The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studer A820 troubles...
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Addict

Studer A820 troubles...

Dear Slutz, please answer this one... I've been hearing storiies about these STUDER's Top of the Range products and problems with them... Many say they're worst Studer's babies... Why? What's it all about? I have a combination to buy one or two of these decks.... But, should I be that scared? People've been telling me stories about their construcyional problems, short life, bad capacitors... Are these stories false or true? What are your "servicing" and "owning" experiences? What should I be afraid of, regarding A820s??? Till now, I've only worked with Otaris...

Thanks... I really need answers, I would buy 2 machines these days if everything's OK.

Regards from Serbia!
Old 22nd May 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by perun
But, should I be that scared? People've been telling me stories about their construcyional problems, short life, bad capacitors... Are these stories false or true? What are your "servicing" and "owning" experiences? What should I be afraid of, regarding A820s??? Till now, I've only worked with Otaris...
In truth...

Nothing really.

I've spent more time on A800's then the 820's & 827's and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about any of this stuff.

IMO sonically they're all good sounding machines. The 827's seem a beefier and 'bigger' and IMO have a slightly more rugged transport but to the degree of splitting hairs. IIRC the 827 is a bit easier to service then the 820 but it makes NO difference to me since I call somebody for all that sort of stuff anyway!

The 820's have an 'auto-alignment' feature that some people use & others don't trust at all & it can also store alignments which is a BIG plus if you have multiple projects with multiple alignments coming through your shop. I take the middle ground on it...I trust it enough to get in the ballpark but I'd rather do the last 20% & final checks myself. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think the 820's also have a built in synchronizer.

As for capaciter life...ehhh...probably 50/50. Any machine is going to need it's electrolyitcs replaced every so often but like anything else, how often depends on a couple three factors. Where the machine is housed & it's average operating temp & environment are HUGE...if it's in a dusty shop & stuffed into a closet or back corner without adaqute ventilation & HVAC it'll eat caps like jellybeans...but stick 'em in a nice clean & cool place and the caps will last a LOT longer.

Some places power the machines down all the time & some shops leave 'em juiced up 24/7 and that's another huge factor.

Really dude...they're Studers...either one is a fine choice! Hunt around for a killer deal on well maintained decks. Get service records if you can and IMO a head report is MANDATORY before plunking down any amount of dough unless the machines are just stoopidly cheap!
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Addict

Thanks Jay... I hope the troubles on these 2 decks only consider caps... Should recapping be a problem or huge expense? As I told, I've never used Studer... only Otaris... But I think this'll be a presedan!

Thanks again...
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

A827 is an awesome deck. It also has the ability to store your setup data at the end of the reel. Search the forum for the user "maidsroom" he has good contact #'s for Studer repair. They also respond to email very well. I would only buy an A827.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search