The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blue Bottle or other high end Mic
Old 5th April 2012
Here for the gear

Blue Bottle or other high end Mic

So looking to purchase 1 more high end mic for the studio
considering

1. Blue Bottle w/ all capsules

2. Telefunken U47

3. Neumann M149

or if you have any other suggestions definitely would be interested in everyone's input
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

The Bottle is the most flexible and "clearest" microphone I have ever used. That includes all the other great vintage microphones.

To me it is the highest quality microphone ever built.
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Another happy blue bottle owner here. Consider if you really need all the capsules. If you're just using it as a vocal mic the B6, B7, and B0 cover a lot of ground (B8 works well, too).

If you do get the blue, look around for a used botttle rocket stage II (or whatever they're calling the solid state mic that can take the same capsules) - I spent $550 on mine with a b8 capsule and know I can use it with the other capsules as well.
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Just to clarify... The Stage 1 rocket is the solid state version
The Stage 2 rocket is the tube one.
Old 6th April 2012
Jai guru deva om

We did one dedicated Clipalator session with the BLUE Bottle and every single capsule they make, all swapped out and tracked on the same sources all in a row to give you a good idea of their differences. I also agree there are standouts to consider, and a few Bottle Caps to ignore.

The B0, B4 (omni), B6 (included with the Bottle) and B7 are the must haves in my experience.

War
Old 6th April 2012
Personally, having used the Blue Bottle some, with access to all the capsules, I really don't like the mic, or any of the capsules I tried with it. It did nothing for me and I tried to use the thing for months and months. In the OP's list of choices, [without getting into the "Telefunken U47"] I much prefer the Neumann M149 to the Blue Bottle. It follows my preference for a higher fidelity sound and more "3D" depth of image. It is clearer, and has more significant fullness, more open high end, faster transient action, and most importantly more balanced & even tonal response.
Old 6th April 2012
Jai guru deva om

The varied tonal response of 9 different capsules is a key feature of the BLUE Bottle though, not a more balanced and even approach of one capsule but the ability to match the cap to the source (and being able to hot-swap the capsules instantly).

War
Old 6th April 2012
Here for the gear

Do you know where I can listen to the shootout sessions/ Would love to hear all the different capsules.
Old 6th April 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
Another happy blue bottle owner here. Consider if you really need all the capsules. If you're just using it as a vocal mic the B6, B7, and B0 cover a lot of ground (B8 works well, too).

If you do get the blue, look around for a used botttle rocket stage II (or whatever they're calling the solid state mic that can take the same capsules) - I spent $550 on mine with a b8 capsule and know I can use it with the other capsules as well.

I use a spark and think it's amazing for the money. Does the blue bottle sound even better? or does it just offer different tones?

Go Blue!!!
Old 6th April 2012
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battie4 View Post
Do you know where I can listen to the shootout sessions/ Would love to hear all the different capsules.
Here is our Clipalator:

Clipalator: Audio and Video | Studio Gear Shootouts @ ZenProAudio.com

We also have the BLUE Bottle Rocket Stage 1 and 2 with the more popular caps swapped out, although it was a different session though.

War
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

I tried the blue Bottle for awhile and didn't think it took me to a higher level. In my own investigation of high end mics I ended up liking the new Telefunken U47/48, the Wunder M49 clone (whatever it's called) and the Flea 47. I ended up with the Flea, which is a real game changer for me, but the other two would have also been extremely sweet. (there are a lot of mics I didn't try, obviously, so no diss against anyone else)

Ultimately you know you gotta try stuff for yourself.

-R
Old 6th April 2012
For better or worse, IMHO, BLUE has been the most exciting manufacturer of new microphones to come along in a very long time.

I have the bottle with selected capsules and the cactus on my list as future additions.
Old 6th April 2012
Jai guru deva om

That Cactus is actually a big standout in character mics, thick and dark and smooth...with BALLS.

War
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

I own a pair of Cacti, and I love them. Very cool mics. They are the nicest mics I own.
Old 7th April 2012
Gear Maniac

What is your budget man?
Old 8th April 2012
Here for the gear

We use the Blue Bottle exclusively for vocals. We've had the B6 and the B7 capsules for two years but find the B7 is the one that fits our sound the best.
Old 8th April 2012
I have a pair of Blue Bottles that I really dig. B6 capsule is great for overheads, vocals, etc. A good all-arounder. B7 doesn't really do it for me. B0 is cool for hyped vox. B4 is killer for room mics.

We also have a Telefunken U48. I've only had this for a few weeks, but it's kicking serious ass. Mono drum room (in front of kit and behind kit, both sound great), acoustic guitar, and of course, vox. As a vocal mic, I prefer it to the vintage 47 we had. Also, the figure-8 pattern is waaaay more useful than the 47's omni pattern, IMO.

The M149 is nice, but I'd take either the Bottle or the Telefunken over it.

If you want a thicker, vintage vocal sound, the Telefunken is tough to beat. If you want something more modern sounding, and with greater variety, the Bottle is a no-brainer.
Old 13th April 2012
Gear Nut

I have the blue bottle with B4,B5,B6,B7 caps. B5 sucks, too bright to use for an ambient source...avoid that one! If you do buy caps, I'd say B6 and B4 based on what I've used, maybe B7.

If you are going to spend that kind of money, even for a used one, I would say to go for the FLEA mics instead.

I have the FLEA 47, and FLEA 12. Ever since I got those mics, I've only pulled the bottle out maybe 4 or 5 times.

The Bottle's B7 cap is supposed to sound like a 47, I read a review claiming that it sounds exaclty the same, but I found that not to be true at all. The FLEA 47 is much much more close to a 47, it has "the sound".

The B6 I've heard being described as a "67 on steroids", it sounds cool, but generally every time I track vocals I go for the FLEAs. It's definitely good for modern pop vocals if that's the sound you want, but based on your list it sounds like you want the more vintage tones.

The Bottle with B4 is a good ambient source, but again, I would prefer to use the 12 for such instances. The B4 captures the ambience well, but the 12 has a "focused" sound... I did a shootout comparing the mics in that capacity. I'll link it below.

I know the bottle looks cool, it's huge and pretty, but honestly if I was in a bind and needed to sell one of my "flagship" mics, that would be the one to sell. I know my studio partner thinks the same thing, and keeps asking me to sell the bottle to get a 2nd FLEA 12... haha. But man the bottle looks cool.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-...oyer-kiwi.html
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMiller View Post
The Bottle is the most flexible and "clearest" microphone I have ever used. That includes all the other great vintage microphones.

To me it is the highest quality microphone ever built.
I totally agree. I have a friend that bought one last year with 3 additional capsules. It blew me away, he had to put more sheet rock in the booth because it's so sensitive.
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Others worth considering (alphabetically):

Brauner (any of the VM's)
FleA 47
Josephson (any of the 700 series)
Manley (Gold or Black)
Sony C800g
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

I am currently selling 2x B4 and 1x B0 capsules in good condition, tested and working. Here: Blue Bottle Capsules: 2x B4, 1x B0, fit CMV 563 etc.

Let me know if you're interested.

Best,
Rumi
Old 20th November 2012
Gear Nut

And we are selling one of our blue bottle's with the B6 Capsule.
PM me for details etc.
Old 1st December 2012
Gear Nut

I'm taking my own advice and selling my bottle to get the 2nd FLEA 12... sad to see it go, but if anyone wants PM me, I'm making a listing on it right now.
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

Just thought I'd update my opinion on the Blue Bottle. Loved it when I got it (stock), love having a few capsules to swap and never felt the need to keep searching for a different mic.

All the same, because I'm a tweaker, I recently replaced the stock tube with a NOS Telefunken EF86 (cost me about $150) and, while it's not a whole new mic, it definitely kicked it up a notch.

So, if you don't like it, I'm not saying that a new tube will make you love it but if you already like/love it, the NOS tube is well worth the cost. Or you can leave well enough alone but, in this game of inches we play, once I heard the Telefunken there was no going back.
Old 7th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
Just thought I'd update my opinion on the Blue Bottle. Loved it when I got it (stock), love having a few capsules to swap and never felt the need to keep searching for a different mic.

All the same, because I'm a tweaker, I recently replaced the stock tube with a NOS Telefunken EF86 (cost me about $150) and, while it's not a whole new mic, it definitely kicked it up a notch.

So, if you don't like it, I'm not saying that a new tube will make you love it but if you already like/love it, the NOS tube is well worth the cost. Or you can leave well enough alone but, in this game of inches we play, once I heard the Telefunken there was no going back.
What did the new tube do for you?
Did it make it warmer, did it changed how the sibilances sound?

I'm curious to hear about it.
Old 7th June 2014
Gear Addict
Manley Reference Gold...superb mic.

Tom
Old 7th June 2014
Lives for gear

My vote is for "other high end mic". If your willing to spend the dollars for a bottle, I believe I'd recommend digging around for a vintage mic that's in top shape.

Or one of the quality 47 or C12 copies would be a good move as well.

Good luck.
Old 7th June 2014
Lives for gear

I've used the Blue Bottle with the B6 capsule for most of my vocal recordings. It will give you an extremely clear, detailed sound. Will it sound as good as a good-condition C12 or 47? Probably not.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search