The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Any dynaudio BM 5A or 6A users?
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Any dynaudio BM 5A or 6A users?

Tell me about them....qualitywise, and sound. Why did you choose these? I am in the market for an actice pair of nearfields, and these are in my price range. BTW a;ready have NS10M's.

thanks

sdf
Old 24th May 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

I use Genelec 1030's

Last year however I mixed a month on those Dynaudios

Loved them too the max

Dry and crunchy sound - and the mixes turned out great - accurate monitors that you'll love.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I agree with MDM... translation is great and my mixing environment is less than perfect. I own the BM5A... Great value too!!!
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

i just got bm6p (passive version) and i love them so far. really clear and accurate sounding. suprisingly small. sounds really full with a sub but for mixing it's not needed. that said i would consider getting a sub for all the times you're not mixing. i don't have the Dynaudio sub but i'm sure it's great.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

They are great- very balanced and easy to listen to for long periods.
They don't go that low or get that loud though.
Consider a good sub.

JR
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I love my BM5a's. I chose them because they had great reviews here on Gearslutz. For the music I generally work with and the size of my room they suit me fine without a sub(for now). They are not fatiguing at all. My mixes have improved since getting them. They do not get very loud before peaking, but loud enough for me (I think of it as built in hearing protection). Good luck.

Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno812
I love my BM5a's. They do not get very loud before peaking, but loud enough for me (I think of it as built in hearing protection). Good luck.

Ditto!
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

What do you mean very loud? Let's say mix to k20 or k14. They should handle that level, don't they? If they can, than they're good for me. I have heard them once, and I loved the sound, so I plan to purchase a pair with one or if money will let me, with 2 subs.
Regards Tamas Dragon
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Nut

another vote for the 5as here !
moved up from tannoy active reveals, and the difference is grand..
i can hear the bass ! i dont feel tired anymore !
they are a pleasure to work on.

Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks Guys!!

I appriecate all ya'lls info on this matter. So the consenus seems to suggest that the 5A's are a wee bit underpowered? I see that the 6A's have more juice for maybe another $600, street price. The 5A'S and 6A's spec out the same in freq response and driver size. The cabinets look the same. The only differences between the 2 are the power amps and the cosmetics?

Now I am seriosly considering the BM6A's...heh

thanks

sdf
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley
Thanks Guys!!

I appriecate all ya'lls info on this matter. So the consenus seems to suggest that the 5A's are a wee bit underpowered? I see that the 6A's have more juice for maybe another $600, street price. The 5A'S and 6A's spec out the same in freq response and driver size. The cabinets look the same. The only differences between the 2 are the power amps and the cosmetics?

Now I am seriosly considering the BM6A's...heh

thanks

sdf
The 6As go down lower than the 5As and their cabinet is slightly larger, etc. I know them both and love them both. Great value. Depending on your personal preference you might even consider a pair of 5As and a sub. That package would not cost much more than the 6As outright.

I love my BM6As for the record.
Old 25th May 2006
I have the 6As and love them. For some reason, I didnt like the 5As nearly as much. Even aside from the bass response I felt like there was something weird going on in the mids. I didnt spend enough time on them to be able to pinpoint what it was that I didnt like but there was a pretty big difference to my ears. thumbsup
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

6a's really accurate and great for long listening - super revealing. But NOT LOUD.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

BM6A's here - I find them to be very detailed and easy to listen to for extended periods of time.

The real problem with these is in accurately hearing what is going on in the lowend. You really need to use a sub with either the 5 or the 6 IMO
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Bm6a's here as well. Everything that's been said so far is dead on.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I have the 5a's and work in a small room, if I had a larger room I'd go with the 6a's for more volume.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Addict

Had my 6A's for 6 years now and still love 'em....
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Love my BM6a's. Discovered them at MasterDisk in NY... after I'd worked for 7 months on the Otep record, I flew to NY to master with Howie Weinberg and Roger Lian. At the end of the night, Roger played me the whole record top to bottom and I thought "wtf are these amazing speakers?" It sounded like a smaller version of my control room mains.... wonderfully accurate and musical.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

I LOVE my BM6A's. Can't live without 'em...mixing is a pleasure on these. Very detailed and not the type of speakers that make EVERYTHING sound good.thumbsup
Old 25th May 2006

I love the 5a's. Way less ear fatique than my previous solutions. Very detailed.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Maniac

BM6As here - I think they're plenty loud enough for near field i.e. 3 or 4 feet away. As for bottom end, I was surprised how far down they went for such compact speakers -especially when you consider that some of the real estate is taken up with the power amps. I can't remember the spec but I know you can hear lower.

I used to run them with NS10s as alternatives, actually quite a good match in that they are so different. You'll notice the difference in bottom end and smoothness of the top.

The very best thing about them is that they don't lie and don't fatigue.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I love my BM5a's! Dead on accurate and NO ear fatigue. Like Inspector Clouseau would say, "do you have a lesence to play dees moniteur"!!! Dynaudio, you rule!!!!
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Dynaudio

Coming from Mackie HR-824's....

BM5A's

Imaging and detail is stunning. My mixes improved.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Well HOT Damn!!

I do alot of Rap and HipHop, so maybe I should consider the sub. Maybe I will do without the sub at first, and see where the 6A's stand. You've guys are a great help.
Now, only if I could find someone in Houston with a pair of 6A's so I could checkem out....

Any of you guys tracking and mixing rap or hiphop on these?

Thanks Again!!

Stephen
Old 25th May 2006
Here for the gear

bm6a the shiznit

They wear well too -- the more i use them the more i trust them.
two very tiny cautions:
1. Digital feedback blasts will sometimes blow fuses, make sure you have spares.
2 .They have a small bump at around 270-80. If you start carving that out of your tracks you'll lose some warmth that'll have to be put back in mastering. Trust it instead, it helps balance the missing lowest octave.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Had 'em for a year. Didn't find that they offered the midrange detail that I needed, I regularly had pronounced peaks trying to compensate for what I wanted to hear... although they were fun to listen to. I'm happier with just the NS10s at the moment...

I'm also spoiled by the ADAMs at the studio I freelance at.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have the BM5's at home at the BM6's in the studio. Like others have said, translation is really good, and to me that's all that matters.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

BM6a's here ... brilliant, brilliant speakers ... love'm
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

5a's here...LOVE them. I like these better than the Genelecs I had before and those cost 3 times as much.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Nut

One more vote for the bm6 and bm5's.I have them both and they absolutely rock.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search