The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trouble with my Radar...Please Help!!
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict

Trouble with my Radar...Please Help!!

I have a really weird problem with my Radar that only comes up every so often. But it's so bad that I'll loose a whole day before it gets better. If it doesn't stop after half an hour I'll just go home, and usually it's fine the next day. Anyway...the problem is that when I'm mixing it will start going crazy with static spikes, sometimes continuous and sometimes every 10 seconds or so...sometimes across 15-20 channels, sometimes 2-3 channels. The trouble is that I can't get it to stop when it's doing it and I can't get it to do it when it isn't. And it only happens every few months. So I've had trouble diagnosing the problem. I'll describe my setup and what I've tried and hopefully you guys might have an idea or two.

This only happens when I'm mixing, if I switch back to my input setup it's just fine.

My mixing routing is:

PT > TDIF > Radar > Console/outboard gear > Radar > AES > PT

My input routing is

Console > TDIF > PT > AES (playback) > Radar > Central Station

BTW, it's a newer Radar Nyquist V.

It's like the static that happens when clock sources are out of sync. But I don't think that's the trouble here. I'm using the Radar as the master and Digi 192 as a slave using wordclock. But if I reverse them, it doesn't fix the problem.

I have unplugged and replugged everything. I have replaced cables. I have power cycled. I have reinstalled the operating system.

A few months ago, a guy at IZ Corp thought it might be a hardware issue...maybe some of the cards weren't seated properly on the motherboard. So I opened it up and checked everything out. It seemed to stop after that, but again, that doesn't mean anything cause it came up again a month later.

I tried something last night that stopped the static. I went to the back of the Radar and unplugged one of the TDIF cables, and the static stopped. I plugged it back in and it started again. So I unplugged the other TDIF cable and the same thing. That doesn't solve my problem, but it might be a clue.

Last night I also noticed that if I disarmed certain tracks on the Radar it seemed to make the static spikes stop. Like it would be going crazy and I disarmed track 15 and they stopped. Then when I rearmed 15 they'd start again. Several of the channels did that, but most wouldn't make a difference.

Somebody mentioned to me once that not all TDIF cables are approved for use with certain gear. A TDIF cable that works with Tascam gear may not necessarily work well with Digidesign gear, etc. What do you all think?

Please help me. I'm tired of this happening, and I'm really close to sending it up to IZ for service. The trouble is that it would put my studio out of commission for a while. So any ideas you guys have would be really appreciated.

thanks
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Nut

Hi Phelbin,
I've responded to your thread here:
http://recordingtheworld.infopop.cc/...2/m/9161018233

Any comments about the TDIF cables with Digidesign would be appreciated.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

RADAR & "STATIC"

I am using a RADAR II with TDIF cables to a DAW and Analog mixer to the RADAR. I am not running PT I am running Logic on a G5.

I will hear static and the RADAR meter bridge will go wild on the armed tracks if there is a clocking mismatch, i.e. I change the sample rate on the DAW. I also use my RADAR as the master clock.

When the problem happens are you using the RADAR just for its AD and DA conversion or are you comming off the the RADAR hard disk? On rare occasion things will get flakey with the DAW RADAR TDIF connection. I start by closing Logic and powering off my Motu 2408 TDIF box. I then reboot the RADAR followed by turning the MOTU 2408 back on. Then I check the Audio Midi setup in the Mac and make sure that the clock and all of my outputs are properly designated. Lastly, I launch Logic and this has never failed me.

My hunch is that you are having a clocking problem. Are you using BNC cables? Where did yo buy them? Are you clocking through the TDIF cables?

The the prolem persist if you are mixing down not bouncing back into the RADAR?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search