The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio Electronics C2 compressor...anyone using/tried it?
Old 22nd May 2006
One with big hooves

Studio Electronics C2 compressor...anyone using/tried it?

Not that cheap-o Asian made stuff...this thing here --> C2 dual compressor

One of my old friends is getting out of the recording biz & he's got one of these for sale at a fairly attractive price.

I'm going to pick it up & give it a spin in a day or two but I'm wondering what the general vibe on it is...besides the press hype!

On the surface reports seem to say that it's a ballsy tracking & general duty piece...my buddy reported using it to track heavy electric gtrs, kick & snare, drum bus blah blah blee blee...but while searching I could only find one or two mentions of it...which were filled with LOTS of press hype.

Anyone ever try it on their 2-mix?

Is it really close to an 1176 in terms of compression characteristics and/or tone or is the C2 really it's own animal?

How about self-noise? Less then a "real" blackface 1176 or about the same?

I've already got a pair of '76LN's & wouldn't hurt to have two more around but I think I want something a little different...

Thanks!
Old 22nd May 2006
One with big hooves

Bueller?

Bueller?

Bueller?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

SE C2

I have one, they're pretty cool. To me they sound more Neve'ish than anything else, but they do a good job of impersonating an 1176 at it's crazier settings.

It's very versatile. In my experience I've used it on kick, snare, bass, elec. gt. , vox, drum sub and 2 buss.

Matt
Old 6th April 2008
Gear Head

verses the 1176LN UA to me its better

On vocals it really brought it out in the mix better than the UA 1176ln. The 1176LN had less mids...lots of bass and trebs.. verses the C2s. I like the sound of the UA 1176 if I want more of that airy compression tone. But overall due to budget contraints I sold my 1176LN to keep my C2s instead. Plus you get two channels for stereo compression. Its more modern to me. I am not stuck on vintage tone like many engineers. I want something new and fresh in my mixes. And I do respect the classics too. The only thing I can say I don't like about the C2s...is the disco lights...but that is cosmetic. VU would have been better I think. Its a nice piece of gear.
Old 7th April 2008
You'd think there'd be some kinda copyright issue with the Alan Smart unit...
Old 7th April 2008
Gear Maniac

i own one and use it regularly. iv'e had UA 1176 reuissues, Purple MC77's and homemade 1176's. unlike an 1176 or MC77, the controls are pretty touchy. makes it just a bit more difficult to quickly get a sound. (honestly, i think it's just the smaller circumference of the knobs that makes it harder to quickly fine tune). and that also makes it difficult to use in a stereo setup. i find that it loses a bit of low end when i put it on the stereo buss so i don't really use it there ever.

besides that, it sounds absolutely great on single sources - drums, guitar, vox, synth, anything really. it uses different transformers than the UA or the Purple so it's bound to be sonically different right out of the box but i like it and i use it a lot. the metering is sorta useless but you don't really need that anyway. overall, it's a great 1176 sound for way, way less than the competition. very well made too. single rack space is nice too.
Old 7th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
You'd think there'd be some kinda copyright issue with the Alan Smart unit...

Seeing as it's a C2s and not a C2 I don't think it's an issue. Plus the SE is an 1176 copy and the Alan Smart is an SSL copy so pretty opposite ends of the compression spectrum.
Old 7th April 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapfreak View Post
Seeing as it's a C2s and not a C2 I don't think it's an issue. Plus the SE is an 1176 copy and the Alan Smart is an SSL copy so pretty opposite ends of the compression spectrum.
I didn't realize that the "s" at the end was part of the model number; I thought people were referring to the unit in plural. My bad.

Although I don't think it would matter much what "flavor" of compression each unit did, if they shared the same name...
Old 7th April 2008
It works like an 1176, the tone is a little fuller in the low mids and not as crunchy and forward as the 1176 sound. I think this box might be THE most underrated piece in the industry (because if the general public realized what it was and how inexpensive it is for what it does they'd sell a billion of them).
Old 1st January 2009
Lives for gear

Anyone else have experience with this box? Very interested... How's it on Vox/Bass???
Old 1st January 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
It works like an 1176, the tone is a little fuller in the low mids and not as crunchy and forward as the 1176 sound. I think this box might be THE most underrated piece in the industry (because if the general public realized what it was and how inexpensive it is for what it does they'd sell a billion of them).
Hey Nathan,

Shuuuuuhhhhhhhhh, don't tell everybody.

We gotta keep this a secret!

LoL
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

i've had one for at least 4 yrs.
they have a sound.
its isnt an 1176.
but i like it.
never liked the metering.
i thought they stopped making them.
Old 6th January 2009
I think it leans towards Neve like another poster stated. The pots make recalls absolutely unthinkable... way sensitive and no detents. Sounds great, though!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search