The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API A2D Audio Interfaces
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlyformedmind View Post
Bottom line, the A2D is the ****.
Agreed.
The 2:1 button makes the A2D the best/most versatile API preamp out there.

The converters aren't even priced into the product. And BTW, the converters do sound great.

Here's another cool way to use the A2d: run a different pre into the A2d's converters, and trim back the level with the converters trim knobs. This allows you to push your other preamps harder so you can get more color out of those.
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

how many peeps are using the PAD + 2:1 to drive the vocals? or are you leaving the pad off?

+1000 for anything positive said about the A2D. Anything through it just sounds quality.
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
I would print the sounds you want with the hardware you have, and use the Mini-DAC for monitoring, as it will give you a great representation of the product you are working with. I'm thinking your going to be fine, and since you're going to be mixing in stems with the Audio Fire, you're going to have room to work. Trust me, I think your headed in the onward and upward direction with the A2D for certain. It won't be until later [or never] that you'll sweat the details for a mixing DAC like that. Cross that bridge when it comes time, but for now, the better ADC [and better 312 electronics in the box] your stepping up your recordings, AND the quality of your OTB mix BACK into the software.
Thanks for the input, much appreciated!!

thumbsup
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicl View Post
how many peeps are using the PAD + 2:1 to drive the vocals? or are you leaving the pad off?
I haven't noticed a big difference in tone using the PAD button, but I haven't really tested. Sometimes I use the 2:1 on vox depending the voice and song. I always use 2:1 on kick and bass.
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlyformedmind View Post
Yeah you are set for 2 channels of great preamps and A/D conversion. Like my buddy above me, but what happens with the D/A? You don't want ****ty D/A from M-Audio. Especially if you are mixing your stuff. You need an accurate description of what's being tracked, compressed, eq'd, etc. So buy a good D/A. That's my advice
I have an M-Audio as my D/A and It seems lacking in detail the more I listen to it. I definitely don't have high end stuff (except maybe my A7s and My NTK, and my guitars and amps) but I'm reading this site, specifically this forum to get my head around all the info out there (here) about gear. That'd be great to be able to use something like the API as the converter. Add the pres, and it seems like a great piece of equipment.
Old 14th February 2009
krs
Lives for gear

Honestly I wouldn't mess around with the cheaper M-Audio stuff.

I would grab a 003R so you can clock it over BNC.

Trying to send S/PDIF data and clock over the same cable in theory is fine, doesn't always translate to the real world. BNC is a more reliable way to deliver clock.

(Also the extra inputs are nice to have when you need them)
Old 7th May 2009
Lives for gear

thumbsup
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs View Post
Honestly I wouldn't mess around with the cheaper M-Audio stuff.

I would grab a 003R so you can clock it over BNC.

Trying to send S/PDIF data and clock over the same cable in theory is fine, doesn't always translate to the real world. BNC is a more reliable way to deliver clock.

(Also the extra inputs are nice to have when you need them)
Old 7th May 2009
Lives for gear

thumbsup Great insights, thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemix View Post
As promised..
>these observations are based on a quick, not too scientific listening test and should only represent this user's personal opinion !<
OK, we all know what an API 312 should sound like, and spending $1700 is really only the question if one needs a two channel version of it.
My situation is somewhat different, as we have a few different flavors of decent/good mic preamps already, and I rent in the lunchbox as needed.
The AD converter was my main interest, just to have a modern day 24bit/192 capable unit on hand.
Had about an hour before my gig yesterday, so hooked up the A2D in an exact same calibration/monitoring/listening situation as my 10 years old Studer D-19, 20bit/48 Khz max capable box to compare.
This is the rundown of the setup;
Chose a sparse 16 or so tracks PT HD session of mainly acoustic instruments and voices. Brought it up on the board. My typically used mixing chain goes like this:
Console 2 mix out @ 0dB >Studer AD balanced in, calibrated to = -14DBFS > AES to Wavelab workstations digital IOcard AES in > AES out > Benchmark DAC-1 > balanced analog out > board's two track monitor #1 in, calibrated to 0dB.
Straightforward and simple, I've been mixing this way for 10 years.
Then..built a short, good quality patchcord (FXLR>1/4" TRS / Canair, Neutrik) to feed the API AD in.
This input was fed from the second two mix out from the console and calibrated identically.
Now...this is what I've noticed immediately:
The Studer chain sounded really close, if not identical to the analog out of the board. There is only one switch to press to hear A/B.
On the API chain...stereo image narrowed in about 10-25 % !!
Also..low mid frequencies had an extra lift, compared to the source and the D-19 ! This was very noticable on the lower string of the acoustic GTR.
In addition ... to have identical digital level delivered ..the API's digital input gains were almost maxed out ! My Studer sits at mid scale.
Listening was via our Genelecs/NS 10s/ JBLs and cans.

So..for me in search for another modern day 192/24 capable converter..the A2D isn't the right tool..
Going back to my dealer with a sincere thank you, for letting me try it.
Next is...Benchmark ADC-1 !

Sorry for making a short story long..
take care all,
andrew
Old 8th May 2009

Wow, I can't believe it's been three years since this thread was started...
Old 8th May 2009
Lives for gear

Well since its been bumped I must say I love mine... I run my mixes into the pres, drive those babies & then out the pre to the converters & out AES to my Masterlink
Old 10th May 2009
I think its a good idea to bump old threads when we see new ones are being started for no reason.
Old 10th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
I think its a good idea to bump old threads when we see new ones are being started for no reason.
Ur too rite about that 1 Roc!!!
Old 10th May 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS View Post
Well since its been bumped I must say I love mine... I run my mixes into the pres, drive those babies & then out the pre to the converters & out AES to my Masterlink
I do exactly the same.
On some material it can be truly magic!
Old 11th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel saunders View Post
I do exactly the same.

On some material it can be truly magic!
Yes indeed ...
Old 13th May 2009
Here for the gear

Hey guys, I am thinking of just using an m-audio black box to run pro tools with, but then use this for it's preamps, would that give a good sound?
Old 13th May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller View Post
Hey guys, I am thinking of just using an m-audio black box to run pro tools with, but then use this for it's preamps, would that give a good sound?
Yes.

Correction... this M Audio unit only has SPDIF outs. So, no you would want to get one of the M Audio units with SPDIF in.
Old 13th May 2009
Gear Maniac

I'm also a huge fan of this pre, I had some great results using it for a voiceover with a TLM 49.. looking forward to tracking some bass with it later this week. One day I'll pair it up with a distressor and hear the bliss!!
Old 14th May 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmatt View Post
I'm also a huge fan of this pre, I had some great results using it for a voiceover with a TLM 49.. looking forward to tracking some bass with it later this week. One day I'll pair it up with a distressor and hear the bliss!!
I have used U87-A2D- Fatso on an 1176 type setting ..just fantastic!
Old 15th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmatt View Post
Snap! Any more TLM49 and A2D users here?
PS, the tlm49 seems quite hot - do you use the 2:1 or PAD to tame?
Old 19th June 2009
I've got an API A2D on the way (it's the non-word clock version). I'm a newbie when it comes to converters and clocks, so please excuse me if I'm asking something that has been already answered here (it probably went over my head). I'm trying to understand clocking the best I can.

Up until now, I've been using the Digi002r (ptle 7.4) to record all my tracks.

If anyone can please clarify these points.
True or false...

- I CAN use the 2 API converters if I sync the 002r to read the A2D's master "superclock" via the spidf cable?
- I CANNOT simultaneously use the API and 002r's converters?
- This is because my particular A2D can't sync to word-clock (without the API upgrade) and also because the 002r's converters can't be used while the 002r unit is sync'd to the API (as the "master") which is sending superclock?

From what I've gathered, these are all true? Feel free to spell anything out that I'm missing? Thanks in advance!
-Jim
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo-bration View Post

- I CAN use the 2 API converters if I sync the 002r to read the A2D's master "superclock" via the spidf cable?
- This is because my particular A2D can't sync to word-clock (without the API upgrade) and also because the 002r's converters can't be used while the 002r unit is sync'd to the API (as the "master") which is sending superclock?

From what I've gathered, these are all true? Feel free to spell anything out that I'm missing? Thanks in advance!
-Jim
the first one is right, second and third wrong...

you could use alle the features of the 002, just sync to the a2d and you are alright.
Old 20th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo-bration View Post
I've got an API A2D on the way (it's the non-word clock version). I'm a newbie when it comes to converters and clocks, so please excuse me if I'm asking something that has been already answered here (it probably went over my head). I'm trying to understand clocking the best I can.

Up until now, I've been using the Digi002r (ptle 7.4) to record all my tracks.

If anyone can please clarify these points.
True or false...

-Jim
Forget "stupid clock", it matters not.

You can use your A2D and your 002, yes. Just clock the 002 via the SPDIF IN.

Set the A2D to internal clock at the desired sample rate. When the 002 clocks from SPDIF, your A2D becomes the master clock of the system. You should easily be able to use all I/O including the SPDIF I/O.
Old 3rd July 2009
I bought one used on ebay a couple weeks ago. UPS nearly f-ed me! Package went missing for 4 days. When it finally showed up, the box was soaking wet (it had been raining all week and it had probably been sitting in a leaky truck). A couple corners of the box were ripped open exposing the bubblewrap. I was horrified to see rain dripping down the sides of the unit when I unpacked it. I let it dry for a day, then followed up with a hair dryer. The allen nuts on the front are now rusty :( Good news though... It powered up and is working fine! Nice job API.

I don't have much to compare it to (digi002r) as this is a big step up for me, but holy ****, the difference is huge! I tracked a band this week using the API A2D (paired with a 160a) for all the overdubs. Vocals sit in the mix so much better. The guitars are more articulate, and the bass actually has bottom!

No clocking issues, like I was wondering about. Me =
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

What other quality preamp/converters are out there like the API A2D?
Old 7th July 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moore View Post
What other quality preamp/converters are out there like the API A2D?
Honestly..... There are none for this kind of money.
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Honestly..... There are none for this kind of money.
I'm torn between maybe grabbing one or 2 of these or adding another Aurora 8/16 and another 500 series rack. I guess I gotta ask myself, how many pre amps do I actually need at one time.
Old 15th July 2009
Gear Head

So...after 3 years how do the converters on the api a2d do comparing to newest gear? Would it be a big step up from 2626 a/d converters/clock??
I have about $2000 to upgrade and i am torn between the api a2d or Pacifica Pre...if the converters on api a2d are a big step from 2626 its probably a more consistent updrade...
Old 15th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrado Davila View Post
So...after 3 years how do the converters on the api a2d do comparing to newest gear? Would it be a big step up from 2626 a/d converters/clock??
I have about $2000 to upgrade and i am torn between the api a2d or Pacifica Pre...if the converters on api a2d are a big step from 2626 its probably a more consistent updrade...
Not only are the AD converters a step up from that box, but the mic amps are timeless!! The AD portion in the A2D is well worth the price of admission, considering the S-Q of the converter, and the entire package.
Old 16th July 2009
Lives for gear

I love my A2D ! the converters are awesome, especially at 88.2...
Old 16th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS View Post

Curious, when do you guys going into masterlink from a2d dither? or do you?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search