The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's on your master bus? (analog only please)
Old 30th July 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
No concerns at all mate, its very well built bit of kit - I just don't find summing mixers in general suit my work flow, and with it being worth a fare bit I've been rethinking what other gear would suit my needs better. so am going hardware DAW inserts route.
Old 30th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Ha - i rem you being a fan of DAW inserts with you 4x Silver Bullets and your multiple Mista Focus's.

Have you found a colour module combo that rivals the SB's A>N for a good generic combo that can be used on all channels in a mix? Blue>Pentode, or Hitmaker>Blue for example?
Old 30th July 2020
I have a choice of gear that I'll use on my Mix buss's. Sometimes some of it, sometimes all of it.

1. Vintage Audio MSL Mk2 (usually insert return on my console's mix bus)
2. Vintage Audio MD3
3. IGS Tubecore 3
4. SSL Fusion
5. Drawmer 1973 (this is pretty much planted on my Fusion's insert return for final tonal shaping)
6. Cranesong HEDD 192 (I listed this because I do use it sometimes for a little extra color if needed)
Old 30th July 2020
Gear Maniac

My Updated analog chain for the master bus:
Dangerous Convert-8 and Apollo 8-> Dangerous 2-Bus+ for 16 channels Summing-> Dangerous Liaison as an insert on the 2-Bus+ where i have these gear connected (Manley Massive Passive- SSL XLogic G Compressor- SSL Fusion (with Neve 8803 and Dangerous Compressor as inserts on the Fusion)- Manley Vari MU (with a pair of Warm Audio Pultecs EQPWA)- Dangerous BAX EQ- Maselec MPL-2 Limiter)->Then the processed signal goes back from the 2-Bus+ to Burl B2 ADC-> DAW-> Dangerous Convert-2 as my monitoring DAC
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

I'm looking for a nice tube unit for group sends and the mix buss. Something to really increase RMS and tube fatness. The BB HG-2 was recommended to me by an experienced user. However, it's slightly out of my budget. Alas, I don't think quality tube gear can be had for an inexpensive price (and rightly so). Must save my pennies ....
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

My Bus
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your master bus? (analog only please)-fb_img_1596141386923.jpg  
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
I'm looking for a nice tube unit for group sends and the mix buss. Something to really increase RMS and tube fatness. The BB HG-2 was recommended to me by an experienced user. However, it's slightly out of my budget. Alas, I don't think quality tube gear can be had for an inexpensive price (and rightly so). Must save my pennies ....
cant critique the BB HG-2 as i only had the plugin and it was decent. In the end i choose the Silver Bullet - so my chain is as follows and truly i"ve had quite of few high end pieces but nothing sounds this good to my ears.

first: Burl mother ship out > Zulu > Phoenix DRS-Q4 m2> Silver Bullet> UBK Kush Tweakers stereo pair back into Burl Mother ship.

On this list i would say the sleepers are the UBK Kush Tweakers and the Phoenix DRS-Q4 m2 they don't nearly get the props they should real killers
Old 31st July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
cant critique the BB HG-2 as i only had the plugin and it was decent. In the end i choose the Silver Bullet - so my chain is as follows and truly i"ve had quite of few high end pieces but nothing sounds this good to my ears.

first: Burl mother ship out > Zulu > Phoenix DRS-Q4 m2> Silver Bullet> UBK Kush Tweakers stereo pair back into Burl Mother ship.

On this list i would say the sleepers are the UBK Kush Tweakers and the Phoenix DRS-Q4 m2 they don't nearly get the props they should real killers
That Phoenix is a real killer. Using it exclusively for mixing and it's a really important piece of the puzzle.
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKER STUDIOS View Post
My Bus
Did you recently acquire these beauties ? I recognize the "sideway" setup next to the faders but I'm pretty sure those neve type units were not there.
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
Did you recently acquire these beauties ? I recognize the "sideway" setup next to the faders but I'm pretty sure those neve type units were not there.
Yep my new setup and I like it alot
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post

Yes, the Silver Bullet is incredibly versatile. I have pairs of all the LTL transformer Colour modules as well as a pair of their pentode tubes, and I'm quite pleased with them. Of course, it's not the same as the Silver Bullet, but a similar vein, I suppose. I'm not sure how many more solid-state pieces I want or need (the answer is always more, but funds don't permit me!), and I'd like to spend money on a tube piece right now. I just really want something to give me that great tube fatness, rounding of transients, filling in the cracks with great tube harmonics, and the glue. There is probably no skimping on the real thing and I should likely save for the HG-2 or something along those lines. I wish Hendyamps were still making the analog stage, the circuit of which is now incorporated into the Da Vinci, I believe, but the Da Vinci is just out of my price range with its extra features ....

Only thing I can do is save, I suppose.
Old 31st July 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes, the Silver Bullet is incredibly versatile. I have pairs of all the LTL transformer Colour modules as well as a pair of their pentode tubes, and I'm quite pleased with them. Of course, it's not the same as the Silver Bullet, but a similar vein, I suppose. I'm not sure how many more solid-state pieces I want or need (the answer is always more, but funds don't permit me!), and I'd like to spend money on a tube piece right now. I just really want something to give me that great tube fatness, rounding of transients, filling in the cracks with great tube harmonics, and the glue. There is probably no skimping on the real thing and I should likely save for the HG-2 or something along those lines. I wish Hendyamps were still making the analog stage, the circuit of which is now incorporated into the Da Vinci, I believe, but the Da Vinci is just out of my price range with its extra features ....

Only thing I can do is save, I suppose.
At this point in time, I'd highly suggest looking into ZOD IDDI's. A strange choice perhaps from first glance, but I've added them after my Silver Bullet, and they have added a luxurious tubey complexity to the sound that I really dig. They are not coming off at this point for anything else that's currently on the market. I think you could get out for somewhere between $1200-1400 or thereabouts, and you'd have a killer set of tube DI's too. You need to ask Dan @ ZOD to make you a pair of input pads, and you're good to go. He has meticulously designed the pads to work with the SB output into the ZOD input.
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
At this point in time, I'd highly suggest looking into ZOD IDDI's. A strange choice perhaps from first glance, but I've added them after my Silver Bullet, and they have added a luxurious tubey complexity to the sound that I really dig. They are not coming off at this point for anything else that's currently on the market. I think you could get out for somewhere between $1200-1400 or thereabouts, and you'd have a killer set of tube DI's too. You need to ask Dan @ ZOD to make you a pair of input pads, and you're good to go. He has meticulously designed the pads to work with the SB output into the ZOD input.
Hi drBill, this is an interesting suggestion that I've never heard of. A quick search shows Paul G loves them too .... Okay, seriously considering them now! I'll see if I can dig up some clips. Do you use them for individual track and group sends too? I imagine they could be great for this purpose too, like sending a bass guitar through. Thanks.
Old 31st July 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hi drBill, this is an interesting suggestion that I've never heard of. A quick search shows Paul G loves them too .... Okay, seriously considering them now! I'll see if I can dig up some clips. Do you use them for individual track and group sends too? I imagine they could be great for this purpose too, like sending a bass guitar through. Thanks.
I use them as DI's and as 2 Buss processing.
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use them as DI's and as 2 Buss processing.
Thanks. Heavily considering these now as an endorsement from you and Paul is enough for me. Just emailed them to see about pricing and such.
Old 31st July 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks. Heavily considering these now as an endorsement from you and Paul is enough for me. Just emailed them to see about pricing and such.
Make sure you tell Dan that you'll need the pads that he built for the Doctor....
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Make sure you tell Dan that you'll need the pads that he built for the Doctor....
I most certainly did!
Old 31st July 2020
Just what the doctor ordered. ;-)
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hadn't heard of these, interesting. That's one hell of an endorsement too!
Old 31st July 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Hadn't heard of these, interesting. That's one hell of an endorsement too!
Yeah, I really dig em. And at this point, even for 2-3X's the price, I'm not sure there's anything on the market that I'd rather use. They are not very sexy, but they DO sound really good.
Old 31st July 2020
Gear Maniac

I have a single one which I bought purely as a DI - but this does make me think a second might be a good idea!

I hear they are good used as microphone preamps too! haven't gotten round to trying that either, parenthood has been keeping me busy recently.
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Kahayan Solid 4000 (rack 1U version) just arrived for mixbus duties, will install and test that this weekend. Liked what I heard of it over in the SB thread.

Quote:
Yeah, I really dig em. And at this point, even for 2-3X's the price, I'm not sure there's anything on the market that I'd rather use. They are not very sexy, but they DO sound really good.
They're on sale atm too which is a bonus! Speaking to Dan right now about ordering a couple with the pads.

How do they react when driven?

Quote:
...parenthood has been keeping me busy recently.
Assuming that's a relatively new thing for you (can't remember how long you've been away from the forum, a couple of years?) - congrats!
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Talking to Dan about them as well! We're going through the steps for me to order them. I hope they're as good as Bill says. I bet they are as his word is not to be taken lightly. Just what the doctor ordered indeed!
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

When did having anything on the master bus become common place? In the 80s, with SSL desks (E/G buss compressors)?
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Talking to Dan about them as well! We're going through the steps for me to order them. I hope they're as good as Bill says. I bet they are as his word is not to be taken lightly. Just what the doctor ordered indeed!
It's your fault I'm getting some!

I had decided against the HG2, but these are at the right price point, and as you say, when drBill and Paul both vouch for them you know they're going to be worth it.

I think I'll place them between the Silver Bullet and Zulu.
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's your fault I'm getting some!

I had decided against the HG2, but these are at the right price point, and as you say, when drBill and Paul both vouch for them you know they're going to be worth it.

I think I'll place them between the Silver Bullet and Zulu.
Heheh, put the blame on drBill! Okay, maybe I deserve some too. They really are at the right price point. I'm not sure what Paul uses them for (maybe just a DI, or mixing through at times?), and I do know he's an avid user of the HG-2.
Old 31st July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Assuming that's a relatively new thing for you (can't remember how long you've been away from the forum, a couple of years?) - congrats!
thanks!

past 9 months - plus the build up before hand
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks!

past 9 months - plus the build up before hand
I bet that has flown by. Quite a few friends have had children recently, they're all both the happiest, and most knackered, they've ever been
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a single one which I bought purely as a DI - but this does make me think a second might be a good idea!

I hear they are good used as microphone preamps too! haven't gotten round to trying that either, parenthood has been keeping me busy recently.
Parenthood is keeping you from trying gear, while trying and buying gear is keeping me from parenthood.
Old 31st July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I bet that has flown by. Quite a few friends have had children recently, they're all both the happiest, and most knackered, they've ever been
sounds about right!
📝 Reply