All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anybody got a U87 and TLM67?
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear
Anybody got a U87 and TLM67?

Love to hear how they compare...
Old 25th March 2012
Gear Addict

I had a TLM67 for a while. I also have a U87Ai. Probably wont get rid of the Ai. The TLM67 was cool but it seemed to take a lot more EQ to get it right in a mix. And in the end after EQ, it sounded very close to the U87 in the mix when A/Bd. No sense in having both. Probably something in between would be a vintage U87. One thing the TLM67 was very cool for was voiceover. All in all its a good mic and you can get them for a good price on the used market these days. If you dont already own a U87 I would say go for it. It doesnt sound or "feel" like a U67 so if that is what you are looking for, look elsewhere
Old 25th March 2012
There have been a few threads here that compare various neumann LDCs and the general consensus is that the TLM67 is darker/flatter/less hyped than a U87 or U87ai.
Old 26th March 2012
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
There have been a few threads here that compare various neumann LDCs and the general consensus is that the TLM67 is darker/flatter/less hyped than a U87 or U87ai.
This is what I found also FWIW. I'd love to have a TLM67 to augment my 87i
Old 26th March 2012
I tried both...

Well, the only difference there is how the 87 lowmid sound steps down a octave in the tlm67... Thats all I can say.. The tlm67 was better than the u87 outside à kickdrum as it did not distorted at the same volyme
Old 26th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Have matched consecutive pairs of both. Different horses for different courses. IMHO, one can't replace another. TLM67s are dark, smoky, smoother high, a velvety HF, not very modern sounding (which is why I love them) . The U87s are what they are: Studio work horses, in a pinch will work on just about anything. And that quality is what makes them irreplaceable in anyone's mic locker. But they have a brighter upper mid, and an exaggerated high end ( not in a bad way, just compared to TLM67s)
Old 27th March 2012
Lives for gear
I can get one for $1500 (which I don't really have)...I've got the gas a little.
Old 27th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
I've got the gas a little.
The price of gas is seriously limiting my GAS lately! Honest to the Big Guy upstairs, I'm budgeting $150 a week between the family Ford Flex and my F150 and even having to restrict driving on that.

Sorry, off topic...

Buy a U87 first, due to its workhorse nature. Get the TLM67 afterwards. Both are excellent microphones.
Old 27th March 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

In all honesty John, don't own either, but would strongly prefer the TLM 67 for my "full"/retro sort of bari voice (think 60's Country/Soul or Outlaw).

IMHO I think you'll prefer the TLM67 too...

Chris

P.S. Might get the Blue Baby Bottle (low ender here), that somewhat
approachs the TLM's vibe FWIW.
Old 27th March 2012
Lives for gear
Everybody around here talks about the 87ai being bright...I've borrowed one from a friend and I wouldn't characterize it as bright at all. Has a really smooth top but veeery midrangey. A little too much for my tastes. Comparing it to my Miktek CV4, it has much more mid in the 500 range while the Miktek seems really bright and a little scooped in comparison. Honestly, I was kinda shocked. I love the sound of the CV4, but one of my very few complaints has been the top end sibilance. Really wish it had the top of the 87.
Old 27th March 2012
Gear Addict

I dont think my U87Ai is bright at all. My RefC is way bright. For $1500 though, I would even buy another one (TLM67) at that price. You can always add EQ in the 5-6K range (it takes EQ as well as the U87). The TLM67 did have more low end than the 87... Another thing about the U87 is it really takes on the character of the preamp more so than other mics I have. It sounds much different on an X73i than the Avalon 737. Other mics tend to keep their character more IMO.
Old 27th March 2012
Lives for gear
Interesting...you're not helping my gas.
Old 27th March 2012
Gear Addict

Sorry... If you dont like it, you probably would not have trouble selling one for $1500 around here. Keep that in mind.
Old 27th March 2012
Lives for gear

I have tried both, the TLM67 through vintech and the u87ai through SSL Alpha channel.

I have a high pitched, slightly nasal voice, and the u87ai is like a magnifying glass for this. Totally ugly. The tlm67 on the other hand, sounded so nice, neutral, not too polished, and did not feel hyped in any way anywhere in the spectrum, like the u87ai can be on the high mids.

To give it a fair shot, the preamp used with the tlm67 was better, but still, I got a pretty good idea of the character.

Bottom line is, I want a tlm67, and I don't want a u87ai.
Old 28th March 2012
Gear Addict

I shot out a U87ai against a TLM67, and I found the U87 to have far more detail. The TLM67, to me, sounded dull in comparison.
Old 28th March 2012
Gear Addict

Depends on the application. For acoustic instruments, room mics, etc, yes the TLM67 is not a good choice. For a guitar cab, vocals, it works much better.
Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I shot out a U87ai against a TLM67, and I found the U87 to have far more detail. The TLM67, to me, sounded dull in comparison.

Neumann will solve that one, too.

TLM87
Old 28th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Neumann will solve that one, too.

TLM87
Shhhh... be quiet, darnit. We're hoping they won't think of that.
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Nut

I had a U87 and I still have a TLM67. I have found out, that you can change the sound of the TLM67 drastically by using a different preamp. I used a Manley SLAM, a GML2020 and a BAE 1084. The BAE 1084 made the TLM67 sounding better than ever before. What people here call "dullness" was blown away immediately in every way.

Everybody knows, that you have to use EQ with a TLM67. But that's not a disadvantage. You don't have sibillance problems with a TLM67. It simply sounds more neutral.

It has been already mentioned: Both the U87 and the TLM67 can sound very very close to each other.
Old 26th July 2015
Here for the gear

I have both U87Ai & Tlm 67 & find that the 67 gives me slightly more detail and character which I really love. Its a little darker than the u87 on the bottom end and with slight eq you can get the Tlm 67 to sound almost identical to the 87.
If I had to pick Id go Tlm 67 just.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search