The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avalon 747
Old 23rd May 2006
Avalon 747

What are your thoughts on this unit? Please don't say it sucks, or it's great, explain your reasoning. I know there are some anti Avalon people on these forums. I know it has a great clean opti compressor and then some tubes in it to add to the sound. I assume it has less character than a Manley MU, maybe similar in color to a Pend.?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

I am suspicious about this unit because I just don't know anyone who uses one.

That being said, I do have a 737 which I love. The preamp section is awesome and has a lot of headroom. Since my primary reason for loving the 737 is the preamp (which I assume you can get standalone in an AD2022), I would choose another compressor personally. The compressor in the 737 is nice but IMHO is nowhere near as nice as the compression in my Drawmer, and there are so many great outboard compressors out there.... so there are not many compressor/eqs.... IMO just getting a great compressor (standalone) is the best bet.

J.D.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

This is my expeience with this unit. I use it as a bus compressor when mixing out of the box into a Masterlink. I like how the tube path blooms the low and high end together. I a/b the unit off and on but most of the time mixes sounds better when I use it. Again YMMV. I also use it as a front end for keyboards going into the A/D.

And like you said it is a cleaner tube sound than some other units. On some mixes I just run the audio through it with compression not working at all to "glue" things together (I know it sounds cliche but I find it to be true). I like the unit for its' versatility...tube path on or off, eq on or off...oh yeah, the eq is really cool. It's not a parametric but good for program eqing. Very sweet top end.

Hopes this helps.
Old 23rd May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice
I am suspicious about this unit because I just don't know anyone who uses one.

That being said, I do have a 737 which I love. The preamp section is awesome and has a lot of headroom. Since my primary reason for loving the 737 is the preamp (which I assume you can get standalone in an AD2022), I would choose another compressor personally. The compressor in the 737 is nice but IMHO is nowhere near as nice as the compression in my Drawmer, and there are so many great outboard compressors out there.... so there are not many compressor/eqs.... IMO just getting a great compressor (standalone) is the best bet.

J.D.
I like the 737 too..(if you want it to sound big, you can get it with the compressor and EQ.) I know "The Lodge" (mastering house) in NYC uses a lot of the Avalon gear including the 747.

I get the impression the 747 allows you go add a little more compression without adding the color of the Manley which makes it appealing to me.
Old 23rd May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_sibs
This is my expeience with this unit. I use it as a bus compressor when mixing out of the box into a Masterlink. I like how the tube path blooms the low and high end together. I a/b the unit off and on but most of the time mixes sounds better when I use it. Again YMMV. I also use it as a front end for keyboards going into the A/D.

And like you said it is a cleaner tube sound than some other units. On some mixes I just run the audio through it with compression not working at all to "glue" things together (I know it sounds cliche but I find it to be true). I like the unit for its' versatility...tube path on or off, eq on or off...oh yeah, the eq is really cool. It's not a parametric but good for program eqing. Very sweet top end.

Hopes this helps.
Thanks for your response. How much of a difference does the tube path make when running gentle compression on a mix? Does it add a gentle color that you barely notice, or do you say, "oh that's nice".
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Addict

i have a 747 and i like it. actually i really like it so much that you can call me a 747fanatic. however, here comes the slutty-bitter-salty part: i rarely use it a mix bus compressor in the normal meaning. i use it for about 1-2 d GR at the very very most (most of the time the needle is not moving or just barley), its prime use is too make the mix come together, add a more finished touch (when the bands are on tight budget) and giving the whole mix a greater sense of depth and wideness, and opening up the topend with the gorgeous eq. tsp is always on. the comp section alone is not really that great, but i love the sound of the unit and therefore i love it. but will not have such "trademark"-wow color as a varimu or as much punch as an c2 . the smart c2 works very well in front of the 747. the smart for grab and punch and the 747 for rounding out. well, its slutty but it works nice.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

i like the eq of the 747 much more than the comp. i found the eq to be very useful for buss sweetening (background vox...). however, the comp didn't really cut it for me. the metering is a bit odd (the vu is VERY slowly reacting, i always had the impression the comp is working much harder than the VU was showing. there is a peak led, though).
however, the sidechain eq is quite useful. great feature.
generally, i prefer clean sounding (passive...) eqs, but i like colourful and vibey compressors. the comp on the 747 is just a bit boring for my taste.

bottom line, i think it's a nice unit for the vocal buss, especially for the money.

btw: afair, george evelyn (nightmares on wax) is using the 747 on the mix buss.
Old 23rd May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate
i like the eq of the 747 much more than the comp. i found the eq to be very useful for buss sweetening (background vox...). however, the comp didn't really cut it for me. the metering is a bit odd (the vu is VERY slowly reacting, i always had the impression the comp is working much harder than the VU was showing. there is a peak led, though).
however, the sidechain eq is quite useful. great feature.
generally, i prefer clean sounding (passive...) eqs, but i like colourful and vibey compressors. the comp on the 747 is just a bit boring for my taste.

bottom line, i think it's a nice unit for the vocal buss, especially for the money.

btw: afair, george evelyn (nightmares on wax) is using the 747 on the mix buss.
I was told that even on the Pend. meters, they are not accurate since quick burts may not show up on the meter. I would use the 747 with the tube button in, increase the input to get the tube to work harder, use a faster attack, and use the side chain. Blending the 2 channel bus so everything gels it not boring to me, but just what the doctor ordered many times. The problem is a Manley MU or Pend MU is what the doctor ordered on other material.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation
What are your thoughts on this unit? Please don't say it sucks, or it's great, explain your reasoning. I know there are some anti Avalon people on these forums. I know it has a great clean opti compressor and then some tubes in it to add to the sound. I assume it has less character than a Manley MU, maybe similar in color to a Pend.?
I've had mine for six years now, I like it.

The eq's terrific and the compressor does really nice things to the bass.

With the tube path switched in, it becomes a bit more aggressive, but there's a lot of control available - don't forget, you've got spectral compression as well.

The unit gets a bad rap, but I think that's mostly because of the myriad of controls making it definitely NOT a set it and forget it unit - you really have to fine tune the thing.

It's build quality is first rate, too.

Ed
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Addict

I like the 747 a lot. The EQ is great across the mix, and the tube signal path is almost always on, just adding a little 2nd harmonic in there I guess, which I perceive as a slightly 'fuller' sound. The comp only really works for me when the GR light is flashing but the needle is barely moving. Much more than 1 dB GR and the mix starts sounding strangely squashed, whether the side-chain is in or not.

If you're doing a lot of more 'slamming' music, then an SSL-type comp is probably more the ticket, with the 747 just doing EQ duties.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Maniac

If you use the search engine you'll find a thread where M. Brauer explains how he uses the 747. As far as I can remember, he wasn't really using the comp, but just passing audio thru the tubes on the 2-buss would bring a nice feel in the low-mid and a bit of glue.
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Guru

Well the Avalon gear has been a trial and error for me for years, ive had 747s and then sold them, then want one back, then sell and so on. Well i bought a 2044 which i thought was the bomb and i reach heaven with my studio sound, after about 6 months i decided to buy a 747 again to use on vocal buss but wanted to put the 2044 up against the 747, well i found out using the 2044 that i was getting unwanted brassy sound but warms a little when pushed, the 747 won me over again, i sold the 2044......i plan on staying with the 747, it just gives me a warm sound acorss the buss to make the glue, i have mixed feelings about the side channel, i noramlly do not use it but use the eq. I use a tascam m2600 32 channel with KRK V8 monitors with Amek Neve pres for single channel vocals, bass, guitar etc, then adding the 747 makes it all come full circle, my vote for the buck is the 747.
I dont think anything in the music world is good enough for us picky and ever changing tech minds...lol Avalon is not as bad as some people down it.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

My 747 stays strapped on the 2 bus right after going into my Smart C2(killer combo) My smart does the agressive grab thing while the 747 just creates a mellow glue effect. The EQ is great but dangerous on the 2........When i first got the unit I got really got carried away with the EQ and doing some serious boosting especially at 32K........after having it now for over 5 years I am using the EQ much more subtle ways .....just a touch of the EQ here and there does wonders for the over all mix.....I also use the Massivo right after the 747.......getting some great mixes with that combo!

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
Old 28th May 2006
Here for the gear

It's difficult to compare the 747 with the manley vari-mu they're comlpetely different beasts I like the 747 it was my first introduction into avalon products and find it useful. But the manley is one sweet pressor it's sound IMHO... more transparent then the 747 It's definitely faster if Ihad to choose between the two
I'd pick manley.

JimNdave
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
My 747 stays strapped on the 2 bus right after going into my Smart C2(killer combo) My smart does the agressive grab thing while the 747 just creates a mellow glue effect. The EQ is great but dangerous on the 2........When i first got the unit I got really got carried away with the EQ and doing some serious boosting especially at 32K........after having it now for over 5 years I am using the EQ much more subtle ways .....just a touch of the EQ here and there does wonders for the over all mix.....I also use the Massivo right after the 747.......getting some great mixes with that combo!

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

great eq.

sitting on my vocal buss. warm and shining.

have to check out the compressor.

Old 28th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Same setup as Ron's here - workinggood on all kind of sources. More GR on the Smart on rock stuff, more bottom and sheen on dance music from the Avalon.
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

i owned one for about a year, then sold it...as the compressor was not workable enough for what i was doing. i tried several times, and was never "WOW'D" about it. I get MUCH better results from my Thermionic Culture Phoenix, my Focusrite RED comp, and my Joe Meek SC2 comp. I did like the EQ very much on the Avalon. I took a beating when i sold it, and I am glad I did. What type of music will you be working on.... that can also influence your decision. Ted Fletcher has a stereo mastering comp called the P38. it ir really transparent and to me is more flexable than the avalon. i tried one out last year and really liked it. i just decided to spend the extra on my Thermionic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search