Is it worth spending $3000 on a mic?
Old 24th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by commaKaze
N - O.
To quote Sheryl Crow,

"If it makes you happy..."

I disagree with the above poster.

When it's right, it's absolutely blissful. And worth all of $3000 or $5000 or $8000.

And having a mic that works 90% of the time is a blessing in the studio. Everyone has to search for their own "right mic." I haven't been disappointed in my ELUX 251 yet. Worth every cent. Of course I have others that I use as well.

Is it worth it for you to buy one, given your experience and your budget? I doubt it. I gave you my opinion on that earlier in this thread. But to answer the title question "Is it worth spending $3000 on a mic?" I would say,

"For the right mic? You bet."
Old 24th July 2006
Gear Addict
How's this for a suggestion - find a studio with a large mic collection and rent an hour or 2 in the off-peak time and just go thru all their mics. Take your guitar or other instruments if they're portable. try it out on their piano.

Henry
Old 24th July 2006
Lives for gear

We've had sessions where a 57 beat out a 47 ..and on a good singer.
Old 24th July 2006
if you wanna take

allen collins word

over

allan parsons word

(creative mastermind engineer / producer
behind Dark Side of the Moon,
only the most highly consistently charting recording in history),

go for it. heh

Audio Technica just happens to make one of Alan Parsons favorite LDCs,

the 4033, which he prefers over his neumanns, btw.

this also happens to be one of my favorite mics,

and as Lynn Fuston also illustrated, a mic he has picked out
over other more expensive mics.

needless to say, Lynn also has great ears.

i've done records with Hugh Padgham in the UK.
(producer / engineer Sting, Police, Genesis, Phil Collins, etc.)

at that time, he loved my vocal sound - what was i using?

you wanna tell people to stay away from Audio Technica,

you must have a good reason, but it certainly is not relevant to everyone.

and there are PLENTY of seriously successful people using their mics.

i've chosen ATs over countless other mics, more and less expensive,
in countless situations.

but, hey, whatever floats your boat.

good luck.
Old 24th July 2006
Lives for gear
Yeah, the AT4033 is a cool mic for sure. I've used it on vocals & the results were great. Sometimes it just fits the bill....but back to the issue at hand.....$6500 is a mediocre decent budget for a vocal mic, converters, and pre's. Taking $3000 out for the mic eats up too much cash since you still need converters and pre's. I'd go with a $1500-$2000 vocal mic. There are so many options out there right now. You can find a killer vocal mic in that range & it'll smoke anything you currently have (on most sources). Leaves much more options for your converters and pre's. Great tube pre's are very expensive. A 2 channel Presonus ADL-600 is $2k!...and you don't wanna skimp on quality pre's. Good luck.
Old 24th July 2006
Lives for gear

I would start by determining what else I need and what those costs are going to be. Top shelf converters alone could kill that budget.

I think you need to price out everything you need and then make budget decisions accordingly. I think an AT 4050 for example would serve very well initially, allow funds for other important items now and still be a very usable piece even after other mics are added later.
Old 24th July 2006
Lives for gear

If you're asking: "Is there a noticable difference in $3k+ LDCs and Sub $1k LDCs?"

yes.

If you're asking, "Is the difference worth the expense in the grand scheme with whatever other bottlenecks there are in my system?"

Only you can answer that. Rent and find out.

If you're asking, "I have a total studio budget of $6500...should I spend $3k of it on a single LDC?"

The answer is probably not. Unless it's a project studio and the only thing being recorded live are vocals and acoustic guitar. In that case...maybe. Still, that would have to assume there's a lot of other stuff around. If you've got nada, and the buget is $6500--no way you need a $3k mic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search