The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your #1 compressor when mixing bass! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
(old one kicks the reissues ass on bass),
Which "old" one, because all the ones I've heard (and that's quite a few, now) have sounded quit different. In fact, some were down right "flunkies" that I wouldn't use on ANYTHING. The design, aging and care of the units greatly effects their usefulness in their 20+ year life span. The reissue, love it or hate it, means you know at least what to expect.

On that note, for rock and pop, I pretty much exclusively use a reissue 1176. I have yet to find an "old" one that can grab and hold a bass guitar the same way the news one do.

Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

I use the DBX 903 for both amp in DI.
I have different comps, but these seem to work great for me.
Pretty much the same as the 160x.
Old 14th September 2006
Gear Guru

Symetrix 501
Old 14th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dokushoka View Post
Which "old" one, because all the ones I've heard (and that's quite a few, now) have sounded quit different. In fact, some were down right "flunkies" that I wouldn't use on ANYTHING. The design, aging and care of the units greatly effects their usefulness in their 20+ year life span. The reissue, love it or hate it, means you know at least what to expect.

On that note, for rock and pop, I pretty much exclusively use a reissue 1176. I have yet to find an "old" one that can grab and hold a bass guitar the same way the news one do.

Thats because they were tired and need some help. Most are out of alignment, all suffer from poor caps and those who re-cap sometimes miss the side chain circuits. I just sent one out and I installed 4700 uf caps to pull residual hum out, large local psu bypasses, quality low impedance electrolytics bypassed with high voltage film caps for the signal path, Motorola MPSA18 transistors for the 5117's and this ver.G had the opamp input which I used a TI THS opamp and replaced the resistor array with matched Dale RN55's.

Blue Stripes have a potted preamp module inside that will eventually fail because an electrolytic cap in encased and dries out. Be aware of that.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 14th September 2006
Gear Addict

For me it's the Retrospec Squeezebox made by Ken McKim of Bearsville and Allaire studios. They are no longer manufactured. This is a really beautiful comp on Bass.

best
Magnet Mixerhands
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

TLA-50 or Distressor.
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear

tube tech.... creamy , sort of paul mccartneyish fat sound.... comes to mind...
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear

Compressor for bass

For bass compressors, it totally depends on what kind of sound you are after. For something more "natural" sounding, where the bass sounds pretty good "as is" I prefer the Anthony Demaria CL 1500 as its so smooth and pleasant. For something more in your face, I prefer the old dbx 160 VU (Jim Williams of Audio Upgrades did a great job fixing mine up here recently - he is a gem). For something REALLY in your face, aggressive with a lot of character and some noise, the old (Waltham Mass made) dbx 163 is really great. I don't have any experience with the later 163 units with letters after them, I just have a pair of the old ones with the one slider nob that says "More" on it. Yes, its a bit nasty and the bastard child of the first generation dbx units, but it really has character and huge "grab" to it. If the bass has too much snap in places and some notes are too loud compared to others, I use my Urei LA-22, which allows you to select the specific frequency range you want to compress and this will really save your butt in leveling out the sound of some bass tracks. I am suprised more people to do not mention the LA-22 in these threads as its really useful for some things and does things no other compressor will do.

J. Mike Perkins jmikeperkins.com
Old 15th December 2006
Lives for gear

I have a bluestripe that has the factory added LN and it smokes on bass. My fav compressor. I use it all the time. Kills on vocals.

http://cgi.ebay.com/UNIVERSAL-AUDIO-...QQcmdZViewItem

If you get it, make sure you have it gone through by a worthy tech.
Old 15th December 2006
Gear Nut

Compex, baby. Awwww yeahhhh.
Sometimes an Altec 438c.
Sometimes a UA-175B.
Sometimes the BF76 plugin in series with one of the above, but not often.
Pyes rule though, as does the BA-6A.
Those are next on my list, but at $6K a pair for Pyes and $3500 for the RCA,
it may be awhile...

-sw
Old 15th December 2006
Lives for gear

Distressor. (Sometimes a 1176)
Old 15th December 2006
Gear Maniac

Bass Sound

Music Man Stingray5 -> Wunder PEQ1 -> STC8 Preset B!

Everything that you have struggled with with your bass sound.... fixed. done. finito.
Old 15th December 2006
Lives for gear

Used to be a 160 did the job fine for me. For the past several months, I've really been digiing the ADL 1000 inserted into the bass channel. Holds my bass track perfect in the mix!
Old 15th December 2006
Lives for gear

An amp and cab.
Old 15th December 2006
Lives for gear

ADL-1000.....mmm delicious on Bass.
Old 15th December 2006
Gear Addict

B&B CX1...that was tracked from a MM310 or REDD 47. Clean and simple...
Old 15th December 2006
I like a SWR special studio top with DI out (after EQ) and the compressor from the amp itself.

also split signals and recording one trough a SANSamp is very cool:D

vintagewarmer at last and some sonalksis to tame the lowend and search where the kick is (or should) smashing trough.

cheers
Old 15th December 2006
Lives for gear

For my own stuff lately just with fader-ridings.
Old 16th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcause View Post
Music Man Stingray5 -> Wunder PEQ1 -> STC8 Preset B!

Everything that you have struggled with with your bass sound.... fixed. done. finito.
I use the STC-8 preset B whenever I'm tracking bass as well. For some reason it sounds better than the approximate preset settings listed in the manual. Maybe Dave Hill just hit the sweet spot with this preset. When mixing I use either of the compressors in my avatar if needed (bloo LA-2A clone and Purple MC77) .
Old 16th December 2006
Lives for gear
DBX 165 automatic attack release
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Depeneding on style of music ect and what studio I'm working in at the time but

Tube Tech CL 1B
Gates STA Level
Fatso
UA 175
LA2A

Out of these I usually go for Tube Tech CL 1b or STA level then once in a while 1176

Matt Hayes
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Live Bass- Besides 2", Distressor all the way! Put some distortion 2 on that baby and it sits fat in the mix- nice and dirty, hit pretty hard.

The Dream signal chain for bass IMO (my signal chain anyway):

Vintage Fender P-Bass>Chandler Germanium (feedback floored)>Distressor

My bass sounds have been seriously lacking for a long time...but not no more my friends!!
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watersound View Post
Replace Distressor with Chandler Germanium Compressor in that chain. Also digging Neve Portico 5043 at the moment.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watersound View Post
Live Bass- Besides 2", Distressor all the way! Put some distortion 2 on that baby and it sits fat in the mix- nice and dirty, hit pretty hard.

The Dream signal chain for bass IMO (my signal chain anyway):

My bass sounds have been seriously lacking for a long time...but not no more my friends!!

I use that exact chain a lot. The only other variation is sometimes I go with an 1176 or a 160A (depending on what sound I want).
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Nut

La2a
Daking
API 525
Distressor

but if i have to choose only

Neve 2264

Stuart
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo View Post
Gates STA-Level, sometimes followed by a distressor. An 1176 is also a good choice. Tracking bass (but not necessarily mixing) through a Manley VOX BOX is cool. Much better than cutting vocals through it IMO. We also have this cool purple tube D.I. that I use on bass all the time, but I forget who makes it. Somebody in New York I think. I'll have to take a look as I plug it in tomorrow.
Yes, Manley VB is cool on bass
Hey, who makes your purple DI?
Thanks
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Addict

Gates Solid Statesman
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

CRANKED blackface Bassman into an Ampeg Classic Cab.

Beautiful in the right hands.

Ivan

Last edited by evangelista; 1st October 2007 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

McDSP MultibandCompressor2.... <ducks and runs> anyone know where I can get a better multiband compressor to run bass over??

I usually use the joe meek plugin after that.
Old 1st October 2007
High End Moderator

for level = Chandler LTD-2
for in your face and oompf = Chandler Germanium

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search