The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MIXING OUTTA PROTOOLS ON AN ANALOG DESK
Old 20th May 2006
Here for the gear

MIXING OUTTA PROTOOLS ON AN ANALOG DESK

Hey guys, ok im mixing out of a protools LE system ( 002 rack ) into a Tascam M700 console. Now i have 16 out's of my PT's rig and when doing a mix i set all 16 channels im mixing too on the desk to unity. I do this so when recalling mixes for clients it takes a lot less messin around as all the levels are saved in tools. Is this ok to mix's like this or should i set my tool's levels to unity ?? any help would be wicked

cheers boyz !

MD
Old 20th May 2006
Led
Lives for gear

Hi,
If you want to take the best approach to gain structuring then you should be running the converters at unity and adjusting your mix with the console faders. That way you're using the full dynamic range of the converter. This is easier said than done if you don't have automation and want to swap jobs quickly.
Mix something both ways and a/b them...see if you like one better.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

I think it depends.

For easy recall I would set the Tascams fader to unity but then you don't use all your bits in the digital domain of the tracks. So for best resolution and noise performance you should feed your Tascam as hot as you like without distortion.

It's a free world full of choices!

/Cojo
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led
Hi,
If you want to take the best approach to gain structuring...
You type fast my friend, and I'm eating apples at the same time! Next time I will beat you! heh

/Cojo
Old 20th May 2006
Here for the gear

yeah right, when you say run the converters at unity, you mean my protools levels ? ? my D/A converter aint got gain controls. So the closest to unity you run in tools the better the quality yeah ? so if that was the caes it would be better to run tools as hot as i can then mix on the desk.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

this question is in high end?

Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've done it several different ways over the years. For the best gain structure, you should set your DAW faders to unity, set your console faders to unity, then use the console's line input trims to set the basic balances. Nobody does this, but it's the proper way to set-up the gain stucture on a console, just using the faders for moves.
I tend to start with the DAW faders at unity, as well as the drum and vocal console faders at unity (setting their levels with the input trims.) For guitar and bass I tend to do it "improperly", hammering the line inputs with too much gain and pulling the faders back. That's just for a starting static mix, after that I use the DAW faders for automated moves and the console faders for live trims.
So I guess my answer is to use them all for what their best for, and gain stage properly unless doing it "improperly" works better...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search