The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
24 channels ADDA (affordable) ?.....
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Head

24 channels ADDA (affordable) ?.....

so at the moment i am running a Motu 2408 MK3 and a Motu 24 i/o.........am underwhelmed mostly by these boxes.......have done some A/B tests with a Mytek Stereo96 ADC........i mix through an old Neotek Series 1.......so in the test i ran the same mix through 2 channels on the Motu 2408, and then through the Mytek....night and day.......the Mytek mix was much easier on the ears......more precision and detail.....you know the drill...............so this leads me to believe i would be much better off with Mytek conversion.......
........and here is what i need.........a decent 24 channel digital system........losing the Motu's and replacing them with something else......i mix entirely out of the box.......run everything through great mics and pres........running a G5 with Digital Performer.......what if i were to get 3 Mytek 8x96 ADDA's?........what options do i have to get that audio from the Myteks into my G5?.......and is this even the wisest approach......i cannot afford a RADAR system or Protools HD system but still want to make a jump higher in quality from my current MOTU setup.......any suggestions?........
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

I am running an RME Fireface (8 analog in, 8 analog out) with a Tango24 (8 analog in, 8 analog out) total 16 ios...although not Myteks, it hangs pretty well with the much higher priced stuff...adding another Tango will give me a full compliment of 24 (sidebar: the Tango, to my ears, sounds a WHOLE lot better than you would think...clocked off the Fireface, its a wonderful unit, and they dod pop up for sale here often...)

I would think the next step up would require a revamp...one Lynx Aurora 16 and one Aurora 8 with an RME AES card will give you 24 great I/O...at the higher sampling rates if desired...

You could also look into using an Alesis HD24 with the upgraded convertor card (search for the Jim Williams mods for details)...this would give you the option of running really good ADDA and having the an automatic HD backup.

If you wish, you could upgrade your MOTU with a pair of their HD192...I think anyway you look at it, you are gonna spend come cash to significantly upgrade...I looked at all the options, and the RME/Tango route met the price/benefit route for me at the time (although I am strongly drifting to the Lynx stuff for the next upgrade)
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

best value solution, bang for buck like, RME Fireface 800 and Lynx Aurora 16.

that gives you 26 channels of analog i/o, but only up to 48K/24.

maybe clock both with an isochrone, big ben or whatever to squeeze the very best you can out of these great converters.

its not quite a rack of lavry, mytek, prism, etc. but will be very damn good, very portable (the whole thing via one firewire cable and RMEs superbly stable drivers) and you get Totalmix and Digicheck.

if you want to go upwards from this i'm not the right person to advise you.

regards,

richie.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

It may be worth looking into picking up a second hand Radar and get an RME 9652 HDSP for the Adat ports in the computer.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

+1 on a Used Radar 24 system.

there is your 24 in/out
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

HOW much for a used Radar and what Radar? Thanks!
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim light
HOW much for a used Radar and what Radar? Thanks!

iZ Technologies' Home Page
Mercenary's iZ Technologies' RADAR Page
Old 23rd May 2006
gem
Gear Maniac

i was in the same boat when i discovered
SOUNDSCAPE box.
i use it with cubase sx. it's called iBox 48-TA.

best for the money and overall sound and support.

cheers
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

You could get a pair of 24 channel Euphonix converters (one analog to MADI and one MADI to analog) and an RME DSP MADI card. Very simple setup.

Disclaimer - I work for Euphonix, but not in any kind of sales capacity. This suggestion is just FYI in case you weren't aware of the option.

DP
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gem
i was in the same boat when i discovered
SOUNDSCAPE box.
i use it with cubase sx. it's called iBox 48-TA.

best for the money and overall sound and support.
Another vote!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search