The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mega dry but processed Vox?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Mega dry but processed Vox?

I keep hearing a sound, often on "highly produced" records with a vocal that sounds like it's dry, but on closer listening, has something going on. Or more than one something.

I've tried all the tricks i know/can .. short to very short delays (mono and stereo), very short plates/rooms, ambience programs, harmonise/pitch shift etc. etc. .. but just can't get THAT sound without adding something that's more intrusive than what I want or what i hear.

???

Thanks
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

how far is your vocalist from microphone? also if you try a very short verb with a HF rolloff of 2k and a 250 bump you get a fat in your face with some "air" sound
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Perhaps it's compression that you are hearing (or dynamic manipulation in general)?? Done well it can be quite subtle.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Are you sure you are not just hearing a double tracked vocal? When performed and mixed well it's tough to hear other than the modulation between the two tracks.

Maybe if you indicated what you are listening to?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

The secret is automation...delays only on certain words, reverb swells only when needed, everything needs to flow. Add a little micropitch maybe a nice predelay on the reverb...
also, listen on a set of small speakers and make sure it sounds bone dry, then crank it a bit more on some hi-fi speakers and make sure you can hear the ambience...you should be pretty close. It's trial and error each time and requires some tweaking to get it all to sit right. This is the trick which makes stuff sound like a pro pop mix.
-Brian

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search