The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Jenson 990 vs M1?
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Maniac

Jenson 990 vs M1?

Hi!

Does anyone know the difference between these two john hardy preamps? I have the m1 and love love love it, can anyone let me know how the 990 differs?

Thanks!
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Does anyone know the difference between these two john hardy preamps? I have the m1 and love love love it, can anyone let me know how the 990 differs?
Actually, the "990" is the "Jensen Twin Servo 990 Mic Preamp". The main difference between the preamps is that the M-1 uses one 990C op-amp per channel, while the Jensen Twin Servo uses two 990C op-amps per channel. In theory, at very high gain settings, the Jensen Twin Servo would have somewhat less distortion because the gain is divided between two op-amps, each op-amp providing half as much gain as the single 990C of the M-1.

For example, if you need 60 dB of gain, you always get the first 5.6 dB of gain from the JT-16-B input transformer. The remaining 54.4 dB of gain is provided by one 990C in the M-1, or two 990C op-amps in series with each other at 27.2 dB each (54.4 dB total) in the Jensen Twin Servo. Even the 990C has limits on how high the gain can be before distortion starts to show up, although the M-1 does a very fine job at 60 dB of gain. I have modified several of them for even higher maximum gain for people using ribbon mics, and the results seem to be quite good.

John Hardy
The John Hardy Co.
www.johnhardyco.com
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear
All in all, they both sound great.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search