The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tube tech MP1A, TABV78M or UA 2-610?
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Tube tech MP1A, TABV78M or UA 2-610?

I still haven't decided wich Tube Pre to go for,
the TAB seems to be the best value, the MP1A is more expensive but apparently
very nice, and the UA in between price wise and I heard sounds good too.

Can you help me deciding, I'm in France and here there's noway to borrow them for tests.

Thx

Jean
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

I haven't heard the TAB yet but I can say that the 2-610 is a good pre, and as a bonus it has a basic EQ section. In the price range of the Tube-Tech, which is a great pre (better IMO than the Manleys) you might consider a DW Fearn. You would only get one channel rather than two on the Tube-Tech, but the Fearn is absolutely sublime. There are no PCBs and point-to-point wiring is employed throughout the design. Doug Fearn personally tests and signs each one. I can't afford one myself but I get to use one at my friend's studio and boy does it bring a smile to my face!

D. W. Fearn Website

J.D.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yes they seem quite amazing..but beyond budget here too.
I do need two channels though, that would bring the price way up!
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Are you sure you need a tube pre?

If you are considering this purchase to be a primary preamp that you will use on most material, the Great River pres are a good choice. My second choice would be a Vintech X73; sounds like a Neve and everyone (most everyone) likes that! The X73i is only $1550 with the power supply. Then you could focus on the mics, the converters (I recommend Lavry if you want "clean and nuanced" and Apogee if you want "rock"), and any other outboard gear you may want for your studio.

JMHOs.

J.D.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

No, actually it won't be primary preamps, they'll share duties with a UA2108 and a DAV BG1. So I do want valve pres to have a good variety of tones.
I'm not really follow the Neve craze, I used some Neve outboard and wasn't particulary impressed.
As far as converters go, it will be Lynx Aurora.

Thanks for your input,

Jean
Old 14th August 2007
Gear Head

tube-tech mp1a mains power bulb

hello, i'm looking for a replacement bulb for the red light's mains power(fender twin reverb style). it's a screewed model marked 0,05A and 36 V (36 volts???) does it make sense ???? anyone can give me some help?
thanks for your answer !
m_o
Old 14th August 2007
Gear Guru

i'd tell you to get the peach, but then you'd just want to sell all your other pre's.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 14th August 2007
Gear Maniac

2-610 all the way IMO. Sounds great on mostly everything, with exception being hard percussion or drums. I use it with a Distressor and Peluso 2247 LE for vocals and it's awesome. Hard to beat......
Old 14th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
i'd tell you to get the peach, but then you'd just want to sell all your other pre's.

gregoire
del
ubk
Sorry---

don't need the Peach when I can have the DAV.
don't need the Peach when I can have the EAR.
thankyasomuch,
Plush
Old 14th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanogil View Post
I'm not really follow the Neve craze, I used some Neve outboard and wasn't particulary impressed.
Same here, still love Great River.
TAB 78 is very good indeed and pricewise no brainer. I like it on many sources, very similar and close to legendary V72S.
Even with bigger budget this one is worth to have. I would pick it over 610 anytime.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search