The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API A2D Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

API A2D

SO has anybody heard this thing yet? What's the scoop? How are the converters?
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

bump

Anyone? I am also interested
Old 25th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by I <3 The Beatle
bump

Anyone? I am also interested
It gets the thumbsup from me..
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Well I just ordered mine, but I can't help you because I won't be seeing it for at least two weeks. My supplier said if I don't like it I can swap it for a lunch box and 2 x 512C mic pre's. I'm sure the A2D will suite me just fine even if I don't use the AD converter. I just want a rack without an external power supply hanging off it for a change.

Nick
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aearth
Well I just ordered mine, but I can't help you because I won't be seeing it for at least two weeks. My supplier said if I don't like it I can swap it for a lunch box and 2 x 512C mic pre's. I'm sure the A2D will suite me just fine even if I don't use the AD converter. I just want a rack without an external power supply hanging off it for a change.

Nick

well we all know the pre;s are great so give us your opinion on the converters when you get it
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
It gets the thumbsup from me..
Tony, I'm not sure I understand right... that TRS input to the D/A... could you theoretically patch a different pre into that jack, bypassing the 312s? Or is it one of those in and out loopy insert dealies? (How's that for the technical description?)

Can you describe the converter at all? Does it beat, say, my Digi 96 i/o's converters?

Thanks,
stick
Old 27th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick
Tony, I'm not sure I understand right... that TRS input to the D/A... could you theoretically patch a different pre into that jack, bypassing the 312s? Or is it one of those in and out loopy insert dealies? (How's that for the technical description?)
You are correct with the above statement... although it would actually be an A/D, not D/A..

Quote:
Can you describe the converter at all? Does it beat, say, my Digi 96 i/o's converters?
The converter is great if you ask me... I gave up on comparing converters a long time ago, as it is just so subjective. I personally think it's as good as something like an Apogee or Lynx... but, I wouldn't expect it to sound exactly like an Apogee or Lynx.... on the same level but different.

Hope that makes sense....
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are correct with the above statement... although it would actually be an A/D, not D/A..

The converter is great if you ask me... I gave up on comparing converters a long time ago, as it is just so subjective. I personally think it's as good as something like an Apogee or Lynx... but, I wouldn't expect it to sound exactly like an Apogee or Lynx.... on the same level but different.

Hope that makes sense....
Yeah, A/D... doh.

So, wait, which is correct? You can patch in anything? Cause that would be really cool to kill two birds with one stone... a pair of 312s and a pair of good converters and not be forced to use either, depending on the application.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

How about slaving the unit. Is it only possible to slave it using superclock? That would make it impossible to use for Lynx AES16 users like me.

Kinds regards,

Harrie
Old 27th May 2006
Here for the gear

Hi, I am curious as well about the quality and stability of the A2D word clock generator. How it compares to a Mytek or Big Ben.

Thanks
Old 27th May 2006

Quote:
Yeah, A/D... doh.

So, wait, which is correct? You can patch in anything? Cause that would be really cool to kill two birds with one stone... a pair of 312s and a pair of good converters and not be forced to use either, depending on the application.
Yes, you can patch anything in... Here's a pic of the back:

You have a seperate out for the preamp, and then a balanced TRS A/D input.
Old 27th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froombosch
How about slaving the unit. Is it only possible to slave it using superclock? That would make it impossible to use for Lynx AES16 users like me.

Kinds regards,

Harrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunisolar
Hi, I am curious as well about the quality and stability of the A2D word clock generator. How it compares to a Mytek or Big Ben.

Thanks
A coaxial BNC accepts external "Super Clock" which will illuminate the front panel EXT SYNC LED when locked. Here's the connections for that.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

So any further reports on the sound of these converters?
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Addict

I'd also be interested to hear more reports!

I am shocked that there isn't a TON of hype about this thing on this board right now.

API, you must be good people! thumbsup Thanks for not spamming us with glowing reviews of your own product (as I suspect a few manufacturers of doing..)

Rock rock on.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

I'd sincerely appreciate a link to the best deal you guys have on this box..
thanx,
Old 7th June 2006
More cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
So any further reports on the sound of these converters?

bump--any more opinions/comparrisons yet? are these readily in stock?
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, you can patch anything in... Here's a pic of the back:

You have a seperate out for the preamp, and then a balanced TRS A/D input.

So T, is it an extra pair of inputs or is it a patch point that can be used like an input to the A/D.......... 4 inputs(api + Ext.) or just 2 inputs(api only, api combined with Ext, or Ext. only)
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Addict

Gentleman, spill the beans! Is this thing the sh*t or what??
Old 9th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic
So T, is it an extra pair of inputs or is it a patch point that can be used like an input to the A/D.......... 4 inputs(api + Ext.) or just 2 inputs(api only, api combined with Ext, or Ext. only)
I guess you could say it's a patch point that can be used as an input to the A2D (2 in's)...
Old 9th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by I <3 The Beatle
Gentleman, spill the beans! Is this thing the sh*t or what??
There are still only a handful of people who have them... they are heavily backordered and only have a couple units being shipped at a time.

But, yes this thing is the sh!t...
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
There are still only a handful of people who have them... they are heavily backordered and only have a couple units being shipped at a time.

But, yes this thing is the sh!t...
Ehh Tony..you're killing me. My Visa really wants to come out.

I really did want a pair of Germaniums....but that A/D would be nice. The life of a slut...
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy
The slut thing to do would be to get the Germaniums and the A2D

I had Mercenary send me both the Germanium and the A2D I ended up keeping the A2D but the Germanium is probably next on my list

Well I ended getting 2 x Germanium and the A2D (API on order, still waiting)

Nick
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Head

forgive the noobness of this question...but i have a fireface and a rosetta200 synced with BNC wordclock. The A2D specifies that it accepts Superclock. I tried researching this, but i still do not know if the A2D will be able to slave to the Rosetta through normal BNC wordclock...If it can't, then i can't get the unit (please say it can).

Also, still waiting on how the converters sound....anybody?
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Bad word choice

The choice of the word Superclock was probably not the correct one in this case. It was not intended to refer to any manufacturer's specific device or technique, but rather to the use of a stable external clock reference that produces the standardized clock frequencies. (kind of like saying Kleenex) Any or all of the available external clocks should work just fine with the A2D - in fact WE use the Rosetta 800 here to check all the outputs of all A2D's as they go through test.

As far as commenting on the sound of the converters ..... we are much too biased to provide useful comment as we designed them to be our best effort. You will just have to wait for other G/S'ers to comment.... or wait for the A2D review in July EQ.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

We have a demo unit here in Miami...any Slutz wanna borrow it and let us know??
Old 14th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS
We have a demo unit here in Miami...any Slutz wanna borrow it and let us know??
Same here... so between me and Mike you folks should be able to try one for yourselves.
Old 14th June 2006
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez...
As far as commenting on the sound of the converters ..... we are much too biased to provide useful comment as we designed them to be our best effort. You will just have to wait for other G/S'ers to comment.... or wait for the A2D review in July EQ.
Thank you for not kicking up a cloud of hype over the A2D, as you could have easily done. I already respected API as a company, but now I do even more.

thumbsup

I hope other manufacturers (and gearpimps) can learn how to take the high road from reading that.
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Head

API GUYS,

thanks for your clarification on the clock issue. and thanks for your neutrality on the thread. NOW WHO WANTS TO REVIEW THIS THING!!!
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear
Does the Api have its own clock to if yes how is it? I use a ROland vm mixer i would try to use the clock from the A2d to the roland. Or i use the roland clock.
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear
Can anybody tell me if there is a clock in the converters. And how good is it?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search