The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to get the Mariah Carey vocal sound..
Old 26th June 2006
Gear Head

Why would anybody want that dfegad sound? Mariah Carey is a wonderful singer, obviously, but on record her vocals always sounds like crap. I swear some dude is patching in a whole chain of exciters with all knobs at 11.

Her voice deserves natural tone, cause she has a good voice.

Reminds me of the horrible vocals on Def Leppard's Hysteria. Distorted highs. Sounds like when I'm shaving in the morning.

Kill the producer.
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

I rather know what Kelly Clarkson's chain is. heh
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
Garbage?
Well, one mans trash is another mans treasure right? The 4033, 47, 50 and 60 all have good quality parts and construction and 4047 is fairly smooth for a fet in regards to noise while still having a little bite.

Ray Charles vocals on his final album were recorded with an AT4060 after they decided that the Neumanns and Brauners just didn't fit right with his voice. One mic works better on that singer - on that day - for that song - in that room.
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapp
an even bigger part of the sound is her voice....
That is the most important aspect of the whole thread.

Substitute just one of these items, and tell me which makes the most difference:

1. Microphone
2. Preamp
3. Compressor
4. Singer

If you picked "4", you are correct.

This is what is wrong with the hyper-technical orientation of many of the questions I see these days. The human factor is marginalized, I think mostly because producers and engineers want to be the stars themselves. So the tech aspect is magnified out of proportion.

Mariah Carey has tone and chops for days, whether you personally are into her style or not. As such, there are at least 8-10 great mics that would deliver her undamaged. Same with preamps and compressors. But you're not going to get her tone without her standing there, whatever you do with the electrons, and what works on her may not happen for somebody else.

Failure to understand the above will lead to a bunch of frustration, ultimately.
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

Damn right!

Good call Brian... and very well said

Peace and get the best of your vocalist thats it thats all!!
Old 26th June 2006
Gear Addict

very well said

So - as I said : This person HAS the MAriah Carey air-type voice and the musical baggage to pull it off

So - I went for 1,2, and 3 !

A Tube Tch CL1b as a compressor seems right

and I think I'll get the Peluso 22 521 ... ehr 251 I meant
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
I've already answered this question a dozen times.... C800G and lots of stacking. The Peluso 251 is also good for this if you don't have $7000 laying around....
I 2nd this... is the 521 the new tube one John put out? Or do you mean 251?
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapp
..the pre amps has been mainly either the Red 7 or the 1073 with a 33609C or J...(on the last 3 or 4 albums)....moving between the 2 choices depending on the type of song....there have been other variations in quick o/d situations......the 414 was used mostly on the first album and some on the 2nd as well as the U67.....an even bigger part of the sound is her voice....
Can I ask how the Neve compressors are used? Is this just for limiting, or is there some real reduction being used here.
Personally I love the Neve's, but there aren't that many people I've seen using them in the tracking chain. Great results though IMO!!
Old 26th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Cloud
I 2nd this... is the 521 the new tube one John put out? Or do you mean 251?
I think he means 251... The new mic is the P12, which is similar to a C12.
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Many times on the early records it was a C800G -> Focusrite Red->ADL1000.....Add lots of 14k at the mix.
Lots of vocal takes & comping....... i've seen 2-3348's full of LV takes to comp from, and all the takes were great, just lots of choices. She's just an incredible singer.
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
Of course - She's got the voice...

So now I am working with someone, with that type of airy, silky, pretty voice - The girl's got a LOT of air in the voice, which I really dig and want to bring out...

Using the 414 gave good results --- albeit, I'd like to have more top-end in the mic...

What do you guys recommend ? Think silk and exaggerated air - shhhhhh hhhhhhhh feeling ... mmm? .. So looking for another mic that's good for top-end breathy voices.. air air air air air -- what mic is that?

Any advices welcome thank you MDM

EQ. Sometimes simple is better.

TH
Old 1st July 2006
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishbashbosh
Can I ask how the Neve compressors are used? Is this just for limiting, or is there some real reduction being used here.
Personally I love the Neve's, but there aren't that many people I've seen using them in the tracking chain. Great results though IMO!!
The neve compressors are used for compression? Just a guess
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Part of that sound (Brandy) is singing through Auto Tune on an Aux.

www.bluethumbproductions.com

what do you mean exactly? sending vocals like an effect to a aux track with autotune inserted?
Old 5th April 2008
Lives for gear

B2 Pro thru Mic Pre4400
heh
Old 4th October 2009
Lives for gear
Try DSM preset "Mariah"

... not dfegad
Old 6th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
That is the most important aspect of the whole thread.

Substitute just one of these items, and tell me which makes the most difference:

1. Microphone
2. Preamp
3. Compressor
4. Singer

If you picked "4", you are correct.

This is what is wrong with the hyper-technical orientation of many of the questions I see these days. The human factor is marginalized, I think mostly because producers and engineers want to be the stars themselves. So the tech aspect is magnified out of proportion.

Mariah Carey has tone and chops for days, whether you personally are into her style or not. As such, there are at least 8-10 great mics that would deliver her undamaged. Same with preamps and compressors. But you're not going to get her tone without her standing there, whatever you do with the electrons, and what works on her may not happen for somebody else.

Failure to understand the above will lead to a bunch of frustration, ultimately.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search