The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gamma 8
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Gamma 8

Years ago when I toured some of the submarines in Pearl Harbor I marveled at the quality of craftsmanship of 60 year old components. The GAMA 8 would have been at home in one of the electronics racks. I have never held something that was so OVER BUILT. From an esthetic standpoint it is over the top.

Wins the beauty contest but can she sing? I am going to try and get it hooked up tonight and put my ears on. If it sounds half as good as it looks I'll be happy.

I'm off to the patch bay.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

GAMA 8

Sounds fun! Congrats on receiving the beast...a number of Gearslutz have found the wait time dismaying to say the least.

Curious as to what # you recently received...check out the back plate on it if you don't mind.

It should read something like SHGAMA???

She is a thing of beauty. Did you go with 4 channels of the St. Ives? How about the 24 position knobs?

Best, trans
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Guru

well, i just have the mono gama, and i love it. It sure would be great to have 8
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

A Big Bang

I finally got the new Gama 8 racked up and have experimented with a number of microphones on vocals and acoustic guitar. Talk about color-- the nickle, iron, and steel, as well as transformerless are all very rich with tone. I can tell that it will be one of my favorites. I am still amazed at the price point. It is truely a bargin to get 8 preamps of this quality for what VK charges. I would rate it as one of the best preamps I have heard, certainly on par with my Neve 1084s. The only thing that the Neve 1084s has over the Gamma 8 is more gain for driving ribbon mics and EQ. But the gamma 8 has 8 channels. Great buy.... no regrets.

The construction is a work of art. Ahhhh so much gear.... so little time.
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Maniac

SHGAMAXXX?

Excellent. No tag on the back indicating the production number?
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Serial #

SN # GAMA0045
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

I love my GAMA8. It's little magic eye lamp is lit every day in my studio. My one pet peev (sp?) is not with the preamp, but the fact that everyone keeps calling it a "GAMMA", like it's a grandma or somethin'. It's GAMA, folks. One M, if you please. Golden Age Microphone Amp.

Sorry if I'm bein' a prick.
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

GAMA 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater
I love my GAMA8. It's little magic eye lamp is lit every day in my studio. My one pet peev (sp?) is not with the preamp, but the fact that everyone keeps calling it a "GAMMA", like it's a grandma or somethin'. It's GAMA, folks. One M, if you please. Golden Age Microphone Amp.

Sorry if I'm bein' a prick.
Thanks, attention to detail is a virtue.
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Maniac

#45!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsun
SN # GAMA0045
Cool, thanks. Thought it also could be useful for people who do searches on this sight to perhaps develop some kind of an idea of a timeline for who fast they can receive their orders from Shadow Hills.

Best, trans
Old 22nd May 2006
hh3
Here for the gear

I have #11, and am thrilled with it.The Gama is built like a Tank,the power transformer looks like it came off my Super Reverb.It is built to last.It sounds wonderful as well,heck, thats the point.I could have spent my money on a number of good proven pres,but I bought the Gama unheard,basicly on Peters reputation.I would do it again in a heartbeat.I guess I did,as I am waiting on a compressor as well.I do know that when it arrives it will be over the top as well.
Harry
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Maniac

I've got #3 over here and I couldn't be any more pleased.

well...

maybe if I had 2 GAMA's heh heh

Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Serial #44 is sitting in my living room with a look on it's face similar to that of a lonely, neglected puppy dog.

It arrived a few weeks ago and I don't get into my new studio space until June... so at this point it's merely a glorious conversation piece. Might as well still be waiting for it, as I've nothing to plug it into until June 10. Doh!

If it helps anything though, I ordered it at the beginning of January, and received it at the end of April. But I doubt my timeline will give hints to others in the queue, as Peter has supposedly sped up production since.
Old 22nd May 2006
hh3
Here for the gear

I recieved mine last summer about 4 weeks after I ordered.And I too would probably like it much better if I had two.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Addict

4 "iron" stickers will put a nice "smiley face heh " EQ on your discrete channels.
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I got my GAMA 8 a few days ago and all I can say is that it is amazing. You have to see/hear one in person to appreciate it. I ordered mine back at the end of October and have passed up a few chances to get one sooner because of the revisions that Peter has been making. Mine has 4 of the updated St. Ives channels and my faceplate is engraved with the iron setting on 4 of them instead of the iron stickers. I love it love love it.

I thought I would upload a quick mp3 of a track I recorded the day I got my with my GAMA 8. This track was recorded for nothing more than to get an idea down. It has not been mixed, and has no EQ, compression, or effects. There is just a simple 8 mic setup, 5 for drums and 3 for guitar and bass. As for the musicianship goes, it is a scratch live take (no click or overdubs) and probably the 5th time the band has played the song. There are only two musicians playing in this track, a drummer, and a guitar player playing through two guitar amps and a custom bass rig (the guitar has a bass pickup with a separate output.) I didn’t really spend much time setting up the mics since we were just interested in getting our idea down and I wanted to check out my new preamps Don’t be harsh if you plan on criticizing the recording, I just put it up here so people could get a general idea of how a GAMA might sound on a rock tune. If anyone is thinking about buying one of these, don’t hesitate, it was worth every penny, and every bit of the wait. I will not be selling it

P.S. Gearslutz has ruined my life… I am poor man because of it, and am obsessed with gear.
Attached Files

unsaid.mp3 (5.52 MB, 249 views)

Old 4th June 2006
Gear Nut

gama tones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbend
I thought I would upload a quick mp3 of a track I recorded the day I got my with my GAMA 8. This track was recorded for nothing more than to get an idea down. It has not been mixed, and has no EQ, compression, or effects. There is just a simple 8 mic setup, 5 for drums and 3 for guitar and bass.
what transformer settings did you use?
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Maniac

GAMA

Sounds like you've got some great tracks to start mixing!
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Guitars: One Iron, One Steel
Bass: Iron
Kick: Steel
Snare: Steel
Overheads: nickel
Room: Discrete

I can't wait to record a full version of this song with overdubs and vocals. Should be good. I love the GAMA.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search