The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Firlotte EQ: Anyone Heard It?
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Firlotte EQ: Anyone Heard It?

There was a lot of buzz a few months ago in anticipation of Firlotte's new EQ. Now that it's out, has anyone had a chance to hear/try it?

guru007
Old 22nd May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru007
There was a lot of buzz a few months ago in anticipation of Firlotte's new EQ. Now that it's out, has anyone had a chance to hear/try it?

guru007
Not me... I think this is the first I have heard about this...
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Guru

It's a Winner

I nabbed one of the prototype DEQ-4's as soon as I heard it.
It's a killer..
musical,sweet..
Much prefer it to the Ibis .
F*cking GREAT for stereo buss or tracking.
Dual 4 band,fully parametric, all stepped controls..Hi/Lo pass filters from 6hz to 60K

I saw the Production model a couple weeks ago..aside from a cool new vinage looking brown and black paint job..no more hi/ lo pass, but now it's full six band with bell/shelving on the lowest and highest bands and each band has it's own bypass.
Loove it!
Old 22nd May 2006
Moderator emeritus

Hmm - I've got 6 channels of the original Vac Rac EQ.... Is the new one parametric?
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin
Hmm - I've got 6 channels of the original Vac Rac EQ.... Is the new one parametric?

Yes..
It's inward connections/no Vac Rac[tubes] affiliation
I't's chock full of Steve's all discrete electronicsthumbsup
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
I nabbed one of the prototype DEQ-4's as soon as I heard it.
It's a killer..
musical,sweet..
Much prefer it to the Ibis .
F*cking GREAT for stereo buss or tracking.
Dual 4 band,fully parametric, all stepped controls..Hi/Lo pass filters from 6hz to 60K

I saw the Production model a couple weeks ago..aside from a cool new vinage looking brown and black paint job..no more hi/ lo pass, but now it's full six band with bell/shelving on the lowest and highest bands and each band has it's own bypass.
Loove it!
Since you're a VT4 user, and have played with the TMEQ, how does the Firlotte compare or complement those EQs? And what did you like better about the Firlotte over the Ibis?

All the above units are under consideration for my upcoming EQ purchase(s), so I'm very curious

guru007
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru007
Since you're a VT4 user, and have played with the TMEQ, how does the Firlotte compare or complement those EQs? And what did you like better about the Firlotte over the Ibis?

All the above units are under consideration for my upcoming EQ purchase(s), so I'm very curious

guru007
the Ibis sounds too clinlcal to me in comparison..
The Firlotte is just extremely musical and sweet..this thing would rock as a mastering tool.
Great cleaner[but not remotely sterile] companion to the more colored Fearns and Pultecs..
Very cool extremely powerful EQ chain when used in series on the buss..
the TMEQ, I remember being more transparent than the Fearns , more of a fine tweaker..If I only had the $,I'd own em' all..
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Firlotte EQ

I think I have #4 of this new EQ. I bought one and IT IS AWESOME!

I sold my IBIS to get one...after I shot them out in my room!

IBIS was a little more sterile sounding..STEVES had the BEEF almost seemed like a Neve type EQ but DETENTS on just about every knob!

Man, he makes some awesome stuff! I also have one of his 8 channel 820 Inward Connections Side Car. Phenomenal piece of gear. Vocals, Bass, Snare, Kick!

Mojava
Old 2nd February 2007
Here for the gear

Firlotte EQ

I have a most amazing Firlotte EQ that I've used on vocals and guitars for the last 19 years. It's a dual-channel hand-made parametric EQ that Steve made in the late 1980s. I own serial #001. Chas Sanford (Missing You) and his engineer, Gary McGachan, told me about Steve while I was producing an album for Mercury Polygram in Chas's Woodland Hills studio, Secret Sound. Steve's EQ beats my Neve and Focusrite EQs for adding a glassy transparent texture to vocals. I used it as a mic pre/EQ for lead vocals on an album and got outstanding results. I don't know if Steve's new EQs are of this quality but I'd love to A-B one with mine. Does anyone on GS have a similar Firlotte EQ? I'd love to hear your evaluation. This one is stellar.
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Addict

A website where I can find info on this one ?? What's Steve's website ?
Old 2nd February 2007
Here for the gear

What an eq

Not in my room at the mo but i think i have#006. The eq is great....strange caus it is both precise and musical at the same time. It works reall well with the api5500 that just dropped through my letter box (beauty and the beast!?!).

If i was to make one criticism it would have to be that occaisionally 1 click plus or minus is too much. Best idea is to speak to Vintage King and get one to test...i doubt you will send it back!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search