The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to get the Mariah Carey vocal sound..
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Addict

How to get the Mariah Carey vocal sound..

Of course - She's got the voice...

So now I am working with someone, with that type of airy, silky, pretty voice - The girl's got a LOT of air in the voice, which I really dig and want to bring out...

Using the 414 gave good results --- albeit, I'd like to have more top-end in the mic...

What do you guys recommend ? Think silk and exaggerated air - shhhhhh hhhhhhhh feeling ... mmm? .. So looking for another mic that's good for top-end breathy voices.. air air air air air -- what mic is that?

Any advices welcome thank you MDM
Old 20th May 2006
Maria C

Telefunken 251 neve 1073 channel
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

AT 4047.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Sony C800 or AKG C12.

www.bluethumbproductions.com
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

i thought she used sony c800 on an 1073
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

No problem . . .

This mic right here

You may want to put this one on a payment plan, but it's worth it.
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier777c
No problem . . .

This mic right here

Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice
AT 4047.
huh?
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice
AT 4047.

no way would mariah sing through one of those pices of garbage
Ive seen pics of her over the years in the studio singing through akg tubes
u47s etc..

If you saw her in front of an AT it must have been an interview at a radio
station or a voice over

That silly Mirah and an AT??

damn
Old 21st May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier777c
No problem . . .

This mic right here

lol

really THAT good, eh?
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
Of course - She's got the voice...
What do you guys recommend ? Think silk and exaggerated air - shhhhhh hhhhhhhh feeling ... mmm? .. So looking for another mic that's good for top-end breathy voices.. air air air air air -- what mic is that?

Yes, 95% of the time she sings into the C800G and either the 1073 or 1081 mic pre (depending on which studio she is at)...

and then again..

a good mixing engineer to polish it off...
Old 21st May 2006

I've already answered this question a dozen times.... C800G and lots of stacking. The Peluso 251 is also good for this if you don't have $7000 laying around....
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

don't forget, you'll need mariah too! (hehe, just being schmuck)
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Helium...
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Maniac

Tony B. what do you mean by "stacking"? Could you please elaborate? Thanking you.
Old 21st May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco
Tony B. what do you mean by "stacking"? Could you please elaborate? Thanking you.
"Stacking" or "layering" multiple takes..
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Maniac

Hi Tony,
Still not clear, do you mean recording several takes and then blending those using different eq, compression etc.?
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

I think what Tony means is whisper doubles( but i'll let him clarify) , you double the vocal with whispers , i usually do 2 slightly panned left and right .......

The other way can be to double the vocal and drop it in the backround centred and only treat the whipser range in the second voc , usually around 12-13k but could start from 8-10k up ! add this to the lead carved of most if its other frequency , its a similiar approach to spliting a kick in it's 3 elements hi-mid-lo and working on them individually , could also work with just a copy of the original vocal track if you find doubling takes away from the character , just don't forget delay compensation in your DAW to compensate from any plugs that can cause phase due to latency ....
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Maniac

HiRez, thanks very much for your help. Apologies for seeking clarification but do you mean asking the vocalist to literally whisper along with the original vocal track? Thanks.
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
HiRez, thanks very much for your help. Apologies for seeking clarification but do you mean asking the vocalist to literally whisper along with the original vocal track? Thanks.
Absolutely Rossco , if you have the Kelly Clarkson record Breakaway handy , put on track 6 'Addicted' where Serban Ghenea has made the whisper track quite obvious .

Good luck
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

BTW If you want to hear airy vocal production at their best , listen to Brandy's 'Have You Ever' CD , that is the pinacle of that style of vocal production IMHO , great record sonically as well .
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

I don't know why others called AT4047 a crap, it's indeed a very good choice. But remeber that what I think Bob Olhsson said once: you can put almost anything in front of a real good singer, the result will be good. This wasn't a quote, but you have the idea.
Regards Tamas Dragon
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Maniac

HiRez thanks very much for your reply. I will track down those recordings and listen up. Cheers mate.
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Addict

Thank all of you -

The C800 and Neve preamp seem to be anyway kinda standard for R&B

Can you tell me more about the Peluso 251 mic please -- tou say it is a good alternative... and saves a big buck.

Great some folks brought up the 'whisper-track' and stacking ... these sort of techniques are all part of that sound ..

thanks mdm
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
Thank all of you -

I don't know about the latest record she made but doesn't she use Avalon 2022 or M5?
Old 21st May 2006
Tommy M & Sony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
Thank all of you -

Can you tell me more about the Peluso 251 mic please -- tou say it is a good alternative... and saves a big buck.

Great some folks brought up the 'whisper-track' and stacking ... these sort of techniques are all part of that sound ..

thanks mdm
I think she can get the $18000 dollars for a perfect non Pseudo 251
and Tommy puts a ****ty cheap Sony mic in her face for Photo opps.
You guess.
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz
BTW If you want to hear airy vocal production at their best , listen to Brandy's 'Have You Ever' CD , that is the pinacle of that style of vocal production IMHO , great record sonically as well .
Part of that sound (Brandy) is singing through Auto Tune on an Aux.

www.bluethumbproductions.com
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

I think this sony mic is redicously over hyped, how good it sounds will depend on the voice of singer and alot of times other high quallity mics can give as good or better results in my experience.
Old 21st May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
Thank all of you -

thanks mdm
The Peluso 251 is reminiscent of the open top end of the ELAM251... It's great for getting that open airy sound without the harshness typically associated with lesser expensive condensers. But, if you have a stack of cash, then by all means pick up a C800G.
Old 21st May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz
I think what Tony means is whisper doubles( but i'll let him clarify) , you double the vocal with whispers , i usually do 2 slightly panned left and right .......

The other way can be to double the vocal and drop it in the backround centred and only treat the whipser range in the second voc , usually around 12-13k but could start from 8-10k up ! add this to the lead carved of most if its other frequency , its a similiar approach to spliting a kick in it's 3 elements hi-mid-lo and working on them individually , could also work with just a copy of the original vocal track if you find doubling takes away from the character , just don't forget delay compensation in your DAW to compensate from any plugs that can cause phase due to latency ....
Quote:
Yes, what H-Rezz was describing is exactly what I meant....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search