The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's on your master bus? (analog only please)
Old 28th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
It was a while ago and can only remember a ballpark figure, probably is then. That's an insanely good deal.
maybe I'll upgrade at some point.
Old 29th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Recently added Orca Bay

Old 29th August 2020
Today’s mix buss

Today on an edm track I’m mixing, the MP did not make the cut on the mixbuss however, it’s rocking the vocal Channel! (Amazing eq on vocals!!!)
Today’s buss chain was the SB into Stam’s pultecs with nos tubes into the obsidian. That all I needed to make the track pop!
Old 29th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisionary View Post
Loving this chain:

LTLO Silver Bullet (Audioscape Buss Comp on insert>Overstayer MAS>Neve Master Bus Processor.

I can’t for the life of me recreate the tones, depth, width, and vibe from these guys with plugins. Now I’m salivating over a stereo pair of some Miad LCPQ 4040’s. 🤤
Well here you go....
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=miad%20eq
Old 29th August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
Thanks for the tip! I‘m not crazy about the pricing, though. I was quoted for less brand new including shipping. I may just be inexperienced, but I can’t imagine customs fees being more than a few hundred. Perhaps i’ll make an offer that isn’t a total insult if they’re still up in a few weeks.
Old 29th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
Recently added Orca Bay

I saw a review streaky did

How do you like it?
Old 30th August 2020
Gear Addict

What about the (new) Drawmer 1976, that seems really tempting ?
Old 30th August 2020
Gear Addict

Audioscape buss comp right now....I am gonna get another ZOD for stereo buss use and Dan’s input pads...can’t wait!
Old 1st September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisionary View Post
Thanks for the tip! I‘m not crazy about the pricing, though. I was quoted for less brand new including shipping. I may just be inexperienced, but I can’t imagine customs fees being more than a few hundred. Perhaps i’ll make an offer that isn’t a total insult if they’re still up in a few weeks.
Better not imagine, since customs fees are not arbitrary, you can find out in advance. That said, customs can be complicated. Very complicated.
Old 3rd September 2020
As of today:
•Kahayan Epsilon Mini summing box
•Kush Audio Claraphonic
•Klark Teknik Eqp1a’s with gold lion tubes
•Audioscape buss comp (ssl)
•Bart/Louder than Liftoff SSL colour units
•Handsome Audio Zulu
•Antelope Audio Pure 2
Old 4th September 2020
Comp, either:

-API 2500
-Serpent SB4001 (primarily this)
-ADR Compex

or a combination thereof

EQ: API 5500
Old 9th September 2020
Here for the gear
SSL or Vari-Mu depending on my mood.
Into BetterMaker Mastering EQ into HG-2 Black Box
Old 10th September 2020
Gear Nut

VST FaBFilter ProQ3 -> VST SPL Vitalizer -> DA -> Burl B1D -> Anamod -> Thermionic Culture Phoenix -> Thermionic Culture Swift -> Foote Control Systems P3S ME (or API 2500) -> AD -> VST Weiss Limiter (or FabFilter Pro L2)
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

I added the audioscape dcomp for color options
Old 19th September 2020
Was thinking of adding a R neve MBP to have another option than my Obsidian. Anyone here using their SB with a MBP? If so, how do they pair?
Old 20th September 2020
Gear Head

Pretty much anything is good with the SB. That said, I really like a bit of red silk on my mixes even if I don’t use the MBP’s comp or SFE. Sometimes I just engage the red silk without turning up the texture knob to fill out what the “air” boost from the SB doesn’t.
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

Recently redid my mix chain:

Kahayan Solid 4000
LTL Silver Bullet with Rogue Twos
TKAudio BC2ME
FCS EQP1A (FCS input transformers, Cinemag output)
FCS Germanium ClipSat

Also replaced all interconnects.

In total it offers a nice overall glue and impressive RMS gain, with multiple A/B pushbutton tone options. It feels universally helpful and with just enough variety on hand without option paralysis.

It goes from relatively open and fast sounding to heavy analog flavoring and even full-on crunch depending on the overall input level and dry/wet mix of the Solid Bus and ClipSat.
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

Anybody with the hendyamps michelangelo?

It’s calling me... that usually means bad things for my wallet.
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
Recently redid my mix chain:

Kahayan Solid 4000
LTL Silver Bullet with Rogue Twos
TKAudio BC2ME
FCS EQP1A (FCS input transformers, Cinemag output)
FCS Germanium ClipSat

Also replaced all interconnects.

In total it offers a nice overall glue and impressive RMS gain, with multiple A/B pushbutton tone options. It feels universally helpful and with just enough variety on hand without option paralysis.

It goes from relatively open and fast sounding to heavy analog flavoring and even full-on crunch depending on the overall input level and dry/wet mix of the Solid Bus and ClipSat.
Nice chain, and to see another Solid 4K owner. Great unit. How's the ClipSat?

I'm considering adding a stereo EQ, as to always use the SB air EQ. Currently:

Silver Bullet
AudioScape SSL
Kahayan Solid 4K
Dual ZODs
Zulu

Like yourself it's setup to be easily driven. Ideally want an elysia museq but as a hobbyist I can't really justify the cost. Magpha and Weiss EQ-1 working nicely though.
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post

What concerns me about that unit is the (consistently) high number of them listed on the used market. I think people have channel imbalance issues with them?
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post

It's excellent, and you can play with tube selection and gain staging for the transient clarity you want. I mixed with it for a while before moving it into another dedicated mastering room. It's definitely one of those tools that's so different from any plugin that it's a sensible and fun addition to a minimal analog mixbus chain IMO.
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ideally want an elysia museq but as a hobbyist I can't really justify the cost. Magpha and Weiss EQ-1 working nicely though.
Ever thought at the CAG-HDE 250?
That eq is very nice and it’s reasonably priced.

Cheu
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice chain, and to see another Solid 4K owner. Great unit. How's the ClipSat?

I'm considering adding a stereo EQ, as to always use the SB air EQ. Currently:

Silver Bullet
AudioScape SSL
Kahayan Solid 4K
Dual ZODs
Zulu

Like yourself it's setup to be easily driven. Ideally want an elysia museq but as a hobbyist I can't really justify the cost. Magpha and Weiss EQ-1 working nicely though.
That looks great, we definitely have some overlapping sonic taste. I only use my Zulu for tracking and reamping, permanently sitting with a few DI options at the mic input of my Silver Bullet. My friend has a ZOD and I've always wanted one for tracking bass and Moogs, never considered them for bus use. How do they sound there? I may put a Handcrafted Labs compressor back in the lineup for tube tone.

ClipSat is awesome, it has some tapey fullness at the soft knee settings and serious rock tone at the more aggressive knees and drives. What makes it especially useful are the low and high cut filters and blend, so you can use it as a peak eater or parallel tonalizer box focusing on the meat of the midrange. During prints you can ride the blend control for more density or to let a mix settle down and open up.

Also a fun choice for reamping synth, vocal, gtr etc when heavy distortion effects fit. The price and build quality are right too, as with everything I've used from Roger.

Have you considered the elysia x-filter mastering edition? Not the same level of versatility and build quality but less than half the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se
What concerns me about that unit is the (consistently) high number of them listed on the used market. I think people have channel imbalance issues with them?
I think in several cases people were switching them out for newer revisions (earliest models lacked the impedance switch and some frequency toggles). Also for mastering, with the stock tubes and hotter input levels it may not fit well when transient clarity is the priority. Changing tubes, gain staging, or putting it in parallel can be the key, but that's not ideal for everyone. I used mine with the stock tubes for nearly 2 years and never had any issues with channel balance, except for one time when somebody couldn't resist twisting the calibration screws. As with any tube gear, it's a good idea to let it warm up and double check the balance with test tones, RMAA, PD, etc periodically. The cal adjustment from the front panel is really handy.
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Ever thought at the CAG-HDE 250?
That eq is very nice and it’s reasonably priced.

Cheu
Good call, I remember you pointing towards that a while back - I'll take another look. Thanks!
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
That looks great, we definitely have some overlapping sonic taste. I only use my Zulu for tracking and reamping, permanently sitting with a few DI options at the mic input of my Silver Bullet. My friend has a ZOD and I've always wanted one for tracking bass and Moogs, never considered them for bus use. How do they sound there? I may put a Handcrafted Labs compressor back in the lineup for tube tone.

ClipSat is awesome, it has some tapey fullness at the soft knee settings and serious rock tone at the more aggressive knees and drives. What makes it especially useful are the low and high cut filters and blend, so you can use it as a peak eater or parallel tonalizer box focusing on the meat of the midrange. During prints you can ride the blend control for more density or to let a mix settle down and open up.

Also a fun choice for reamping synth, vocal, gtr etc when heavy distortion effects fit. The price and build quality are right too, as with everything I've used from Roger.

Have you considered the elysia x-filter mastering edition? Not the same level of versatility and build quality but less than half the price.

I think in several cases people were switching them out for newer revisions (earliest models lacked the impedance switch and some frequency toggles). Also for mastering, with the stock tubes and hotter input levels it may not fit well when transient clarity is the priority. Changing tubes, gain staging, or putting it in parallel can be the key, but that's not ideal for everyone. I used mine with the stock tubes for nearly 2 years and never had any issues with channel balance, except for one time when somebody couldn't resist twisting the calibration screws. As with any tube gear, it's a good idea to let it warm up and double check the balance with test tones, RMAA, PD, etc periodically. The cal adjustment from the front panel is really handy.
The ZODs were drBill's recommendation for the mixbus. They sound big; solid lows and a pop to the mids. I have them and the Solid 4K on their own chain as to be able to bypass the 4K and quickly find the sweet spot.

BTW, this plugin has just been released which is perfect for driving into HW (auto gain match):

GainMatch plugin by LetiMix - fast manual and auto leveler

Worked wonders with the ZODs which don't have input gain. Has a mix dial too - instant parallel option. Plus you drive from your mixing position, rather than having to octopus yourself moving multiple dials.

I had a Varis and regret selling it, you can't go wrong there. X-filter ME - thanks, I'll look for a demo unit.

MA: that makes sense. Quite a few revisions (like the Varis). Hard to keep up sometimes!
Old 21st September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
The ZODs were drBill's recommendation for the mixbus. They sound big; solid lows and a pop to the mids. I have them and the Solid 4K on their own chain as to be able to bypass the 4K and quickly find the sweet spot.

BTW, this plugin has just been released which is perfect for driving into HW (auto gain match):

Worked wonders with the ZODs which don't have input gain. Has a mix dial too - instant parallel option. Plus you drive from your mixing position, rather than having to octopus yourself moving multiple dials.

I had a Varis and regret selling it, you can't go wrong there. X-filter ME - thanks, I'll look for a demo unit.

MA: that makes sense. Quite a few revisions (like the Varis). Hard to keep up sometimes!
Cool, I really enjoy seeing people look beyond the "intended" application for things and seeing them simply as a tone/tool that can work anywhere. I do still have my Blueface 2019 Varis and love it, but it moved to the mastering room. There's a demo Islander here which I'm considering for the mixbus. It has a slightly sweeter tone and wet/dry mix which is great.

Thanks for the LetiMix tip, looks great and generously priced. I've been using Reaper's parameter inverse linking for analog drive levels but this has some cool tricks onboard and is much more convenient to use anywhere in a mix.

Hendyamps also has his new The Oven ready for orders, a co-design with Moar Applebaum. Not entirely sure of the specifics but looks to be based on the Michelangelo but with expanded voicing and drive options, pentode and MOSFET gain, etc. Pricey but potentially covers a lot of sonic ground.
Old 21st September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool, I really enjoy seeing people look beyond the "intended" application for things and seeing them simply as a tone/tool that can work anywhere. I do still have my Blueface 2019 Varis and love it, but it moved to the mastering room. There's a demo Islander here which I'm considering for the mixbus. It has a slightly sweeter tone and wet/dry mix which is great.

Thanks for the LetiMix tip, looks great and generously priced. I've been using Reaper's parameter inverse linking for analog drive levels but this has some cool tricks onboard and is much more convenient to use anywhere in a mix.

Hendyamps also has his new The Oven ready for orders, a co-design with Moar Applebaum. Not entirely sure of the specifics but looks to be based on the Michelangelo but with expanded voicing and drive options, pentode and MOSFET gain, etc. Pricey but potentially covers a lot of sonic ground.
Yes, much faster than Reapers (albeit great) parameter linking. Never enjoyed setting that up.

The Islander looks great, wanted to hear that for some time. I was going to mention The Oven also, it looks like an absolute beast, but the price matches the promise as you say.
Old 21st September 2020
Lives for gear

Thinking of starting an analog mixbus chain but I'd be using Apollo X8 conversion and not sure it's worth the roundtrip. What converters are everyone using?
Old 21st September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
Thinking of starting an analog mixbus chain but I'd be using Apollo X8 conversion and not sure it's worth the roundtrip. What converters are everyone using?
Avid HD i/o's here.

This is simple for you to try, and zero cost to find out.

Send a mix to output 3/4 of your interface. Plug output 3/4 into input 1/2 and re-record the mix back into your DAW. Compare the two mixes. If you are OK with the re-recorded mix, you're good to go. If not, then maybe a new interface is in your future.
Old 21st September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:

Bose, have you tried the new Zod input pads DrBill mentioned? They sound really cool for getting the levels right into the Zods....i dont have them yet, but sound like the ticket for pushing harder or softer into the Zods.
📝 Reply