The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
trident s40?
Old 23rd May 2006
Here for the gear

trident s40?

Does anyone have an opinions on the trident s40 channel strip?
Old 24th May 2006
Very Very Good

My cousin Justin from Gridlock Fl has bought some and he is a Neve man you should hear his drum sound. Its a punch machine.
Regards.•:*¨¨*:•. ¸¸.•´¯`•.Mark Fairfax-Harwood, Engineer Springvale Studios
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

i had one before i sold my entire life away. i do miss it. good pre, great di, great eq, great dynamics. excellent on guitars, both acoustic and electric. does well with a kick drum, too.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear
Yeah, I had a "loaner" for a while. I really liked the S-40 strip. Everything seemed to work as should and sounded really Pro...!....
Old 5th March 2008
Lives for gear

I have a trident s40. I love it.
Old 5th March 2008
Here for the gear

TRIDENT S40

The S40 is being reduced in price soon as there is a new version, the S50 being launched at Frankfurt Musikmesse next week.
Both models will continue in production. The S50 has a different chipset and some range changes, but is essentially the same solid analogue channel strip.

More details when available.
Thanks for the good reviews.

JOHN ORAM
Old 2nd May 2008
Gear Maniac

What's the difference between the Trident 4T and S40?
I know the 4t is a one space unit and the Eq has 3 bands. Is the mic pre and compressor the same?
Old 7th May 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattioliCo View Post
What's the difference between the Trident 4T and S40?
I know the 4t is a one space unit and the Eq has 3 bands. Is the mic pre and compressor the same?
If you send me an e-mail I can send you information on both units.
The 4T has the same mic pre, the compressor on the S40 has the added advantage of an infinitely adjustable ratio control and of course the EQ is more comprehensive.

Graham Waller
Sales Office Manager
[email protected]
Old 25th February 2011
I have the Trident S40, the EQ section alone is worth the price of the unit.
This gets a lot of use over here. I also have a Universal Audio LA610, API 3124, A Design Pacifica and an Avalon U5. The Trident S40 adds nicely to my color pallet.
Old 28th February 2011
I have had an s40 for about 5 years and really like it! I just got a Langevin DVC thinking it might outshine the trident for vocals but I keep going back to the s40. The eq and comp seem really nice to me. People seem to sleep on these tridents- the s20 has to be the best deal out there for 500 used. Is it just that these are not designed by Oram that people think they are inferior or something? I think I read that on a post somewhere...
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

Bumping this thread vs. starting a new one...

A friend of mine just asked me the other night if I wanted to borrow (long-term) a Trident S40 he is no longer using! I came home, looked it up, tried to get some info, nice looking channel strip for one, and quite happy to see some positive things being said about it here. Right now I'm only using the pres/di of my Presonus Firestudio Mobile so I think it's fair to assume it will be definitely be step up from that! Occasional vocals (C414B-ULS mic), but mostly for bass and electric guitar DI tracking, I'm stoked!

Old 12th March 2011
Lives for gear

Well I've had it a few days now and not sure how I feel about the preamp section. I don't have much experience with higher end pres, much less with Trident A or B series, so this is purely my observation in contrast to more prosumer preamps found on Digi, Ensemble, and Presonus type of gear. Dunno, it sounds a but 'murky', for lack of a better term.

There is some punch there but there a bit of a cloudy/clogged sound from recording male vocals through the C414. I switched to a Rode NT1A then a Beta SM57 and same thing, this of course, without the EQ section engaged. Patching back to the Presonus Firestudio Mobile pre definitely sounded a bit thinner but there was more clarity overall. I will try to experiment more with the eq setting over the weekend, perhaps that's all it needs, so nip/tuck on the way in.

There is also a slight chance that this unit (which is a long-term loaner) has a defective input section? I tried the DI with bass and electric guitar and it distorts with barely any gain up. I've tried lowering the gain and increasing the output and vice-versa, but there is just some gnarly distortion going on (which in some weird way could sound cool for a certain genre, but I'd like to get a nice clean signal).

Could it be a capacitor issue? I'm not too good with the techy side of things so I'm asking if it's a common thing and if it's an easy and affordable fix?

Thanks for any advice...
Old 13th March 2011
I always have the EQ section engaged when using the s40, unfortunately I seem to get a muffled/flat sound without it. The EQ is the heart of this unit IMO, tons of interesting flavors.

I would agree with you, if you said the DI instrument input was easily distorted. This distortion is part of the units characteristics.

If you want a clean DI input, try an Avalon U5.

If you want a colored DI input with a hint of Britt distortion, the S40 will do nicely.

Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAOS View Post
I always have the EQ section engaged when using the s40, unfortunately I seem to get a muffled/flat sound without it. The EQ is the heart of this unit IMO, tons of interesting flavors.

I would agree with you, if you said the DI instrument input was easily distorted. This distortion is part of the units characteristics.

If you want a clean DI input, try an Avalon U5.

If you want a colored DI input with a hint of Britt distortion, the S40 will do nicely.

Well I can understand a pleasing distortion which can occur when pushing the DI input a bit hard, but this particular issue is a bit odd. I mean it's really distorted sounding with barely any gain?

Old 20th March 2011
I think you may want to get your s40 looked at. I havnt experienced any of the issues youre having- though I guess it could be different ears.... I have owned the presonus eureka back in the day and found the s40 to be a major step up in all the aspects. I also have a c414 and through the s40 I would never call it cloudy at all. If anything I found it to be TOO bright. I have found my fav combo is using a beesneez jade mic with the s40 which is AWESOME! I know the different models of 414s are very different as well. The DI will give you some edgyness if pushed hard but I think you should get a natural sound if you dont push it. Make sure you check the hi-cut knob because the eq can look flat but there is an additional hi and low cut knobs that will fool you- that should only be an issue if the eq is engaged though... Good luck with it
Old 6th June 2011
Here for the gear

suggestions?

Any suggestions for EQ and/or compressor settings for male lead vocals on the S40? Compressor before or after EQ? (I'm using a Shure SM7B.)

THANKS!!
Old 30th September 2011
Sorry for the late reply- try eq before comp cutting some of the low rumble usually around 50-80 hz ( I really like the high and low shelves on the eq!). This will help it not over comp the plosives. Ive found that comp to be oddly sensitive so hit it lightly (or not but keep that in mind). Sometimes I hit it hard for rap vocs. I usually like to hear a bit of the comp working so I really like this one. I record mainly rap vocals with beesneez jade or james mics or tlm193. I set the reduction to 3-4:1 and set the threshold to where Im just starting to hear it. I never like to peak the input but just under sounds best. Never used with an sm7. Good luck with it!
Old 12th October 2011
Gear Nut

using this pre with an sm7(any version) or any other mic that requires alot of gain can be hard. it gets very noisy at higher gain settings at least mine does.

its a great pre for what i paid for it though. eq is great, compressor takes some practice to learn how to make it sound good but can work great for tracking vox once you do learn it.

the pre is colored but in a weird way... not too sure how to describe it, i was told it sounded similar to daking but ive never heard a daking so i wouldnt know.

BTW is this channel strip considered high end ? ive always wanted to know.
Old 12th October 2011
Lives for gear

I think the trident/oram preamp in these is really good. Unfortunately, its build quality is similar to other oram products, ie prone to part failure. Getting it repaired when my dented input pot failed was difficult. First, it was difficult to actually get in touch with someone at oram, and second, they ended up charging me $50 to have a simple dented pot shipped from the uk. Now I know parts markup is a lot but when a part that should last forever fails...

Manley sent me a pot and a cap for free for a VERY old dual mono preamp. Oram charged me $50 for just a pot for a recently produced product. I wouldnt buy another oram product.

If its working, its a very good sounding piece tho.
Old 12th October 2011
Gear Nut

well mine seems to work fine until i try to crank the gain past 25 with a dynamic mic. then it gets a wicked hum.

is this normal?

any clues as to what it may be? i dont think its a ground loop or rf interference because i can crank the gain on my other pres without experiencing this problem.
Old 14th February 2012
Hey Ive noticed my s40 doing the same thing with the noise when you crank it- did you ever find the problem?
Old 23rd April 2012
So in case anyone is having a similar problem- I just fixed mine by re capping the power supply. Super quiet and sounds great! I actually really like the s40. Thanks Frost.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search