The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Snap Crackle and Pops in my Speakers
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Snap Crackle and Pops in my Speakers

I hope I'm not putting this in the wrong forum, but since the high end guys seem to know a lot, I'm putting it here.

I'm running a studio, in a commercial building and every once in a while I'm getting pops and what sounds like morse code coming through my speakers, I have two sets of nearfields and one set of "PA" speakers on the other side of the control for just playback. These two sets of speakers are on two different power switches in the room, and they are hooked up to UPS's but no voltage conditioners or regulators.

I can hear these pops and clicks and sometimes zaps with everything off exept the power amp and the PA, which is self powered, so I don't think it's a bad cable, because it happens even with the mixer disconnected to the amp.

Does this sound like a bad power issue? And if so, what is a good power conditioner that I would find down at the local Guitar Center?

Thanks,

BaseJase
Illynoise
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Damn those Kelloggs Rice Crispies ...

Sounds like a bad ground issue to me - I don't think power conditioning would help, if it still connects to the same electrical ground.

Do you know where your ground spike is? Maybe water it the ground has dried out.

In a lot of buildings, the electrical ground is a joke. While it may be safe enough to stop you getting zapped, it may not be good enough for audio.

The problem is - if you add your own excellent ground spike, and still connect to the electrical ground, you might end up having the best ground in the neigbourhood, and attract everyone elses crap your way. I've experiened this.

My solution was to have a dedicated isolated ground spike for my studio.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search