The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Purple LilPeqr vs Purple ODD EQs for mixdown 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 25th March 2012
Gear Head

Purple LilPeqr vs Purple ODD EQs for mixdown

I'm looking for a pair of EQs (or a stereo EQ, of course) for the mix buss and, after listening to samples from many sources, am trying to decide between these two. (Well, you know know how it is..... I have ended up here after considering both the A-Designs and JLM PEQ-500s.... it feels like these are the right call on many levels.)

The LilPeqr samples I've heard are amazing and it seems like it'll do just what I want on the 2-buss. But then, of course, I start wondering if I shouldn't try to get something with more frequencies that I could also use for other applications.

My impression is that the ODD doesn't quite have the same girth and sparkle as the LilPeqr. Perhaps it's not intended to. Has anyone used it on the 2-buss? There seem to be a few options for getting them used right now at a good price..... which is both appealing and makes you wonder why folks are selling them, you know?

So...... I'm leaning towards the Purple LilPeqrs..... And figuring they will come in handy during tracking too, even with limited frequency choices.

BTW, I'm using a passive summing network to mix and then Great River MP500-NV pres for make-up gain. I would use these afterwards, before a final compressor/limiter. (Radar Classic D/A from the DAW, which I love, and then Weiss A/D for final stereo conversion at the end of the chain, love it!)
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Get the lilpeqr. You don't really want that many options on the 2bus do you? Just set and forget.

Also, since you are summing passively, I would also consider a couple of those LEVR make-up amps. It is different from using a preamp (current summing).
Old 25th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by voidar View Post
Get the lilpeqr. You don't really want that many options on the 2bus do you? Just set and forget.

Also, since you are summing passively, I would also consider a couple of those LEVR make-up amps. It is different from using a preamp (current summing).
Running the JCF LEVR modules on my passive setup, they are amazing for the money. As well I just bought myself an ODD, and mee thinks, that these modules will never leave my shop!! Definitely think the LILPEQR is awesome sounding, for making things "bloom". These are useful beyond the stereo bus application. Like giving your ribbons some love up top, and making thin condensers have bottom. I also dig the TAV for correcting problems and still sounding musical. Its soft and warm sounding, which is also similar to the way to the ODD sounds.
Old 25th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
These are useful beyond the stereo bus application. Like giving your ribbons some love up top, and making thin condensers have bottom.
Glad you're diggin' those roc. But for an opposing point of view, the LilPEQr's - I have the gold faced originals - will also work wonderfully for putting some top on Ribbons and bottom on thin sources. But, it is a TONE CONTROL more than an EQ. At least that's the way I look at it. I have not used the ODD's, but I am assuming that they are much more "flexable" than the LILPEQr's. There are good reason's for all EQ styles, but I find the LilPEQr's excellent for the 2 buss. Mine are ALWAYS on the 2Buss with a touch of boost on the "air" band, and usually nothing else. Love em.....
Old 25th March 2012
Gear Head

I think Roc actually was saying that the LilPeqrs would give some sweet air on top of ribbons and add warmth in the low end to thin sounding condensers. Pretty sure, reading back, that he had stopped referring to the ODD EQs by then and was on to the LilPeqrs....

All this advice is very helpful. I think I will be getting a pair of LilPeqrs now, because my main concern is getting that "bloom" on the final mix.

I have a pair of 560s I'm using for drums. Sounds like the TAVs are perhaps much sweeter. The 560s just do that thang and I love them for that. But I do find them a bit more limited in other applications. Seems, overall, like the Purple EQs are maybe a bit mellower, in a good way, and more versatile.... I've found it hard to get API EQs to work on anything but fairly aggressive stuff... when you want them, there's nothing like them, but given the wide range of what I do, which includes a lot of acoustic material and film scoring, I might make a move towards more Purple EQs...

Thanks again for thoughts and advice.
Old 25th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou Fabulous View Post
I think Roc actually was saying that the LilPeqrs would give some sweet air on top of ribbons and add warmth in the low end to thin sounding condensers. Pretty sure, reading back, that he had stopped referring to the ODD EQs by then and was on to the LilPeqrs....
heh heh Yeah, I think you're right. That's what I get for typing before coffee in the AM. LOL I'm sure you'd love either, but I know I will never sell the LilPEQr's. I got the last 2 of the original gold faced run by sheer luck, but i've heard the purple ones are excellent as well.
Old 25th March 2012
yep! Agree DB! TONE!!! the result is very unique and there is a harmonic quality/interaction and mystical fairy dust on each knob, that really sets itself apart from other weapons of compensation.

I would say, the ODD is a great flavor adder, & flavor savor...it feels really good to me, and has a very non obtrusive ability to shape, craft and bend stuff, (great for broad tonal enhancement) but it adds something really nice to the signal that you might notice in all purple hardware.
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

The fact is at the end of the day your going to want both I would go Odd first for the versitility. While the Odd isn't surgical it's a great all round EQ for some Tone control. It's not a problem solver Ala SSL or Speck. This is a good thing for a first EQ because you don't rely on it for bad micing choices, you use to enhance your mic choices !
The LilPeq is A tone monster great piece but unless you have something like a Odd or API your going to find yourself banging your head because it's just not powerfully enough!
My dream is for the gange at purple to build a true parameteric or ODd plus !
Old 25th March 2012
Gear Head

I agree I'll want both, for sure. Bottom line is that when I really need something super surgical, something to solve a problem that needs incredibly precise frequency and Q control, I'm going to end up doing that in the digital domain. I'm not looking for my outboard gear to give me that....... it's handled to efficiently in the digital realm and, hopefully, if I've tracked things well, that kind of stuff doesn't come up to often.

And in general, for now, I think I may rely on plug-ins for more individual track EQing and go for the LilPeqrs on the stereo buss. After all this feedback it really feels like the right call, especially for this important mix (my solo record, for a change) that's coming up....

And, down the road, I'll look at other 500 series EQs for individual tracks, both during tracking and mixdown....

Thanks for all help on this.... I'm narrowing it down and it's feeling right.
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Yep, DDA's on it. They're both great and would both do the job you're looking for them to handle. Why not buy one of each, decide which you like better, and then exchange one of them so you have a pair?
Old 25th March 2012
Gear Head

Good idea Marc, for sure and thanks for the input.... would normally be the way to go for me...

But I'm a bit hurried here, time-wise.... I've finally pushed my own CD to the front burner and am going to mix it within the next two weeks. (Heading back from tour in the UK on Tuesday.)

I need to make some decisions fairly quickly and then dive all the way in....... and, I hope, not come up for surface, gear-wise, until a brand new baby CD is born unto the world!

I'm thinking the LilPeqr may be the better call for now, to give the whole mix the sheen and bottom end that I want... and then I will craft the tracks more with UAD plug-in EQs......

As I said in a previous post, I sort of wish I had something other than 560s in a way, because I will use them on electric tracks, heavily, but feel they will sit idle during acoustic tracks. I could see the ODD being a compromise there, in a great way..... but am probably locked into the 560s for drum tones at this point....
Old 25th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou Fabulous View Post
I agree I'll want both, for sure. Bottom line is that when I really need something super surgical, something to solve a problem that needs incredibly precise frequency and Q control, I'm going to end up doing that in the digital domain.

Fix problems with a nice ITB EQ, add some mojo with the LilPEQr's.
Old 25th March 2012
Gear Head

Thanks, drBill, that's feeling like the right solution. Great to get some feedback that helps make this call.... everything I've heard from the LilPeqrs imparted some magic that I want, for now, and have a feeling I will soon need!

Cool thing is, the Weiss converters I have on the final stereo A/D won't lose any of the magic it can bring....... that makes me happy.... that was a lot of dough, of course, but worth it when every single thing you've done comes down to that last stage. (Actually makes me want to make sure mastering engineers aren't going through one more D/A to A/D at that stage...)
Old 29th October 2012
Lives for gear

I'm curious about the LilPeqs. They seem like they could be a good value for the 2 buss.

JROD
Old 15th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Fix problems with a nice ITB EQ, add some mojo with the LilPEQr's.
Seems like just the right plan, in combination with a nice buss compressor like the SB4001, yes?
Old 15th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
Seems like just the right plan, in combination with a nice buss compressor like the SB4001, yes?
Yes. I can see you've found the pathway grasshoppah.....
Old 15th December 2012
Gear Addict

lil pegr

i have a pair of lil peqr i usually use them to EQ reverbs and delays. they do a great job with that. they sound nice on drums too, but i find their simplicity might limit their use on a 2 bus
Old 15th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneshowell View Post
i have a pair of lil peqr i usually use them to EQ reverbs and delays. they do a great job with that. they sound nice on drums too, but i find their simplicity might limit their use on a 2 bus
I can see how some might feel that way. Personally, I'm a "fix it on the actual tracks not on the 2 bus" kind of guy, and usually only add a touch of "air" on the 2 buss - preferring to EQ individual tracks over the broad picture. Occasionally I will add a little bottom or cut with it, but even that is becoming more rare for me these days. Certainly if one needs their 2 buss EQ to do more corrective surgery they should look elsewhere.
Old 15th December 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneshowell View Post
I use LILPEQrs on the 2-mix to add or subtract bass and treble, and to help with textural softening and harmonic thickening. Then I'll follow them with a GML or something similarly surgical in order to fix freq response peaks/holes and L/R tonal symmetry. Setup the spectral "soundstage" with a primitive box, and then refine it with a sophisticated one.

I'm the same way with compressors, i.e. ELOP followed by SSL. I just find better end results are had making successive tiny adjustments across multiple devices.
Old 16th December 2012
Ordered my LILPEQrs today from Zen. Should have them by mid-week. I'm excited! Thank to Warren for great service as always...
Old 16th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Yes. I can see you've found the pathway grasshoppah.....
LOL...yup
Old 16th December 2012
here's a question for ya. so do people chain the various items from one to the other, or do they use different inserts in the DAW? just curious...
Old 16th December 2012
Gear Guru

Personally, I don't use the inserts on the 2 buss at all. Out different outputs, into the "chain" and back into inputs on the interface. I'll use inserts on individual tracks though.
Old 16th December 2012
you chain each outboard piece to the next one, cool. I decided to use an insert so I could have a meter on the 2-buss after the chain just to make sure all is ok.
Old 16th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
you chain each outboard piece to the next one, cool. I decided to use an insert so I could have a meter on the 2-buss after the chain just to make sure all is ok.
I have a meter on the 2 bus as well. The track I'm recording the chain to is bussed to the master L/R buss.
Old 16th December 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
here's a question for ya. so do people chain the various items from one to the other,
Yes, while taking into account the I/O impedance, headroom, and line driving capabilities from one piece of gear to the next.

Quote:
or do they use different inserts in the DAW? just curious...
No, I don't use any more DAW processing, plug-ins, or digital conversion than I have to. The stem (or full) mix is analog and then I pile on the outboard gear before returning to a pair of A/D inputs to print. In cases where the converters sound relatively harmless and the available console/outboard provides an irresistible glue, I will convert all of my tracks/stems to analog and back two or three times over the course of a project... same as bouncing with tape

Admittedly, my software avoidance stems from the days of Pro Tools III with it's 16-bit mixer and converters, where you could hear every little fader move causing degradation. Things are A LOT better now, and I've certainly gotten by without any analog, but in terms of hardware integration I'd much prefer to treat the DAW solely as a multitrack.
Old 17th December 2012
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundKlang View Post
Was looking for sound examples for too long again until i remembered:

Clipalator: Audio and Video | Studio Gear Shootouts @ ZenProAudio.com

They offer dry files and the same dry files processed with different outboard gear. The Purple Audio LilPEQr, ODD and TAV are among them.
I need to get my videos done on the Purple 500 series but am way behind on them. I have them all done on the video side though.

Quote:
Ordered my LILPEQrs today from Zen. Should have them by mid-week. I'm excited! Thank to Warren for great service as always...
Thanks for letting us take care of you.

War
Old 3rd September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I need to get my videos done on the Purple 500 series but am way behind on them. I have them all done on the video side though.
Hello War,
I tried to find the Purple demos, but there is no one on youtube,
could you upload them?

thanks in advance
best.
Old 14th February 2017
Lilpeqr

I have both Lilpeqr and ODD.
Lilpeqr wins on mix-bus. I use the ODD for single channels for general tone shaping... Software eq for precision sculpting.. And Lilpeqr for magical glue to make the mix sound focused and large.
The ODD's 12khz isn't high enough for a mix bus eq.. Nor 75hz low enough. I use 50hz and AIR on lilpeqr to achieve my desired results.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search