The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API3124 or UA4110
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

API3124 or UA4110

Hi there,

I need 4 more channels of High end Pres for drums, vox, ac. guit, bass, horns..
well everything.
Has anyone had a chance to compare the 3124 with the 4110?
I'm after warm vintage sound.

I already have UA2108, DAV BG1, and will also get the TAB V76.
Having not heard many different Pres, it's difficult to get an idea of how they will sound.
Can anyone advice?

Thx

Jean
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict

I havn't heard the 4110 so I can't comment there but I do have two UA2108's and can't believe they discontinued them. Based on the fact that you too already have the 2108, I'd go for the 3124+ as they are great for pretty much everything.

I didn't see any Neve's in your list so I'd highly recommend a 10XX series as I think they are warmer/slower than the API.

Don't hesitate on a V76, they're great for vocals.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict

Also haven't heard the new UA pres, but apparently they're supposed to be on the clean side. Not what I usually look for when tracking rock drums. On the other hand, the 3124+ kicks some ass.

BTW, that 2108 is my absolute favorite pre on kick and snare, as well as a bunch of other sources. Those things kick serious ass...
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanogil
Hi there,

I need 4 more channels of High end Pres for drums, vox, ac. guit, bass, horns..
well everything.
Has anyone had a chance to compare the 3124 with the 4110?
I'm after warm vintage sound.

I already have UA2108, DAV BG1, and will also get the TAB V76.
Having not heard many different Pres, it's difficult to get an idea of how they will sound.
Can anyone advice?

Thx

Jean
I am not sure what a warm vintage sound is...the highs rolled off? You can get that with any pre.

Both the api and the circuit the UA is modelled off of are vintage in that they are old (time tested ) designs.

I would normally say you can go with both and be fine, and you can. But I dont think that is what you are after. And these units are too different for that.

The API's are more flexible going from a forward clean to a transformer saturated fullness.

The UA's circuit will start fuzzing out when pushed hard. And this can be a great sound, but is this something you will want on many things.

I think for versatility, given your choices, the API would be best.

If you really want your recordings to have the option of the UA "fuzz" (for lack of a better word) then go with the 4110. (Oh and that is not to say they dont have a clean....they do, but it still has a signature on it that reduces, for me, their utility)

I use my API's much much more than my UA box. But that is the sound I prefer.

Good luck,
David
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanColson
BTW, that 2108 is my absolute favorite pre on kick and snare, as well as a bunch of other sources. Those things kick serious ass...
I agree! I was seriously shock when UA discontinued it. I'm holding onto my 2108 for dear life!
Old 19th May 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
I will agree to this as well. I use my 4ch of 2108 for all drum duty. They kill on electric guitars as well. I love the 2108 and I want another 2ch of them.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict

From the UA Website:
Quote:
The 4110 provides four channels of premium Class A, all discrete amplification and is the first analog product from Universal Audio to break from our vintage roots and offer a world-class tool of "ultra-fidelity" and still provide musical and warm euphonics.
Sounds like a new design to me. I haven't really heard many impressions of these boxes, or much buzz about them at all except when they were first announced. The competition is pretty stiff at this price point. Anyone have any first hand experience?
Old 19th May 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
From the UA Website:

Sounds like a new design to me. I haven't really heard many impressions of these boxes, or much buzz about them at all except when they were first announced. The competition is pretty stiff at this price point. Anyone have any first hand experience?
According to UA either the input or output stage is the same as the 2108. I can not remember which.
Old 19th May 2006
lwr
Gear Addict

3124 always!
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Nut

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search