The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to get the Mariah Carey vocal sound..
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

You can also get a modified dolby-a and get the air using it ... famous trick ...
I'll expand if u want, but u can do a little search.
M
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black
You can also get a modified dolby-a and get the air using it ... famous trick ...
I'll expand if u want, but u can do a little search.
M
You dont need to mod it.....Just dont decode the encoded dolby-a track and mix it in with the original vocal.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
So looking for another mic that's good for top-end breathy voices
M 149 can do this. Think Sarah McLachlan Surfacing and Afterglow.

Steve
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
You dont need to mod it.....Just dont decode the encoded dolby-a track and mix it in with the original vocal.
You need to mod it if you want to avoid phase issues, it ads the encoded signal to the original signal and you don't need to mix it with another channel.
Mixing it with the original signal (something u do when u have an unmoded one) rarely works and it sounds crap IMO.

I found this with a quick search.
http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:...k&ct=clnk&cd=1
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Be careful about jumping on a C800 based on reputation. I've heard some hoooorrible vocals cut with one of those on the wrong person. Some people just don't need that air and clarity, ya know? Sadly, studios that own it tend to just put it up for bling factor and it's definitely not an all-rounder.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice
AT 4047.
no way would mariah sing through one of those pices of garbage
Garbage?
Old 22nd May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv
Be careful about jumping on a C800 based on reputation. I've heard some hoooorrible vocals cut with one of those on the wrong person. Some people just don't need that air and clarity, ya know? Sadly, studios that own it tend to just put it up for bling factor and it's definitely not an all-rounder.
I agree and have said this many times... After owning a C800G for many years, I often found an SM57 more versatile. But, with the right singer the C800G is truly remarkable.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Tony thanks very much for your responses. Fascinating stuff. Going to try it out and start experimenting. Also thanks for your info re. the Peluso 251, sounds like a great, (almost affordable!) contender. Roll on Santa!
Old 22nd May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
Garbage?
yeah, Alan Parsons would beg to differ - his favorite mic for a while was the 4033

I, personally, LOVE AT mics.

some folks love rode mics.

i've had only BAD experiences with them.

whatever, different strokes.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins
no way would mariah sing through one of those pices of garbage
I just tossed mine in the dustbin. Thanks for the bulletin.
Old 22nd May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco
Tony thanks very much for your responses. Fascinating stuff. Going to try it out and start experimenting. Also thanks for your info re. the Peluso 251, sounds like a great, (almost affordable!) contender. Roll on Santa!
Glad to help.. Talk to you later!
Old 22nd May 2006
jzb
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye
yeah, Alan Parsons would beg to differ - his favorite mic for a while was the 4033
I've had good luck with the 4033 in front of undisciplined singers.

-jzb
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Maniac

I agree with that. If someone can't control their dynamics, or isn't used to "good" mics, the 4033 is a good choice if you don't want to spend the time to school them. Good for a quick hip-hop demo session or some such. I wouldn't want to use it on a finished product, but for a quick rough, it is a forgiving microphone.

That said, another thing you'll need to get the "Mariah" sound is someone that sings sharp. Am I the only one on the planet that notices that? Between her and Kenny G, I go running for the earplugs. Slightly flat = sexy/sultry. Slightly sharp = shrill/crazy. Pass the Autotune, please.
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Head

Mariah's microphone, 99.9% of the time, is the Sony C800G.......pretty much since 1993....most of the mics in various promo photos have been props put up by the photographers......the pre amps has been mainly either the Red 7 or the 1073 with a 33609C or J...(on the last 3 or 4 albums)....moving between the 2 choices depending on the type of song....there have been other variations in quick o/d situations......the 414 was used mostly on the first album and some on the 2nd as well as the U67.....an even bigger part of the sound is her voice....
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Part of that sound (Brandy) is singing through Auto Tune on an Aux.

www.bluethumbproductions.com
Autotune on an 'AUX' and then blended together with the original signal? Never tried that..interesting idea though
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapp
Mariah's microphone, 99.9% of the time, is the Sony C800G.......pretty much since 1993....most of the mics in various promo photos have been props put up by the photographers......the pre amps has been mainly either the Red 7 or the 1073 with a 33609C or J...(on the last 3 or 4 albums)....moving between the 2 choices depending on the type of song....there have been other variations in quick o/d situations......the 414 was used mostly on the first album and some on the 2nd as well as the U67.....an even bigger part of the sound is her voice....
Thanks for your input and finally putting this to bed Dana.

Guess that ends this thread ;-)

PS - Forgot to mention that you often blend and preprocess (EQ/reverb, etc) the vocals before sending them to be mixed.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

C-12 through an Avalon 737.
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvdr76
C-12 through an Avalon 737.

I think she uses an Avalon M5.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rguaguanco
Autotune on an 'AUX' and then blended together with the original signal? Never tried that..interesting idea though
Wouldn't that just chorus on the out of tune notes?
Old 5th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaray
I think she uses an Avalon M5.

Do you guys not know who Dchapp is?
Old 5th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
I do...

http://www.danajonchappelle.com/imag...bum_Covers.htm
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
I've always thought you were him.....

ruudman
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

I remember being at Record One when MC was recording she used 2 mics and had all the furnature taken out of the studio (sofa's tables lamps) so she could have her own brought in!
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Head

most likely was a BG vocal session and the room was probably the little o/d booth (I forget the studio, if it's called A or B...the one with the small o/d booth)....furniture was taken out to make room for the BG singers....and director type chairs were put in...MC only ever did/does vocals to one mic.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

The tracking room in Record One is a pretty good size. and no they took the furnature out of the control room.
I must have been seeing doulbe there were 2 different mics
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Head

ah--- I remember the rooms....I just couldn't remember which was A and which was B.......I do remember taking furniture out of different control rooms to make room for 2- 3348's.....Sometimes she would want to create a living room type of set up out in the tracking room for the "vibe".....done that a few times......anyway......
Old 5th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapp
ah--- I remember the rooms....I just couldn't remember which was A and which was B.......I do remember taking furniture out of different control rooms to make room for 2- 3348's.....Sometimes she would want to create a living room type of set up out in the tracking room for the "vibe".....done that a few times......anyway......
nice, you should come work at my place/sofa
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Head

Tobias..........very nice place you have there...sofa looks especially comfortable!
Old 26th June 2006
Gear Addict

What about a C12 ??
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

U87 + LA2 + (pre of the week ), CRAAAAANK the top all the way up until the plaster on the walls has little lazer beam sized holes in 'em.

Next (& this step is crucial) a dbx 902 desser cranked to stop the lazer beamed sized holes.

Air.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search