The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
high quality sub $1000 Pre Amps?
Old 19th May 2006
Here for the gear

high quality sub $1000 Pre Amps?

Hi,

We are an online retailer in Canada specializing in high end studio gear. We are getting a lot of requests to carry some sub-$1000 products specifically pre-amps.

I don't really know the sub-$1000 products line up so I was hoping I could get some suggestions on some really good sounding pre-amps that are priced well.

Thanks!
Lily
proaudiocanada.com
Old 19th May 2006
Yamaha just got a very good review on their amps one of the magainzes.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict

Lunchbox type stuff. The first 1 or 2 will probably be over $1000, but then you get into the sub $1000 range...OSA, BAE, API, Purple, Buzz, A-Designs, etc....
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanveen
Lunchbox type stuff. The first 1 or 2 will probably be over $1000, but then you get into the sub $1000 range...OSA, BAE, API, Purple, Buzz, A-Designs, etc....
i dont understand the lunchbox thing. sure some brands do sell some cheeper modules but the real API stuff costs more in a lunchbox than in a rack mount version.
Old 19th May 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanveen

Are we talking CDN or US prices? The above are good choices. I would like to see Noah getting some A-Designs product. BAE only sells direct from my understanding so probably Purple and A-Desings would be a good choice since I don't really think there are many Purple dealers up here in Canada.

These pres are under $1000 but then you have to add a rack and power supply and suddenly it is not so cheap anymore.

AEA is coming out with a 2ch ribbon mic pre that should be under a grand. It could be a good selling point since you guys carry Coles ribbons now, plus AEA sells ribbon mics as well.
Old 19th May 2006
lunchbox!!!!!!!!

its the wave of the future!.........or past.........but its a good wave.
Old 19th May 2006
Here for the gear

thanks all. API is out cause they 'already have too many dealers' (according to them) however once all is said and done the pres would be more than $1000 anyway it seems.

Are there other manufactures that do 'lunchbox' style?

Lily
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Grace mono preamp 101

about $600 usd here
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation
Yamaha just got a very good review on their amps one of the magainzes.
they said PRE amp

Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Sub-$1000 pres

Check out the Safe Sound Audio P1, made in the UK by an ex-neve guy.
www.safesoundaudio.com

Sold in the US by Front End Audio, don't know about Canada
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Head

API Lunchbox without a doubt. You can get the lunchbox and a single great pre from API, Shadow Hills, A-Designs, you name it for under or around $1000. As a bonus you have 5 additional slots for expansion later (pres, eqs, comps and more to come)

A great thread for info on lunchbox options can be found here https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...ght=500+series
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Summit, Avalon, Universal Audio, and Toft each make a couple of products like this, also the True systems P-SOLO and the ROBBIE from Blue.

DP
Old 19th May 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

They already sell UA, and Shadow Hills is only available from Vintage King in the USA. I'm thinking A-Designs for the 500 form factor might be the way to go. You also get attenuators and fab tube pres form them too. I'd give you my money if you stocked A-Designs.
Old 19th May 2006
dbm
Lives for gear

I don't know how people feel about Sebatron around these parts but the one channel with and without the VU meter is under 1000.
Old 19th May 2006
Here for the gear

hey colin, we actually now carry A-Designs! look for it to be on the website early next week or you can email me directly for prices. ([email protected])
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quad Eight
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

You could sell the Great River products for under $1000!
Otherwise, high quality--you'd probably have to look at single channel. Plenty of good quality preamps for cheap--The Brick and Dav come to mind. RNP. Apogee Pre. Grace. Depends on how many channels.
I'd really consider Dav and the Blue Robbie.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by limey222
Check out the Safe Sound Audio P1, made in the UK by an ex-neve guy.
www.safesoundaudio.com

Sold in the US by Front End Audio, don't know about Canada
looks cool. wonder how it sounds.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Head

i think the speck 5.0, the toft ec1 and atc2, grace 101, and the fmr rnp would be great sub-$1000 pres off the top of my head. ive used the grace and rnp and have heard tracks done with the other units and i can say, they give some of the multi-thousand pres a run for their money. probably blasphemy in this forum, but yeah, they are really good performers for their price.
Old 19th May 2006
Deleted User
John Hardy M-1.

The single channel 1/2 rack unit is around $1k I believe.
Old 19th May 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by proaudiocanada
hey colin, we actually now carry A-Designs! look for it to be on the website early next week or you can email me directly for prices. ([email protected])
Ask and ye shall recieve.

BTW, I have dealt with PAC before and these guys are good people.
Old 19th May 2006
Here for the gear

Great River has never returned an email. We've sent them a few since opening two years ago.

What is DAV? I've never heard of that before.

I've heard from a few people that RNP sounds good, but is just a tad too ghetto for what we are trying to do. There are lots of great retail stores in Canada that service the lower end products. We are trying to specialize in the more esoteric type products. One's that typically are not in stock in Canada.

... thanks for the props Colin!
Old 19th May 2006
Digital Audio Visual http://www.davelectronics.com/

I'd probably buy a bunch of these if they had more gain (I like 70dB for ribbons).
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I don't really know the sub-$1000 products line up so I was hoping I could get some suggestions on some really good sounding pre-amps that are priced well.
TAB-Funkenwerk V-78
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Great River NV1 is pretty much all around for me, Sebatron for color. Seven circle audio, C84 sounds pretty good ($150 kit ), I can build one for a small fee!! If you want to spend more $$ get the Germanium.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy
Grace mono preamp 101

about $600 usd here
Yeah, I was gonna ask what kinda dollars you're talking about.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

For a one channel unit I am not sure, but a lot of highend dual channel pres are under $2000.
Brent Averill two channels of 312's is something like $1450 I think.

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great River has never returned an email. We've sent them a few since opening two years ago.

What is DAV? I've never heard of that before.

I've heard from a few people that RNP sounds good, but is just a tad too ghetto for what we are trying to do. There are lots of great retail stores in Canada that service the lower end products. We are trying to specialize in the more esoteric type products. One's that typically are not in stock in Canada.

... thanks for the props Colin!
The RNP is ghetto? ... that's an interesting characterization. "Esoteric" and high end/high price are not mutually exclusive to one another.

I recommend that you put the 2006 San Francisco AES on your calender. Most of the players in the industry will be there.
Old 20th May 2006
grace 101 (Grace mono preamp 101)
Sebatron vmp1000e VU or Sebatron vmp-1000e (non VU version)
TAB-Funkenwerk V-78

these are all value preamps that are all under $1000
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Grace m101.
SPL Gainstation!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search