The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's on your master bus? (analog only please)
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Don't underestimate the quality of vintage ****!
Jim, don't tell me you're using your vintage **** without upgrading it!?!
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Guru

You guys that are going back to DAW for master, how are you making a CD, I assume you are at 24 bit and what ever rate you are at 44.1 /48 etc.
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbo View Post
Plush,

Would you care to elaborate a bit more about the RND? I'm seriously looking at this piece.
This unit is part of the newer high voltage RND designs. These 70 volt designs offer huge headroom, and a beautiful tone helped, no doubt, by the wonderful custom Neve transformers.

The binding effect, the gluing, the thickness available without audible notice of compression is amazing. I have not heard any similar units that work this way without sounding like they are in the circuit.

The ability to dial in and blend the compressed sound with the original signal is very well implemented here. Routinely boosting 10dB here is inaudible.

Two different types of silk control sound quite different with one exciting the high freqs. and the other one diddling the low freqs. The sound juices on
itself from the excitement!

Modest use of the Width control is pleasant and effective.

I don't use the mid/side eq'ing functions but these are lavishly provided for the engineer who masters material that way.

All in all, a fantastic addition here that has a now essential function at our place. It is now used on everything.

Box is worth the asking price for sure. It is very special and sounds erotic.
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Kush Audio Clariphonic
Old 10th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitzHits View Post
I got a customized Master Buss Compressor from Regular John with all whistles and bells :-).

Regular John Recording - Raleigh, NC

Great guy and great gear.

The O
Me too!
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Kush Audio Clariphonic
Can't wait for mine to arrive
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

sometimes.... a pair of retro 176's
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
This unit is part of the newer high voltage RND designs. These 70 volt designs offer huge headroom, and a beautiful tone helped, no doubt, by the wonderful custom Neve transformers.

The binding effect, the gluing, the thickness available without audible notice of compression is amazing. I have not heard any similar units that work this way without sounding like they are in the circuit.

The ability to dial in and blend the compressed sound with the original signal is very well implemented here. Routinely boosting 10dB here is inaudible.

Two different types of silk control sound quite different with one exciting the high freqs. and the other one diddling the low freqs. The sound juices on

I don't use the mid/side eq'ing functions but these are lavishly provided for the engineer who masters material that way.

All in all, a fantastic addition here that has a now essential function at our place. It is now used on everything.

argh,
so keen for the RND MBP!
Glad you are liking it.
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
sometimes.... a pair of retro 176's
Great!
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Nut

Dramastic Audio Obsidian > CharterOak PEQ-1
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
Me too!
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Nut

Roll Music RMS755 Super Stereo Compressor->A-Designs Hammer->RND 5042 Tape Emulator
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Hmmm, a tape emulator?! I really considered buying that one but ended up with a Charisma...
Old 10th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
You guys that are going back to DAW for master, how are you making a CD, I assume you are at 24 bit and what ever rate you are at 44.1 /48 etc.
Back into DAW at 24/88.2. Then Wavelab to do final adjustments and dither, etc. for burning to CD.
Old 10th April 2012
Here for the gear

670. Fairchild 670.
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Finch View Post
670. Fairchild 670.
UAD or Waves?
Wait...T-Racks?

Old 10th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magucci View Post
UAD or Waves?
Wait...T-Racks?
have they released analog versions?
Old 10th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikdrink View Post
Hmmm, a tape emulator?! I really considered buying that one but ended up with a Charisma...
So, mabye I should patch in my Charisma ones more...

On my mixbus right now, API 527 in Adesign 500HR (huge differens in sound from the lunchbox) to the TG 12413(ZenerLimiter) to the TG 12345(Curvebender Half db-mod) Crane Song HEDD for both AD and DA
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Some or none of the following:

Daking Fet IIs
API 2500
A designs Hammer
API 5500
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post

Not sure how "erotic" sounds, but I don't get overly turned on from my MBP. It seems to work well, but at extreme settings I can't use it due to distortion. At moderate settings it sounds nice, but then the effect is moderate too. I have to agree though that the compressor operates practically inaudible, which makes it a true mastering compressor. Silk buttons are probably nice for some kinds of rock music, but they destroy a good acoustical recording. I like the width and depth options for the first 30 degrees of knob rotation. Beyond that the sound gets harsh and ugly. What I really hate about the MBP is the bad printing on the face plate. Knob detents are never where the indices on the scales are. You never know what you have been setting it to exactly. You also have to depress the power button very deep before it will click into the permanent ON mode. And the box runs extremely hot.
Old 11th April 2012
2bus

A Designs Nail > A Designs EM PEQ (2) > Clariphonic
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlofBerggren View Post
So, mabye I should patch in my Charisma ones more...

On my mixbus right now, API 527 in Adesign 500HR (huge differens in sound from the lunchbox) to the TG 12413(ZenerLimiter) to the TG 12345(Curvebender Half db-mod) Crane Song HEDD for both AD and DA
Maybe
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

16 DA channels > Vac Rac Mix690 summing mixer > Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor > Anamod ATS1 > Dangerous BAX eq > back to Burl B2

Old 11th April 2012
Here for the gear

At the moment Chandler Germanium comps.
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOHAMI View Post
Dangerous BAX eq
I think this will be my next purchase!
Old 11th April 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Finch View Post
670. Fairchild 670.
Drums sure!
Vocals Yep.
2 buss - never...
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Manley Massivo- sometimes w/o transformer
TubeTech SM2B- as soon as it arrives back from the shop...
Thermionic Culture Phoenix mastering comp

Maybe/depends for all of the above.

Curious about the RND and the Clairphonic units.
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikdrink View Post
I think this will be my next purchase!
I'm looking at this right now too...
Old 12th April 2012
Right before I quit doing things professionally:

Dramastic Audio Obsidian
Chandler Curve Bender

Sometimes stereo linked 2254's if they were around and it was the right song.
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

A Designs Hammer
A Designs EM-PEQ
Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search