The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hi everyone...I have some questions
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Hi everyone...I have some questions

Hi everyone. I have been recording since I was 12 and on this board for years. I turned 18 last month and have some spending cash to blow on recording. Im talking around $3000 or so. This is not a lot, but considering what I have its going to be a good upgrade. I currently run a UA 2108 into a yamaha DAW (16G). It sounds pretty solid. My mics are not the best, just the typical teenage project studio (57s, 58s, groove tube condensors, beta drum mics, etc). I have been thinking about getting either a really good reverb unit (I need one..something like the PCM-90/91, M3000, etc) or another good preamp (probably something of the Neve 10xx color). On the flip side, I do want good microphones. I record almost all instruments, and I could use new drum overheads. A matched pair of AKG451s could be around $600-800. Im in the delema where I want to get something that will sound great and retain it's value, but I'm not sure what to upgrade. Preamps are always good to upgrade though, and I only have 2 good ones (the UAs.) Can anyone recommend some good pres, in the $2k range? Im looking at the great rivers, but tried out the Vipre in GC and it blew me away. Granted, I was using a high end mic, and the pre is nearly $3,000, but I did like it. Any comments? One last note, the fact that I don't have any outboard compressors haunts me. I love the 1176, and Ive used the distressor. They are good sounding comps, but I'm not sure which to look into. Throw in your $.02! Thanks

Z4L
Old 22nd May 2006
Deleted User
What do you want to do with your life? If you want to do recording stuff, you're going to need an internship. You don't make money with an internship. You need money to live off of while you're in an internship.

Just a thought.

But, if you're going to spend it on equipment, I'll make the following suggestions:

A good vocal mic: AT4060, or Shure SM7. 2 different animals, both a hell of a buy for the money.

Instrument mics: You hit the nail on the head with the 451s. Also check out the Neumann km184's.

Good pre's: John Hardy M1s... Or, build some Seventh Circle kits, and learn something in the process.

Good effects: TC's M-one, and D-two. GREAT bang for the buck in both cases. M-3000s are nice too.

Comps: Summit stuff rules... Distressors are awesome. An ADL 1000 for vocals, bass, electric guitar is pretty damn cool.

Maybe a step into a computer based daw is something to think about? Digi 002r? People that hate ProTools... shut up... you like what you have, I like PT.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Old 22nd May 2006
Get into PT its what the customers want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
What do you want to do with your life? If you want to do recording stuff, you're going to need an internship. You don't make money with an internship. You need money to live off of while you're in an internship.

Just a thought.

But, if you're going to spend it on equipment, I'll make the following suggestions:

A good vocal mic: AT4060, or Shure SM7. 2 different animals, both a hell of a buy for the money.

Instrument mics: You hit the nail on the head with the 451s. Also check out the Neumann km184's.

Good pre's: John Hardy M1s... Or, build some Seventh Circle kits, and learn something in the process.

Good effects: TC's M-one, and D-two. GREAT bang for the buck in both cases. M-3000s are nice too.

Comps: Summit stuff rules... Distressors are awesome. An ADL 1000 for vocals, bass, electric guitar is pretty damn cool.

Maybe a step into a computer based daw is something to think about? Digi 002r? People that hate ProTools... shut up... you like what you have, I like PT.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
I am an old git EX 2" 24/Neve and I have had to chainge for business reasons,
get to PT and go from there with retro everything.
Oh yeah the long term storage question. Um!. Get each 0 and one from each file
chiseled into solid granite tablets by otherwise unemployed third word nations.
Or use DVD.
Regards.•:*¨¨*:•. ¸¸.•´¯`•.Mark Fairfax-Harwood, Engineer Springvale Studios
PS Buy secondhand name mic's and learn to service and repair.
PPS Nothing sounds like some thing slightly different, its a fact. Things uncannily sound like exactly what they are. If we use our money to buy Psudo this and not quite that we will destroy the industry that gave us the original sought after items.
Sorry to new start recording machinery companies but if you have a new product don't call it after another one. Not even AKG can do that with the C12.
Old 3 pentode metal envelope tube pre amps with UL transformers and with an anode voltage that would kill a passing buffalo for some odd reason don't sound like: nice safe low voltage dual triode glass envelope two tube pre amps with built in A to D. Funny That!. A Simpson meter and big retro knobs don't con me.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Wow theres some good advice in those posts...read them over a few times!

I would say you have to ask yourself what you want out of your studio. Do you want to be able to record a full band and have it sound really good? Or do you want to record your ideas and noodle around and get some pretty cool sounds, but not eclipse Zeppelin I or anything...

If you want to record bands, are you going to do it for a living or for fun?

Doing it for a living is a LONG (really its never ending) road as many here know too well. And whats more, going down it will probably kill your creativity with your own music. A wise and slipper clad man told me this a few years ago, I didnt believe him but now I think he may be right.

If you just want to record yourself, honestly you should be able to get some pretty cool sounds with what youve got. You have some powerful tools there - a good sounding a class mic pre, some good dynamic mics, a stereo tape machine (get it aligned if you havnt, and use the right tape if you arent). Thats a potentially wicked drum sound right there. stike.....levee breaks....stike

I second the idea of buying some mic pre kits, if you think you can put them together. Youll save a LOT of cash that way and can get pres that are as good as or better than any of the big names.

Appart from that, Id get a computer and a reasonable 8ch audio interface. Dont get too hung up on convertors etc, there are many many more drastic ways to improve your recordings first. Just get something that works and isnt crazy expensive...and isnt bear-ringer/focusrite/tlaudio/mackie.

Good luck...post some recordings if you like...

M
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replys, they helped a lot! Heres a clip of an instrumental thing I put together. I played all tracks, and im using that setup in my sig. Ill let you know what I decide to buy...i guess my setup works for now

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/Plat...%20(instr).mp3
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Addict

i'd say get to know a rep at a local store and rent some stuff or borrow to try - it's always good to aquire slowly - i buy mostly used stuff and get good deals on ebay. saved tons of money vs new and never received anything broken - including nice mics. be smart - check the sellers feedback and listen to your gut.

you want to buy only things that are versatile that you will use a lot - no sense in getting some specialty thing (tube pre amps/compressors/eqs) you'll only use a little at this point.

best buy on a great sounding preamp in my opinion is the vintech 1272 - 2 channels can be had for about $1000 on ebay - they are coloured and fat. in the neve family (don't kill me) and big sounding - love em on drums/guitars/vocals.

then i'd get yourself some mics - spend the rest on a pair of something decent. 451s are awesome overheads for drums, piano - acoustic guitar - you can't go wrong with 414's - and grab one decent LDC condenser - depending on what you like a TLM 103 - a NT2 - or 4060 - hunt around. peluso mics and lawsons sometimes go cheap on ebay and are solid.

have fun! buy one thing and get to know it really well - then decide what you want next. a computer rig is not an essential first step if you like your recorder - improve your front end and get a ton of experience under your belt. you may decide you want to go analog - don't blow $1200 on a motu or something/

for fx - you can get really usable sounds out of some unpopular alesis stuff - the microverb 3 can be had for under $100 and is quiet and has some nice dark reverbs - also the alesis wedge for around $80 - $100 has a ton of usable sounds for delays/verbs/modulation. if you are into delays get a line6 delay modeler - super versatile, awesome for tracking and great on mixdowns.

my 2 cents. HAVE FUN!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search