The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's on your master bus? (analog only please)
Old 25th May 2019
  #871
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyeseeing View Post
Them Miads sound tasty. How do you like them, what do they bring to your current or former setup. Do they compare to anything out?
They are lovely, I Got them early on and find them enhancing in a way like a Maag/NTI. Not surgical. They compare vaguely sonically with Neves and the Great River.
You can't go wrong, very 70's classic and "musical" would be my comment. I love them on a buss as much as any solo instrument or vocal too.
Old 25th May 2019
  #872
Gear Nut
 

New chain I’ve been rocking with:

Neve 551s 60 bell, 16k bell ->
JLM MAC slow attack engaged ->
Maag EQ4 500s air band, some mid cuts,

I just stared experimenting with this JLM opto on 2 bus...I didn’t know what to expect, but for the tracks I’m mixing right now, this combo slays.
Old 26th May 2019
  #873
Gear Maniac
 
alleyeseeing's Avatar
 

Apogee Ensemble>Revox C279>Radial Jdi Duplex >Mic Pre of MPE200 Summit>El7x Fatso Buss Comp>Eq of MPE200 Summit>API 5500>Ensemble

Last edited by alleyeseeing; 26th May 2019 at 03:53 AM..
Old 26th May 2019
  #874
Gear Maniac
 
alleyeseeing's Avatar
 

Thanks for the insight of the Miads.
Old 26th May 2019
  #875
Gear Head
 

Obsidian and Clariphonic

I'll sometimes swap in a Fatso Jr or Drawmer 1968 mkii... or for Acoustic stuff, a Buzz Soc 20
Old 29th May 2019
  #876
Gear Head
 
mnawara's Avatar
My current Master Bus Chain is:
Apollo->Dangerous D-Box Summing->AMS Neve 8803 Stereo EQ->SSL XLogic G Bus Compressor-> SSL Fusion Master Bus Processor-> Maselec MPL-2 Peak Limiter-> Burl Bomber B2 ADC->Apollo to Print
Old 29th May 2019
  #877
Here for the gear
 

Depends on the style but usually something like
outputs summed through Seeport audio - Seem's out quad master outs (for processing different groups accordingly).

Side 1 -> 2 ADM - 1541 inductor EQ's -> Calrec RQD-6400 stereo compression -> Maybe light Culture vulturing ->

Side 2 -> 2 Adm -> 1541 inductor EQ's -> Radio Design Labs -> Radio Design Labs - RU-LA2D -> Stereo Vari-mu compressor (unknown manufacturer) -> Radio Design Labs - RU-LA2D -> 2 Tab/Telefunken V74's ->

Summed w/ a Radial Workhorse summing mixer -> (maybe) 2 more Adm 1541's -> Calrec RQD-6400 stereo compression / light limiting.

Could change at any minute though. Just what I've been messing with atm ...
Old 29th May 2019
  #878
Gear Maniac
 

Ssl4k, focusrite red 3 rev a and a pair of pultec eqp1s3
Old 29th May 2019
  #879
I Never really liked anything on the Master Buss. I always felt if you put it on too soon you rely on it too much almost as a crutch and if you subtract or add more compression it changes things too much. I also feel if you add it on halfway or later in your mix it changes things too much that you have already tweaked. If you compress properly throughout the tracks on your mix you don’t really need much on there I feel. Leave room for the mastering engineer too. When I used to mix on an SSL 4000g I did use the master comp slightly sometimes at the end to tighten some lows together, but I’d most often rather get my sounds off my mix.
Old 30th May 2019
  #880
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2 d3 e6 View Post
Ssl4k, focusrite red 3 rev a and a pair of pultec eqp1s3
Doin' it like CLA! Let me guess, the low band is on 70 and the high band is on 3k?
Old 30th May 2019
  #881
I haven't got it on there now but I plan to put my Daking FET 3 on the master bus to see what happens.
Old 30th May 2019
  #882
Lives for gear
 

Yowsers!
Seems some people have literally another Studio of Equipment hanging off that Master Buss!

Some Incredible Equipment used here! Crikey?
Old 30th May 2019
  #883
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Doin' it like CLA! Let me guess, the low band is on 70 and the high band is on 3k?
Yes though In- Out transformers or not on the Red?
Old 30th May 2019
  #884
Gear Addict
Less is...

Not putting much on these days, just a Dangerous BAX just to tidy up the very very low and high. Not even using any limiting or compression.

My Rupert Neve MBP was on my mix buss but to be really honest I did not like it there much. The RND MBP did not give me anything useful in the end. I wish I did like it!

The Thermionic Culture Vulture used very carefully in parallel if I need that vibe.

please tell me I am wrong about the RND MBP and that it is essential on my mix buss because...
Old 30th May 2019
  #885
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Freeland View Post

The Thermionic Culture Vulture used very carefully in parallel if I need that vibe.
Nice someone doing the same as me at times.
Old 31st May 2019
  #886
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by outraged View Post
Nice someone doing the same as me at times.
Sweet tone (cant describe) when not distorted in normal mode. Most of the time though its on my hi-hats and electric bass.

Still not feeling the RND MBP. I really wish I was, that thing is quite expensive to just sit there not doing anything. OK so I do use it on the mix buss just to see how my track will behave when I then use some limiting but I print without it.

Maybe I just need to try something different on the mix buss? Any suggestions?
A couple of Distressors is tempting.

The music I make and the mixing jobs mastering jobs are all diverse styles from indy rock modern country rock and pop to UK hardcore/breakcore/electronica

I think that because I have been concentrating on my monitoring and acoustics for the last few years I have less and less on my mix buss as I hear and mix better now. Just sounding better without it.
Used to love patching in a load of mixx buss stuff, but without thinking too much I just don't seem to do it much anymore. I saw this thread and thought wow what DO I put on my mixx buss these days. Not much.
Old 2nd June 2019
  #887
SRS
Lives for gear
 
SRS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Freeland View Post
Sweet tone (cant describe) when not distorted in normal mode. Most of the time though its on my hi-hats and electric bass.

Still not feeling the RND MBP. I really wish I was, that thing is quite expensive to just sit there not doing anything. OK so I do use it on the mix buss just to see how my track will behave when I then use some limiting but I print without it.

Maybe I just need to try something different on the mix buss? Any suggestions?
A couple of Distressors is tempting.

The music I make and the mixing jobs mastering jobs are all diverse styles from indy rock modern country rock and pop to UK hardcore/breakcore/electronica

I think that because I have been concentrating on my monitoring and acoustics for the last few years I have less and less on my mix buss as I hear and mix better now. Just sounding better without it.
Used to love patching in a load of mixx buss stuff, but without thinking too much I just don't seem to do it much anymore. I saw this thread and thought wow what DO I put on my mixx buss these days. Not much.
Interesting that you are not liking the RND MBP, I'd say that while Distressors are great units, I would most likely choose the MBP in pretty much most/all instances. You sure your unit is working properly? The older versions have a different Hi-Pass on them. You have that version or the newer one? Just curious.
Old 2nd June 2019
  #888
Lives for gear
 
Synth Buddha's Avatar
I change things around a bit, but right now it's LTL Silver Bullet, A Designs Hammer EQ and the Thermionic Culture Phoenix Master comp (anniversary edition). Other analog things that often go on the master bus here are the SSL G-Bus X-rack comp, API 2500, UBK Fatso and Kush Clariphonic MS.
Old 3rd June 2019
  #889
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
Interesting that you are not liking the RND MBP, I'd say that while Distressors are great units, I would most likely choose the MBP in pretty much most/all instances. You sure your unit is working properly? The older versions have a different Hi-Pass on them. You have that version or the newer one? Just curious.
Its the newer one. Its a great piece of kit. The limiter is crazy transparent etc. Just find it boring or something. Also probably also to do with the fact that I am really liking not having much at all on the mix buss at the moment. I honestly have to admit that my masters just sound better when the mix had almost no processing on the mix buss. It seems that I mix better and with more attention to detail without it.
The RND MBP is really intended for mastering but I can see myself needing it in a mix say on a lush piano part or anything needing a really transparent treatment.

Never used the blue or red silk in a mix or a master. Always I end up not using that after a/b.
I am not giving up on it. It will just get used differently I guess.
Old 3rd June 2019
  #890
Lives for gear
 
Seamus TM's Avatar
 

Overstayer MAS and ADR F601RST.
Old 4th June 2019
  #891
Gear Maniac
 
AudioKemestry's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Freeland View Post
Its the newer one. Its a great piece of kit. The limiter is crazy transparent etc. Just find it boring or something. Also probably also to do with the fact that I am really liking not having much at all on the mix buss at the moment. I honestly have to admit that my masters just sound better when the mix had almost no processing on the mix buss. It seems that I mix better and with more attention to detail without it.
The RND MBP is really intended for mastering but I can see myself needing it in a mix say on a lush piano part or anything needing a really transparent treatment.

Never used the blue or red silk in a mix or a master. Always I end up not using that after a/b.
I am not giving up on it. It will just get used differently I guess.
Haven't used the RND myself so I can't speak on it directly. However, I finally started acquiring, testing, and investing in some quality outboard gear for my mixing/mastering chain about a year ago (IGS Tubecore, Overstayer MAS, A-Design Hammer/Nail, Elysia Xfilter, BLA Am-Cha, Kush Electra, Phoenix Audio DRS-Q4, Avalon 747), and I finally starting to understand that (1) all that matters when it comes to gear is what works for you (not the hype), (2) learning your gear takes time, and (3) there is no single magical piece of gear. As you probably already know, the magic really comes from how different units interact with each other, and the order of gear in the signal chain (which can make a dramatic difference to the results). If you aren't digging the RND and you have already put it through all the paces, I say sell it and try something else (or nothing at all if that's what's working best). If you haven't really spent enough time with it though, maybe consider pairing it up with something else that can complement its sound or add a bit of tone/color and see what happens, e.g. running the RND into a Handsome Audio Zulu or running a Phoenix Audio DRS-Q4 into the RND. It might make all the difference in the world. Relentless experimentation is the key.
Old 4th June 2019
  #892
Lives for gear
 
Oldone's Avatar
This thread is all talk and no pictures. So instead of telling you about my MB chain I'll show you because I'm a visual guy.
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your master bus? (analog only please)-rack.jpg  
Old 4th June 2019
  #893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Freeland View Post
Sweet tone (cant describe) when not distorted in normal mode. Most of the time though its on my hi-hats and electric bass.

Still not feeling the RND MBP. I really wish I was, that thing is quite expensive to just sit there not doing anything. OK so I do use it on the mix buss just to see how my track will behave when I then use some limiting but I print without it.

Maybe I just need to try something different on the mix buss? Any suggestions?
A couple of Distressors is tempting.

The music I make and the mixing jobs mastering jobs are all diverse styles from indy rock modern country rock and pop to UK hardcore/breakcore/electronica

I think that because I have been concentrating on my monitoring and acoustics for the last few years I have less and less on my mix buss as I hear and mix better now. Just sounding better without it.
Used to love patching in a load of mixx buss stuff, but without thinking too much I just don't seem to do it much anymore. I saw this thread and thought wow what DO I put on my mixx buss these days. Not much.
I love the RND MBP II towards the end of my chain with some silk and width. It's a great sounding box. Distressors sound like poop to me and would be the last thing I'd use on a stereo bus.
POM's Fairchild, Chandler RS124's and the Vertigo VSC II are my other favourites. The Rockruepel limit one and the Overstayer M-A-S are great too, saves too much digital work.
Old 5th June 2019
  #894
Lives for gear
 
ARIEL's Avatar
Still using Wes Audios Dione and a Bettermaker 502P, both are amazing and the plug in control is incredible. I really dig the mix function on the wes audio Dione as I use it all the time at around 80% wet/dry. That makes a big difference in the sound I like to capture. If your unfamilair with them check it below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA2bgFkkNco
Old 5th June 2019
  #895
Lives for gear
 
andersmv's Avatar
 

Shameless plug as I'm selling it, but.... I've really enjoyed my HendyAmps Analog Stage, it's basically a tube console master section with big honking transformers. I've used it on the master buss for 2 projects now and it's been fantastic. I've found it works best as the first thing in the chain. It seems fairly subtle at first but once you follow it with a compressor and limiter, bypassing it just makes things sound boring. It has a great "smile" setting that subtly compresses the midrange and does some harmonic stuff to the higher frequencies, it's just fantastic and really helps bass instruments glue and sit into your mic better before hitting a buss compressor.

I've also used it a couple of times on the drum buss and vocals in the "Aggressive" setting. I had a drum track that just wasn't sounding mean enough and I really didn't want to throw something like a decapitator on it, the Analog Stage was great. Another time, I had some vocals that ended up being a little too bright and sibilant, so I used the high cut and slammed the Analog Stage to round off some of the nastiness. Worked better than any deesser!

It's a great and unique unit. I would love to keep using it, but it technically belongs to a friend of mine (We did some gear swapping for a bit) and now he wants to sell it. It was fun while it lasted!
Old 5th June 2019
  #896
Lives for gear
 

For my current project I have a GML 8200 followed by an ADT-audio TM222 Compressor on the master bus.
Old 7th June 2019
  #897
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Yes though In- Out transformers or not on the Red?
First version with stepped potis and different
Shapped knobs and yes transformers in out
Only part of the magic

And yes doing it like bob clearmountain

Cla who?
Old 7th June 2019
  #898
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2 d3 e6 View Post
First version with stepped potis and different
Shapped knobs and yes transformers in out
Only part of the magic

And yes doing it like bob clearmountain

Cla who?
What does that mean (doing it like Bob Clearmountain)? Setting-wise..?

I do have one as well.. It's really good indeed!


Thank you!


Cheu
Old 7th June 2019
  #899
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
What does that mean (doing it like Bob Clearmountain)? Setting-wise..?
I think that was a response to my post! His bus is an exact duplicate of CLA's famously known chain, along with the exact EQ points so I mentioned that he was "doin' it like CLA" as their busses are identical.

I think he's trying to imply that Bob Clearmountain was doing that before CLA was.
Old 8th June 2019
  #900
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I think that was a response to my post! His bus is an exact duplicate of CLA's famously known chain, along with the exact EQ points so I mentioned that he was "doin' it like CLA" as their busses are identical.

I think he's trying to imply that Bob Clearmountain was doing that before CLA was.
Ah..ok.. Thanks!
I don't even know what his settings are on the RED3.. I believe he doesn't have it on stereo mode.. Although would be interesting to know the reason behind his (Bob or CLA) choices on the settings..

Well, if I'm not wrong Bob was kind of a mentor for CLA right? So I'm not so surprised..

I've met CLA a couple of times..one of them here in Switzerland..
But I don't know him well, to be honest. So canmt say much, but was very friendly though.

I remember I saw an interview with him and Bob Clearmountain, Bob came across like a very humble guy, I liked him a lot in that interview.. CLA was definitely more "cocky" so to say..
I dunno if that is/was a part of a charachter he was playing or if he's like that..
When I met him was absolutely a cool dude..



Cheu
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump