The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need help with neve 1073 DPD.....
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Nut

Need help with neve 1073 DPD.....

Ok, here's the situation.... as asked by a good friend of mine....

"I have crap converters (old 16bit Adat Bridge) hooked up via lightpipe to an even more crappy O1v mixer leading into PT MIX +;

I have a project where all the sounds are high quality samples (so no problem with converters)..... now I need to add a vocal;

I'm thinking of getting hold of (something like) the Neve DPD (this was my suggestion, although I haven't heard it); so the question is, what happens to the sound when I plug the DPD AES into the adat bridge/O1v setup?

are the converters in the adat bridge completely bypassed, in favour of the far superior Neve conversion (so that the adat bridge is simply acting as a means to get audio into Pro Tools)? in other words, will the full glory of a decent mic through the 1073 end up unadulterated in my DAW.....?"

being thick(!), I was unable to answer this, so I'm here to ask GS's with far more braincells than me.....

He will, apparently, soon be upgrading to something like the Rosetta with PTmix card, but since all the rest of his sounds generally come from within his computer, I suggested the Neve option because you get a 1073 along with better converters....

Really appreciate answers on this,
Cheers,
Paul

EDIT: just thought of the new API pre as well, same thing would apply.......
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Think about it; if you plug into the digital input of any device, you must by definition be bypassing the A to D converter. thumbsup
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Think about it; if you plug into the digital input of any device, you must by definition be bypassing the A to D converter. thumbsup
Christ, I feel like a fool!!
thanks Max! (see I AM thick!!).....
so basically, he can plug anything into his adat bridge (prism, Lavry, mytek...whatever), and will get the full benefit? (so long as it goes in digitally lol!), thereby using the adatbridge merely as a "conduit" with no bearing on the sound of the system.....

one question though (I guess I know the answer, but just to clarify), does it matter at all that the ABridge is only 16bit?
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Nut

here's something else I can suggest to him; going out (AES) of the Adatbridge to a better D/A then to his (powered) monitors......

I guess that the whole 01v part of the chain would be irrelevant in this scenario? wouldn't need to use lightpipe to go to it at all; the only issue then would be a volume knob for the monitoring (if the D/A didn't have it).....

I am right aren't I???
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Nut

any other thoughts.......?
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

You're right. It's obvious but if you haven't gone thru all the connections before, you might not get it. I look at some digital gear manuals and read the same section three or four times and then I go 'huh?'

And yeah, just a volume control between the D/A and the monitors, although in a pinch I've gone straight from D/A to the amp and used an extra aux bus in the DAW to control the monitor vol.

You just gotta be real careful.
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Nut

cost wise, this seems to be the best solution; rather than budgeting for, say, a Rosetta 200 AND a great pre, he could buy the Neve 1073 DPD or API pre w/digi output (can't remember what it's called off-hand).... of course the D/A is more cost, but that can come later.

I don't know whether there will be any trade-off in quality, though, going this way as opposed to going from the DPA digitally into a Rosetta (i.e. having both); I'm guessing that the conversion quality of the Rosetta/Neve is comparible, so maybe there is no trade off, so nothing would be gained, in this case, by having a Rosetta (as long as the Neve/API goes into the Adatbridge digitally)
Old 22nd May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosticks
cost wise, this seems to be the best solution; rather than budgeting for, say, a Rosetta 200 AND a great pre, he could buy the Neve 1073 DPD or API pre w/digi output (can't remember what it's called off-hand).... of course the D/A is more cost, but that can come later.

I don't know whether there will be any trade-off in quality, though, going this way as opposed to going from the DPA digitally into a Rosetta (i.e. having both); I'm guessing that the conversion quality of the Rosetta/Neve is comparible, so maybe there is no trade off, so nothing would be gained, in this case, by having a Rosetta (as long as the Neve/API goes into the Adatbridge digitally)
Just figured I'd chime in that the API A2D features AES and SPDIF outputs... I don't believe the Neve outputs ADAT lightpipe either, so you would have to buy a conversion box to connect to an ADAT Bridge.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Tony how much can I get an a2d from you? I've been shooting out prices......
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Just figured I'd chime in that the API A2D features AES and SPDIF outputs... I don't believe the Neve outputs ADAT lightpipe either, so you would have to buy a conversion box to connect to an ADAT Bridge.
Hi Tony.... the Adat bridge has AES in and out......
Old 22nd May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosticks
Hi Tony.... the Adat bridge has AES in and out......
That's right, one of each... it's been a while.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
That's right, one of each... it's been a while.
and, even though the A-Bridge is the older 20 bit version, the AES is 24 bit.....
so there's no need, as far as I can see, to have a "better" Pro Tools interface (i.e. a 24 bit Adat Bridge, or 888/24 or even Apogee) in order to make full use of any other much higher quality A/D, D/A or whatever...... the Adat Bridge is just the connection to the Mix Card in the G4.

The only caveat would be that there would only be 2 channels out, so all mixing would have to be ITB

Please chime in if I'm wrong about any of this!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search