the world.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness
My advice would be to do a shootout and see which one you like best.
Listen to this guy; he is giving you a great suggestion. Just don't do the shootout in a store because there is not way you are ever going to make the right choice. But I would still take it a little further and try doing a mix on all three monitors. I don't buy a pair of monitors because I love listening to them. If people did that nobody would ever own a pair of NS-10's. I buy monitors because they are a tool. So get the tool that gives you the best results.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness
SF,

If "SF" stands for San Fransisco, drop me a PM and Thomas Barefoot will bring you a pair of MicroMain27s for you to demo. Thomas lives in the bay area.

Thanks,

Tetness

I should go on record.... Although I love the Adam speakers, I am still waiting on a pair of Barefoots, so do not take my high opinion of the Adam speakers as a comparison to the Barefoots. Adam's are AMAZING, but I can't wait to hear the Barefoots!!!!
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

For that kind of money you really are doing yourself no favours if you dont audition them all. Only you cand ecide. They are all top league.

I got the 8050a's myself and the 8000 series are leagues better than the old Genelec's and they were great back then. For me my choice ended coming down to the K+H 0300D' and the 8050a's.

I found the K+H to have the best solid low end. But the Genelec's were no slouch here either. I found the Gen's to have better stereo imaging and I could see into the mix a little better.

But the K+H 0300D are stunning. For me the Gen's won - but only because they where nearly half the price.

Paul

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search