The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Compressors for Tracking
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Nut

Compressors for Tracking

As of right now im trying to decide on whether to buy a pair of compressors for tracking. Im running a Digi 002 with focusrite 428 converters/pres and api 3124 all through Soundcraft ghost. ive got the UAD card but am looking into getting a pair of 1176's for tracking and some true tube compression for mixing or buss compressors. Is it worth it to spend the cash on these? or is there another cheaper compressor that will do as good or better job for the same price? i love the plugins but i dont think they do it real justice. what do you think?
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

The 1176ln is probably one of the best tracking compressors I can think of. It kind of hard to screwup with it. I would say that, the LA3A, 33609 and 2254e would all be excellent choices to track through. Each of these are "musical" enough that they'll never really "damage" things.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Guru

add the Tubetech CL1B on there too.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I just did some tracking with the OCL-2 on vocals.

Nothing but good things to say about it.

Jason
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Maniac

I would Look for an ADL 1200. I bought mine for $800 bucks (Mine came from a divorce liquidation..... I track everything i can threw it.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

A little compression on each track starts adding up really fast, especially with the same signature box like an 1176. When I started tracking and mixing on older SSL, it was easy to grab compression and really loaded up when it came time to mix. I've since then learned to use compression sparingly (the sidecar also helped ).
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

I wouldn't go the 1176LN route at all.
I would defenetly lok into something like:
  • Cransong Trakker
  • Empirical Labs EL8
  • Daking
Al of them will give you more than one flava and will work on a lot of stuff including the 2buss.
Other than that a Buzz SOC would be nice too.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutmeg II.
I wouldn't go the 1176LN route at all.
I would definitely look into something like:
  • Cransong Trakker
  • Empirical Labs EL8
  • Daking
Second vote for the TRAKKER and Distressor. Never used the Daking.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Purple MC77 or Distressor gets the job done.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Probably all the suggestions are good. It depends on what you want to use it for I guess. 1176 (definately an original. the new ones are okay but the extra money is worth it), LA3A's, Dakings and sometimes distressors all sound good on vocals. The distressor can something in the ballpark of the others without the transformer color. LA3A's are too slow to grab digital overs but they are quite harmless when they are barely working and sometimes harmless when working a lot. The Dakings are the most vanilla of all these choices, more tweakable than the 1176 or LA3A but not as much as the distressor but they sound best on the 2 mix and drum sub. It's hard to go wrong with a good 1176.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

On the affordable front I've been diggin the DBX 160xt's lately. Otherwise a Distressor is great for getting different tones from one box.

ERic
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

bass - dbx 160

vocals - the opto la-4 was cool

drums -if ya want the "tit" just find a good compresor with a variable attack a dial from 5-15 ms

gtrs la2a or 1176
Old 23rd May 2006
What do we think of the Gates Solid Statesman.

Does anybody like the old gates just to keep the input level a bit tidy.
Regards.•:*¨¨*:•. ¸¸.•´¯`•.Mark Fairfax-Harwood, Engineer Springvale Studios
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

If I could only keep one compressor for tracking it would be the neve 33609. the original, with metal knobs, not the "c" or the "j" or any of the rev's. The 33609.

I find myself tracking through that a lot, or a sta level, or a collins 26-1U (6386 based compressor) or 26W (limiter). Especially when tracking straight into PTHD.

I hardly ever track through the distressor, or the 1176, regardless of the capture format.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

tfpro P38.

Sounds mega on everything and also superb as a buss comp.
More affordable too than 1176/Distressors etc.
Old 23rd May 2006
I would second the Daking and Distressor.
Extremely flexible the both of them.
The Distressor tends to get more of a work out than the Daking, but that is more due to easy of use than anything.

Good luck in your search.

David

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search