The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RADAR 24 + DAW
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Addict

RADAR 24 + DAW

Hi guys,

I am moving to a DAW based setup and your suggestions are most welcome.My RADAR with Nyquist converters currently has the AES card and so the output is going to be AES(24 channels).

My choices are

Lynx Studio Technology: AES16
RME AES-32
Combination of RME ADI-6432 and madi card (expensive,least preferred option)

-are there any more options available?
-is this setup expandable to say 32 channels of i/o in the future
-will i be able to use the RADAR clock as the master in case I decide to add 8 more channels of A/D conversion(LYnx or apogee most likely).

Regarding s/w I really like the editing functions in Protools but I dont like the way DIgi is holding their customers captive with their hardware.I dont have the green to go for a HD system.Also with 002R there arent enough i/os to use all of RADAR's conversion.So presently I trying out Cubase and Logic.
All your suggestions and thoughts are welcome
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

apogee symphony
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

I have experience with the AES16 and it is a very good card and would do what you need it to, but you would need to install two of them to get 24 channels at the same time. I also looked at the RME, and while I have had experience with the ADAT cards in the past and have always had great success with them, I think that the Lynx is the better choice. This is simply because that with the RME card, you would also need two of them to get up to 24 i/o, and since the AES32 uses two cards stacked on top of each other it looks like it would take up 4 PCI slots as opposed to 2 for the Lynx. Now the RME doesn't USE all four slots, but if you look it looks like it takes up fours slots worth of space, which is kind of bummer in my opinion. I cannot comment on the functionality of the RME vs the Lynx, but having used the Lynx/Logic 7 combo I have never needed it to do something that it couldn't do.

Good luck with your choice!!

P.S. - the only other option that I could think of is that you can record to the RADAR and then just do a file transfer to the DAW via ethernet, and mix and edit from there. You'd still need a dac or a monitor contoller though...
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

I run my Radar 24 with an RME Digiface into Nuendo and works like a dream.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Addict

My Radar 24 goes TDIF into a PT 192 Digital. If I understand it right, you're going straight into the computer without an interface. Sonically it shouldn't make a difference which you choose, because it will be a straight D/D transfer...right? It's the Radar conversion that makes this a great setup no matter what you choose on that end.

(I didn't have a lot to contribute to the topic...I just wanted to add to the Radar love)
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgator
apogee symphony
txgator-I am currently leaning towards a pc solution..but again the logic + symphony seems to be a good match

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus
I have experience with the AES16 and it is a very good card and would do what you need it to, but you would need to install two of them to get 24 channels at the same time. I also looked at the RME, and while I have had experience with the ADAT cards in the past and have always had great success with them, I think that the Lynx is the better choice. This is simply because that with the RME card, you would also need two of them to get up to 24 i/o, and since the AES32 uses two cards stacked on top of each other it looks like it would take up 4 PCI slots as opposed to 2 for the Lynx. Now the RME doesn't USE all four slots, but if you look it looks like it takes up fours slots worth of space, which is kind of bummer in my opinion. I cannot comment on the functionality of the RME vs the Lynx, but having used the Lynx/Logic 7 combo I have never needed it to do something that it couldn't do.

Good luck with your choice!!

P.S. - the only other option that I could think of is that you can record to the RADAR and then just do a file transfer to the DAW via ethernet, and mix and edit from there. You'd still need a dac or a monitor contoller though...
thanks for your insight David.I have a friend who uses your products and is very satisfied.
Yeah..I too observed that the RME card seems to use 2 spaces.I dont know what the function of the 2 bnc terminals in that card.I am definitely leaning towards the Lynx card
While recording to RADAR and then transferring the files,the workflow is not so smooth as I would like to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubehead
I run my Radar 24 with an RME Digiface into Nuendo and works like a dream.
tubehead,I have aes out and so I cant use the Digiface

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelbin
My Radar 24 goes TDIF into a PT 192 Digital. If I understand it right, you're going straight into the computer without an interface. Sonically it shouldn't make a difference which you choose, because it will be a straight D/D transfer...right? It's the Radar conversion that makes this a great setup no matter what you choose on that end.

(I didn't have a lot to contribute to the topic...I just wanted to add to the Radar love)
Phelbin thanks for the RADAR love.I like the converters.Yes it is a D/D transfer. I think sonically it shouldnt matter but I was thinking about a scenario where I add 8 more channels of non-RADAR DA.How can I ensure that the signals are locked in?
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

I am pretty sure the symphony is only for apogee hardware

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search