The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KM 100?
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

KM 100?

I've had a KM 100 on loan from a friend for the past month or so. I've been using it on hi-hat and not much else for the time being. He's asking for it back now so he can put it up on E-bay. I have been considering buying it off him, but neither of us know what the mic is worth... being fair to both of us, so does anyone know? I'm also curious to know if any slutz have compared a KM 100 to a KM 84 and KM 184. Id probably be using this primarily for hi-hat mic'ing... so if anyone has any other cost effective solutions, Id take any ideas there too. Thanks for the help!
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Hi RedWall,

The KM100 series are just the preamplifier / electronics and have many different capsule choices. The capsule number is printed below the grill. I believe the 45s are cardiod and the 30s and 31s are omnis with different high freq. behavior.

I was pricing new KM100 +31 recently and was getting prices in the $1100. per mic (body and capsule) range.

I don't see them used very often.

Best,
Silas
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, the KM 100s seem to have been a short lived design. Not to get off the subject of my own post, but I have been considering taking the plunge into a Royer R121... primarily for electric guitar. But, has anyone used the R121 on Hi Hat? Considering it can take the pressure of being against a guitar cab, Im guessing it would probably sound great on a hi-hat as well. Opinions?
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm going to assume you have a KM100/AK40 cardioid capsule, since that likely for hihat.

Cost on the KM100 preamp was around $350 when they were available, and the AK 30, 40, or 45 series capsules to go with them ranged around $600-700.

Dealer cost on the mic would probably have been around $850-900.

They are sonically most close to a KM184 series mic, much more so than a KM84 which is becoming a very hot vintage mic these days. But real street value for original KM84s and KM85s is more like 700-800, though the guys who restore and sell them get between 900-1100 for them.

By the way, Restoring a KM84 to factory spec runs around $250-300. (I've had three KM84s and a KM85 re-done, they match very nicely! I prefer the KM85 on hat myself...)

The original, Telefunken KM54s, sell for around $2000 - 2500 each these days with outboard power supply.

Hope this helps!

Jim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search