The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API A2D Audio Interfaces
Old 16th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Curious, when do you guys going into masterlink from a2d dither? or do you?
4what?... basically thatz what the ML is for...
Old 17th July 2009
Gear Addict

Newbie questions here:

How do the A2D Preamps compare with API 512C's?

How would you compare the sound of the A2D preamps (312's) to a Great River ME-1NV?

If I get an A2D, can I interface it via Apogee Duet into my MAC/Logic Pro? Would I just run the line outs from the A2D into the Line Inputs on the Duet at +4dBu Line in? That simple?

If I get an A2D, can my Apogee Duet serve as the D/A?

Just wondering what would serve me better? A pair of API 512's or the A2D?

Thanks!
Old 18th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS View Post
4what?... basically thatz what the ML is for...

Sorry, I clearly just don't get the whole dithering thing.
Some say it's important when going to 16 bit, others seem to question it.

But... does the Masterlink somehow take care of that for you when you go in digitaly?
Thanks man.
Old 18th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
But... does the Masterlink somehow take care of that for you when you go in digitaly?
Thanks man.
Yeahppp... But most of the time I only burn a 24bit disk from there for mastering but if u need a regular disc, its burn a Redbook CD...
Old 18th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Newbie questions here:

How do the A2D Preamps compare with API 512C's?
I've never heard a differnce between 312's and 512c's. API preamps are API preamps. Some people talk differences yadda, yadda, blee, blee.....I still use them both for the same stuff and get the same results. They are API pres.

Quote:
How would you compare the sound of the A2D preamps (312's) to a Great River ME-1NV?
I wouldn't, but I can understand the concept of comparisons. The Great River is more intimate sounding, has more possibilites for tone/transformer saturation because of the input and output ratios that can be had. The DI input hits the input transfomer, and is perfected for pickup instruments. API DI input's are the ballz for drum machines/synth/and any low output keyboard.

Quote:
If I get an A2D, can I interface it via Apogee Duet into my MAC/Logic Pro? Would I just run the line outs from the A2D into the Line Inputs on the Duet at +4dBu Line in? That simple? If I get an A2D, can my Apogee Duet serve as the D/A?

Just wondering what would serve me better? A pair of API 512's or the A2D?

Thanks!
You would only be able to patch the line outputs into the Duet. Since the Duet has no SPDIF or AES link, you can't use its AD converters with the Duet. If I were you, and I'm not, I would be looking a hard at a 5006B and a pair of 512's.
Old 18th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS View Post
Yeahppp... But most of the time I only burn a 24bit disk from there for mastering but if u need a regular disc, its burn a Redbook CD...
cool.
Old 8th August 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncskolrud View Post
lost-when-it-comes-to-digital-stuff,
but-im-thinking-the-a2d-is-exactly-what-i-need....

im-wondering-if-used-in-conjunction-with-my-black-lion-sig-series
modded-002,
recording-at-88.2,-could-i-now-have-10-channels-for
recording-at-one-time?????????

using-the-a2d-to-convert-those-2-channels-and-the-002-to-take-care
of-the-other-8-if-using-the-spdif-for-the-a2d?????

would-this-work?????
im-under-the-impression-that-002-only-provides-10=channells-max-at-88.2,
but-you-can-get-18-if-you-use-adat-at-44.1...
????????
I had a 002 and an A2D. You can get 18 channels at 44.1 and 10 channels at 96.
A2D is a nice piece of gear.
Old 18th August 2009
Lives for gear

API Headroom unsurpassed discovery

New discovery on my mixdown chain. MAX out the API A2D with the Pad IN...

Normal chain: Orpheus & Aphex 141 >> folcrom >> API A2D make up gain >> TC BC-1 >> A Designs Hammer >> Presonus Central Station D/A >> JBL monitors...getting levels through chain somewhat tricky

New Chain:

Orpheus & Aphex 141 >> folcrom >> API A2D make up gain >> TC BC-1 >> A designs ATTY >> A Designs Hammer >> Presonus Central Station D/A >> JBL monitors...

with the new chain (ATTY passive attenuator before the Hammer) I can run the API FULL OUT (both gain knobs all the way up) with the pad IN...the mic pre output meters are easily hitting +24 and the opamp and tranformers MUST be working HARD cause the sound is clear and round and punchy and happenin' like never before!

The TK BC-1 handles these levels!!! Amazing!

Then the ATTY is where I adjust my gain...the ATTY is right before the HAMMER which hits the API A/D section (keep the API A/D input attenuators MAXED in this case as that is where they are factory callibrated to be equal)...

What a great sound. Even when I bypass the TK and Hammer the API run like this is astounding. This is what I was missing. ALL Equipment MUST have infinite headroom!

Before I was limited to hitting about +14 or so 'cause the Hammer input, sweet as it is, objects to being driven HARD. The ATTY is an AWESOME accessory (so is the orpheus).

holy crap awesome

Last edited by once a roadie; 18th August 2009 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: excitement
Old 30th October 2009
Lives for gear

Curious as to how the A2D sounds as a DI (electric bass, primarily).

Any real world experience here shared would be appreciated

cdlt
Old 30th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil View Post

Any real world experience here shared would be appreciated

cdlt
i like the di a lot. i use it for guitar and bass and more ...
i think the di of the a2d is hitting the opamps, so it sounds api good.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear
i really think i'm going to buy this unit next month to go with my digi 002 console running spdif after doing a LOT of research for a great converter and pres.

i really wanted the rosetta 200 but then i would have to get a mackie big knob and some pres which would be a lot of money to get great pres to match the api pres. i'm guessing the rosetta 200 with a pair of presonus pres for 200-300 or black lion audio dual pre for 500 wouldn't be as good as this unit. i know the preamps are solid as you can get but i'm still on the wall about the a/d conversion and how it compares to the rosetta 200 and 800 as a lot of people seem to be using those for a lot of conversion.

i was planning on buying the api a2d and then getting a benchmark dac-1 or a apogee dac mini later down the line. from what i've read it sounds like the clocking from the a2d makes a big difference on the whole digi002 unit itself and the d/a on the digi002 will fair well with api a2d till i can get my hands on a new d/a.

i've looked around a lot but can anyone give a non bias comment direct comparison between the rosetta 200 conversion and the api a2d a/d conversion? for now this is about the only thing holding me back from pulling out the credit card lol.
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Head

the api's are virtually transparent if you go straight in via the inserts. if you hit the line in, you get all kinds of hf and hi-mid excitement, which i don't like on program material.

gregoire
del
ubk

----------------------

UBK. Yes. That is what I'm doing. I'm speaking of a warmth in the upper range of the converter itself that is pleasing to my ear. It's subtle but it's there. After much time with the A2D I like it even more vs. many many many etc. converters.

By the way. I am looking at one of your compressors pretty seriously. love the video on your website.
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil View Post

Behold, the a2d on bass (and everything else, actually).

Dirty and punchy:

Sneaky Little Devil - All My Bases Covered

Deep and dark:

Sneaky Little Devil - Who Says This is Love

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear

will the a2d become obsolete?

let me explain my question... Historically, good mic pres don't really become obsolete. After all they don't really change. With the A2D marrying pres to converters, wouldn't the converters become obsolete as they are still progressing?
Old 4th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
will the a2d become obsolete?

let me explain my question... Historically, good mic pres don't really become obsolete. After all they don't really change. With the A2D marrying pres to converters, wouldn't the converters become obsolete as they are still progressing?
When the conversion becomes obsolete you will still have two rocking pres ...
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear

Converters are tailored to give the best api sound. I remember skimming over a post with comparisons between the line outs and the converters saying something like the converters sweetened the pre's and compliment them nicely.
Old 5th January 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicl View Post
Converters are tailored to give the best api sound. I remember skimming over a post with comparisons between the line outs and the converters saying something like the converters sweetened the pre's and compliment them nicely.

People post lots of things but that don't make it true. Those converters are *ruler* flat from 20hz-42k, which is where my test rig rolls off. They don't sweeten anything, they are quite transparent as long as you go in via the inserts.

If you use the line inputs you'll get color, but that's from the 2520 circuit not the converters.

I'm a fan of colored converters, I love the 2192 and was the first on the block to use and adore the Burls. The a2d is clean.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 27th February 2010
Lives for gear

is anyone still selling this for $1700?

every place I can find sells it around 1800-1900...
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

Reviving an old thread just to give some props to this piece.

I love that using the A2D with the 2:1 engaged is almost like tracking into a mild compressor. How friggin brilliant. Honestly, API needs to incorporate that function into the 3124+ and the 512c. For live off the floor jams, I love using the A2D on my guitarists, because I can run the pres hot with the 2:1, taming any peaks going into the board.

I wanted to sell mine a while back to get another Pacifica, but it's gotta stay... I'm saving for the Pacifica instead

Hell... how brilliant would it be to have a 1RU 8 channel AD made by API with the attenuation knob? For tracking, that would be stellar! I know one could by a little labs red cloud to go with their converters... but then you wouldn't get the awesome knobs.

There. I said it. I still love this piece of gear!
Old 18th September 2010
Lives for gear
I posted ahwhile back in this thread...Ended up saving my money, bought a rosetta 200 then had both a api 512c and great river sent to me for a shoot out. The slut in me ended up going broke and kept both I love api pres! If I had to have one kind of pre in multiple it would be those!
Old 18th September 2010
Lives for gear

I agree. Totally agree. Now if they'd just add that 2:1 to the 512c and 3124+
Old 18th September 2010
Lives for gear

ugh, why did you have to bring this thread back...

I still REALLY want an A2D but it's a lot of dough for me to pony up.
Old 2nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Bumping an old thread here.. So apologies..

The pre's aside.. We all know how great they are....

Buuuut...

Anybody using the A2D with a masterlink to mixdown to regularly?

I noticed UBK's comments about the freq response of the unit.. Saying it's ruler flat..
With this in mind, and the fact that it offers high sample rates, great metering + attenuators, and fantastic build quality..

How does it stand up against other high end 2 channel A/D's?
Old 2nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeek View Post
How does it stand up against other high end 2 channel A/D's?
Tall, considering the package it is in.

Its a great sounding unit.

Its "fast", accurate and deep.

Sounds sick as a 2-bus adc.
Old 2nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Great.. Package is great.. But package aside..

How well do you think it stands up next to Prism/Benchmark's ADC's to master to?
Old 2nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeek View Post
Great.. Package is great.. But package aside..

How well do you think it stands up next to Prism/Benchmark's ADC's to master to?
Never compared them directly.

I've never heard the ADC in the A2D crumple on any application.
Old 4th February 2011
Lives for gear

Took a few years but I finally have an A2D.

I figured I would take a minute to give my first thoughts on it. First I'm using it with spdif going into an 002R. Until now I was using FMR RNPs for the vast majority of my recording.

I do a LOT of direct in recording... bass, guitar (with amp modeled plugins) etc. And one of the first things I did was plug my bass into this thing. Immediately impressed. In fact, in retrospect the DI bass sounds is the biggest improvement so far over my RNPs into the 002R. My bass now sounds clear, and most importantly even. Very even.

I tested vocals and acoustic guitar as well. Same sort of response, very even. It was with these that I could tell the main difference with my RNP. Which I also tested through the A2Ds converters. I honestly have to commend the RNP here. It did have a slight thing going on in the mids. Slight bump up. A little brighter. I preferred it on my voice actually. With the acoustic I had a hard time figuring out which I preferred. I am SO used to hearing the acoustic through the RNP, and through the A2D it almost sounded slight duller, or less hyped. But still, transients seemed crisper and cleaner on the A2D. This may sound weird but they were very similar, yet very different... ha.

The best thing though so far is the A2Ds versatility. thank goodness they put on the 2:1 button. Cause man you can get a lot of range from this thing. I don't have a lot of experience with clean pres, but this thing sounds very clean when the digital outs are fully open and the gain is reasonable. But with 2:1 engaged and the gain turned up it really thickens up and adds weight.

Overall I'm very excited to keep using this and discovering what it can do, and what it adds to my setup. It's really my first personally owned high end piece of gear.
Old 6th February 2011
Gear Maniac

A2D will be mine, just as soon as that tax return check comes in

Love this thread.
Old 6th February 2011
Lives for gear

No doubt about it, the A2D kicks ass. I have used it a lot over this last year and I never get tired of it. Lots of choices and flavors but for some reason API and tape seem to rule. Not sure all of the reasons why...

I'm looking forward to trying out the new channel strip.
Old 6th February 2011
Gear Maniac
another way to answer your questions

you ask about the ins/outs. when i have such a question, i go to the maker's web site and look at the manual. a better source (no offense intended, folks) for hard info than gearslutz, which is mostly opinion and applications.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search