The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your #1 compressor when mixing bass! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Addict

Purple 77 on the way in and/or in the mix. It's just right!

GM
Old 1st October 2007
The RNC craps out on low freqs The RNLA has color/mojo and for really cheap you can get some nice dirt out of the dbx 163x.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Chao_Chao View Post
What would you use for giving your bass some Mojo for under $500. I think that for the dynamic control there are a lot of options, even a RNC will do the work, but for caracter what options are there in the low cost scenario?
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Maniac

Vintage Melcor 220 and just a touch of Vintage API 525 compressor set in the limit mode. Sick Fat.
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

1176,La2a,La3a,Neve 2264,UA 175,DBX 165,160VU,160x
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Maniac

Michael,
No more luv for the glory comp on bass??
If not, I'll guess I'll mention it, pretty tasty.
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

I get the sound of my vision by using a SansAmp Bass Driver DI straight into an AMEK CIB with a slight compression into an A/D (Lucid) using either Sonalksis Comp, UAD LA2A or 1176, Liquid Mix EQ, Cambridge (for surgical operations), Vintage Warmer II or Ampeg SVG (for grit) ITB.

Works like a charm.

PS I did however mod the customized Samick Greg Bennet bass by bypassing all electronics in the EQ stage (bypassing ALL electronics - what a difference).

I'm a songwriter with a background as an AE, though. Tried a LOT.
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Head

160VU

Instrumental
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear
i tend to use either a dbx 160a or an la2a....i just bought a 2500 and im pretty curious to see how this sounds on bass being that its doing a mighty fine job on everything else ive used it for. when its ITB the uad la2a is my go to comp...its my go to plug in comp for almost every instrument.
Old 2nd October 2007
For tracking, a little Culture Vulture on one channel and the the Phoenix on both channels.

For mixing, lately the Penduleum 6386 has been my goto, specifcially on the inserts rather than before the channel, so that the EQ is in front and so that I can get more compression by boosting the tape return. The 6386 has a great tone for putting bass in its place. I"ve been using the manual mode, 1/2dB or so on the meter, attack on set due east, release set due west (I'm tired of type o'clock). That's great for leveling, but still allowing the natural dynamic through so that I don't have to ride back in what i compressed out. When I need more punch, or to make a player sound tighter and neater, I'll put the transient designer after it.
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
the best bass compressor on the planet, bar none: 456 @ 15ips.

gregoire
del ubik

Forgot about that one
Old 3rd October 2007
Gear Head

DynaMite

Old Valley People DynaMite: nothing faster, major mojo and a little dirt to boot!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search