The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Power On? or Power Off?
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Power On? or Power Off?

A general opinion of mine with computers (have owned macs since they made a Mac IIfx) is to have them on protected and conditioned power, and then leave them on all the time. Most problems happen when you turn them off.. and then back on. But, what is the general concensus with audio gear? Consoles? Tape Machines? Outboard Gear? Leave it on all the time.. or turn it on and off daily?
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWallStudio
A general opinion of mine with computers (have owned macs since they made a Mac IIfx) is to have them on protected and conditioned power, and then leave them on all the time. Most problems happen when you turn them off.. and then back on. But, what is the general concensus with audio gear? Consoles? Tape Machines? Outboard Gear? Leave it on all the time.. or turn it on and off daily?
A 30% price increase in electricity is being phased in here on the east coast, USA. I definitely power down when I'm not working.
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Nut
My general rule of thumb is leave everything on unless it has a motor or an LCD. So tape machines, Computer screens off, Consoles, Outboard, pres etc on. I also like to leave valves on but others don't think it's a good idea.
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Here's another discussion on the matter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search